Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-25-2019, 10:47 AM

Default New Hunter - Small Game Hunting & Atim Creek

Hey Everyone;

Having just passed my Hunters Education Course, and setting up to begin planning our first hunting trip, I wanted to double check a few things before I head out.

Firstly, has anyone ever hunted in the Atim Creek Conservation area located just north of Spruce Grove proper? Any ideas what it's like, etc.?

Secondly; as we are looking to go after rabbits/hares, any recommendations on small game arrowheads?

Thirdly; I wanted to confirm I had this right - as I am bow hunting, I require the bowhunters permit & hunters licence - is there anything else I need?

Thanks for all your help!

PrpleWlf
Old 02-25-2019, 02:07 PM

I am not sure of the area though , Bow hunting hare does not require a permit or a license .
For a broad head and hare its not necessary and would be super expensive ,
Pick up some judo points < if those are too expensive drill a hole on the top of a bottle cap and put it on a field point. this will keep the arrow from deflecting and going god knows where . there are cheaper forms of arrow deflection tips like blunts etc .
Old 02-27-2019, 11:48 AM

Yup, I’ve spent time in there but wasn’t hunting. Practicing calling in early season and just bushwalking.
There are some critters in there. WT, but of moose sign.
It’s mixed black Forrest and pretty swampy, was fair bit of deadfall. Good time but would be easy to roll an ankle I would bet. Happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 02-27-2019, 12:04 PM

Their is rabbits in their for d=sure. Last year we wald around in their on Snowshoes, saw lots of rabbit sign. Be care full that is a popular spot, close to town.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:08 PM

I hunting hares during the winter, but never been there. If only mature trees and open areas, you might see the signs of rabbits but hardly find it. They like hiding in thick Brushes, under young spruces, something they feel like a roof . A pellet gun would be great if hunting small areas.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2019, 01:14 PM

Hey everyone;

It'll be a few weeks before we get out, as we're hitting up the ranges first to sight & practice with the bows.

My question is, as I've seen tossing and turning answers on this, what's the general thoughts of field points for hunting small game? Some say don't do it because they may not hit vital organs, etc. and may cause more pain. But looking at those Judo's and thumpers (I believe that's the name of them), I can't see how field points would be worse?

We've got a set of Judo's on order, but I wanted to get an idea of what the general thoughts and consensus was.

Thanks;

PrpleWlf
Old 02-28-2019, 03:13 PM

Field points being small don't create much of a wound channel as they pass through the animal so you're more likely to wound and not recover an animal. Judo points are as likely to pass completely through but, the initial impact and the spring loaded arms will definitely do a lot of damage. I've never seen a rabbit killed with a field point, but I've never seen one survive being arrowed with a judo point. And judo points don't tend to submarine under the grass and bush.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:44 PM

Hey guys;

I've been looking over the Atim Creek site; it states that the parking area is on the northeast corner of the lot - which from driving by and satellite images I think I've spotted - but, does anyone have a concrete image/description of the parking area?

I believe it's the position on the corner of the yellow square located in this picture (https://screenshots.firefox.com/YrX5...verguide.com); where there is signs of vehicle tracks and what appears to be an unmaintained...driveway...of sorts?

Thanks;

PrpleWlf