Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-21-2024, 11:21 AM

Default Hornady CX Bullets...

Hey guys, just looking to hear from any of you who have used the Hornady CX bullets on game. Did you like it? How was the performance and did it hold up well? If you've used other mono bullets would you say its comparable?

I'm looking to try them this fall as they have given me the best results in the rifle I'm loading for which is a .280AI, and I'm loading the 139gr CX bullet. I'm NOT looking for opinions on other bullets. I DON"T CARE if you think another bullet is a better choice. I only want to hear about other peoples results on game they've taken with these specific bullets. Please do not be the guy who can't fully comprehend what he's reading here and tell me how XYZ bullet is better and why I should use them.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2024, 11:50 AM

Be interested to see the reviews too. That is a bullet I have never tried.
Old 09-21-2024, 12:20 PM

Sample of one, but testament to the CX holding up at extremely close range .IIRC this was taken at 11 yards.
Exit can be seen on the shoulder. Entry was on its right side between the scapula and the back bone 280 was extremely accurate at 500 plus yards as well.
Cat
Old 09-21-2024, 12:47 PM

Killed a bull moose with a 257wby 90gr GMX, not a CX but close enough
Old 09-21-2024, 04:22 PM

We've used several monometals -- GMX, CX, TTSX. Have even tested TSX and LRX.

As far as I can tell they all work just fine. As far as I know the deer didn't care whether it was Hornady or Barnes. This is for ethical hunting distances though so your mileage may differ on long distance shots. Guns were 30-06 and 7mm-08.

We never recovered any bullets, all shots have been full pass-throughs. The bullets opened up just fine from looking at the projectile paths in the animals.

LRX and plain TSX are the only bullets we haven't had a chance to use on an actual hunt, although they tested just fine. Will likely try the LRX in the future if we know we have open fields and longer distances. Got some TSX on a sale, so that's why we have some of those.

Good luck on your hunt this year!
Old 09-21-2024, 05:15 PM

Last season my dad was using my 300wsm with just factory hornady cx 180gr bullet. Shot a moose 2 times at 150yards, once front on with slight quartering so it went threw the off side shoulder and stopped at the hide and the second was perfect broadside shot and again stopped on the far side hide. The bullet from the front shot expanded well and what I'd say is proper but the broadside shot had basically no expansion at all.I'm not sure if there was a issue with the second one not having enough powder or what to cause no expansion or pass threw. Up until this moose I have never found a bullet in a animal that was killed with the 300wsm.