Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 08:03 PM

Default Quality rifle Suggestions

Hey everyone I am looking at purchasing a new rifle and I thought I was set on the Sako 85 Greywolf or 85 barvarian.

Anyone have experience with these or any other suggestions. Looking to get it in a 7mm Rem Mag.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Banned

If you can afford a bit more I'd suggest a cooper model 52.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:11 PM

Love the Grey Wolf, it's a bit heavier, but I like that because it makes for a lighter shot on the shoulder, you will not regret either purchase, they are both beautiful rifles, it boils down to which wood you like best!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Banned

I have had both in 7mag. Great guns but heavy. 26" barrels, detach magazines. 14" lop and set trigger on the oiled stocked Bavarian. 13.75" lop on the laminate, no set trigger.
I like my Remington 700's in 7 mag better. 24" barrel and a floorplate.
Browning makes a nice 7mag too if you like the long barrels and magazines
Old 06-28-2017, 08:40 PM

I have had both. They are solid guns for sure, but you are getting into the money it will cost you for a mint used Cooper, which in my experience is a nicer rifle.

I have nothing bad to say about the Gray Wolf. However, the Bavarian kicked hard. The recoil pad is essentially a hockey puck. It is also glued on, so not easy to remove, in fact a gunsmith did not even want to try when I took it to him.

I have had a number of Sakos. I really like them. But if you are considering a Bavarian it is because you want a nice wood-stocked rifle you can hunt with. If that is the case, my suggestion would be this:

http://store.prophetriver.com/consig...ssic-wd-bl-26/

I bet this hasn't even been shot. For a hunting rifle, Kimber offers the best combination of nice wood, great ergonomics, awesome trigger, and good accuracy. I have likely had 10 Kimbers over the years. All shot great.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors.Dad View Post
Hey everyone I am looking at purchasing a new rifle and I thought I was set on the Sako 85 Greywolf or 85 barvarian.

Anyone have experience with these or any other suggestions. Looking to get it in a 7mm Rem Mag.
The Browning X Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed could be one you may want to check out. Nice rifles for the price.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:56 AM

You can't go wrong guy with Sako, great triggers, and every one that I have owned shot very well. Cooper is another option, if you can find a nice used one for a great price, it if your budget is larger.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:10 AM

I have a only handled the Sako Gray Wolf, I like it. Shot my buddies Finnlight, much lighter and more felt recoil then expected. I prefer the Grey Wolf, looks and feel

I own a couple of Coopers, very nice and very accurate. If you don't have your heart set on Rem Mag check out this 7mm-08. Great Price!

http://store.prophetriver.com/consig...a-magazine-22/

I was gonna link that one too Should have sold already.

Last edited by sns2; 06-29-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:07 AM

more of a general statement but it seems that guys will be more than happy to spend extra money fixing up a over-the-counter rifle into the same price point or more as a rifle that they didnt have the funds for initially.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 06-29-2017, 11:18 AM

Default high-end rifles

It's a good thing I didn't start with the Blaser's, or my gun collection would be a lot smaller than it is
When I stop and think about all the rifles I have purchased in my lifetime while looking for the perfect gunI would have never looked at half of them if I started with a blaser!!
Old 06-29-2017, 11:26 AM

I have owned many big game rifles over the years, and I was never totally satisfied with most rifles until I had a custom built. When you get up into the $2500 to $3500 range, you are getting close to the custom rifle budget.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:53 AM

Ditto on the Cooper or custom rifle. The accuracy I've seen with Coopers out of the box would make you wet your pants. And for the price range, a custom rifle would be heavenly. That being said, Sakos are incredible as well. If you have your heart set on a Sako, I don't think you'll be disappointed.