Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 01:33 PM

Default The 7mm Practical?

Has anyone used this cartridge? What are your overall impressions? Thanks.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...Practical.html

-Billy Molls
Old 07-14-2019, 04:11 PM

I had a 7mm Yukon which is pretty close to the same thing. It was awesome.... Should have kept it, but needed the funds. It got STW speeds with much less powder.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:56 PM

I wanted to build one for years. In the end I found a great deal on a custom 28 Nosler and got that instead.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:03 PM

In the picture of the target it looks as though a bullet keyholes.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
You are kidding correct?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-14-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
lol

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:48 AM

I'm not sure if these rifles are called the Practical's but I would think that they are pretty close...

A fellow at our shooting range, and his friend both have short case Magnums with long throats,,, they bought the reamers and have continued to build more of them...

There doing the same thing with these short cases in 30 cal as well,,, super easy for them to build their own rifles...

They have a fellow South of Red Deer that threads the barrels as they look after the rest of the fittings...
Since the booltiz seat loooooong they use long action rifles with extra long bottom feeds to handle them...

Pretty kool looking rifles fore sure...

I'll get his cell number next time I run into him or his friend when they come out to the range later this summer...

👍
Old 07-15-2019, 06:54 AM

The practical is not a short case.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-15-2019, 08:36 AM

by the looks of your other tread about bullets, i see zero 'practica'l reasons for you build one of these guns. your mashburn is certainly doing all that is required as far as accuracy and killing power. pretty sure i have read remarks of yours stating the elk will never know the bullet was 200 fps slower than it could have been.
i have done a pile of building goofy guns on wildcats, ai conversions, etc, and looking back i wish i had spent the money on optics and components and just shot more.
all the time prepping, forming new brass, load development, buying tools to work with new creations, were 100% wasted, except for the experience of seeing a brainwave come to fruition.
there is no question that some of the improvements were valuable, such as 40* shoulders, to stop case length growth; but the cons of **** poor feeding unless you spend another $3-500 for a mag kit to solve the problem, hardly outweighs the gain in velocity.
all of the above remarks are solely directed at normal use hunting guns, if you were building a dedicated target rifle...............disregard all of it..........lol.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:12 PM

Whoops, my bad.

It looks like it's a 300 Winchester necked down to 7mm maybe...

7mm/300 purhaps...

Looks like a fun build fore sure

👍
Old 07-15-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
by the looks of your other tread about bullets, i see zero 'practica'l reasons for you build one of these guns. your mashburn is certainly doing all that is required as far as accuracy and killing power. pretty sure i have read remarks of yours stating the elk will never know the bullet was 200 fps slower than it could have been.
i have done a pile of building goofy guns on wildcats, ai conversions, etc, and looking back i wish i had spent the money on optics and components and just shot more.
all the time prepping, forming new brass, load development, buying tools to work with new creations, were 100% wasted, except for the experience of seeing a brainwave come to fruition.
there is no question that some of the improvements were valuable, such as 40* shoulders, to stop case length growth; but the cons of **** poor feeding unless you spend another $3-500 for a mag kit to solve the problem, hardly outweighs the gain in velocity.
all of the above remarks are solely directed at normal use hunting guns, if you were building a dedicated target rifle...............disregard all of it..........lol.
Agreed. 100%. This is for next barrel. It will likely be another Mashburn given the investment in tools, dies etc.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-15-2019, 01:40 PM

yup. i now have 2 cool wildcats that perform great; feed barely acceptable; and the only thing i can say is i get 25-06 and 280 performance from a short action.... whoopee. i keep hearing people go on about better accuracy from short vs. long action......i’ve squeezed all a gun can give from both; 3 rds touching is 3 rds touching; long or short....
maybe it’s that 1/100 th of a second in cycle time that makes a difference.
anyhow, rant over. i’ll run em cuz i have all the tools and reamers; but never waste the time ‘inventing’ a new one again

2. #1 is true.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:41 PM

This one feeds. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 07-15-2019, 09:48 PM

Many years ago I had a group of guys that I built 270 / 300 win mags for . All I can say is the left the 270 wby well behind . It is nearly the same as the 7 practical just .277 dia bullets compared to 284 dia
Old 07-19-2019, 08:43 AM

i Rechambered a Rem 700.. Have had it 3-4 years now ..
Its a 7Rem Mag on steriods!! and it is Very Accurate...
Pretty Much what a 7STW will do with middle weight Bullet s the practical will do
... i just use 7rem mag neck dies to resize after they bin through a regular 7rem mag die and fired...
Old 07-23-2019, 01:40 PM

Better this 7 WSM

https://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek064.html

if you wanted a short mag

just think its interesting