Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 07:21 PM

Default Not Good News

Gentlemen, I have just deleted the thread on sheep hunting at the Ops request because he says that he was getting a lot of negative comments directed at him on OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA SITES that he frequents.

There were no negative comments that I could find on 3 pages on this site.

I'm afraid that this is a sign of the times, and I'm not sure that there is anything we can do about it.

Too bad really.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:47 PM

I’m not sure what thread was deleted but if someone is getting dumped on on FB or something so be it. If someone is getting dumped on here ( a hunting outdoors forum) ban who ever the trouble maker is.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:57 PM

Was it about the 2 sheep that were taken by the fish cops pending an investigation?
Old 01-23-2018, 10:01 PM

Indeed too bad. I like to think we can help like minded folks navigate situations like that.
Im starting to think flying under the radar is the way to go in the long run.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Indeed too bad. I like to think we can help like minded folks navigate situations like that.
I think you're right. We're so badly outnumbered we have to keep a much lower profile. It's weaning off social media that may be the toughest hurdle to clear.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
I honestly think we are our own worst enemy sometimes on social media.

Outdoorsmen need to evolve with the times and stop posting ATVing/hunting/trapping pictures.

On one hand we should be proud of these pictures and have every right to post them, but on the other hand we are just giving ppl ammo, drawing attention to ourselves etc.. Its not a fight I think we can win.

Then of course there is a the ppl who post a animal they took with the caption "headshot!" or "biggest deer I've murdered yet!"..

Before social media, there was far less negative attention directed at us.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
"biggest deer I've murdered yet!"
Ok, I have never seen anyone anywhere using the word "murder" in relation to their harvest. Really?

Sounds more like "look at all those ****ers murdering bambies" and whatnot.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:55 PM

This is why AB outdoors is the only "social media" I engage in.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:26 PM

Default Shunned

I'm not sure why it is ok for people to openly say that I was born a he or she but declare that I am going to be the opposite of what my gender was when I was born. If someone says something against this procedure you are a horrible person and so on. ( Many other groups to long to list ) But a group of outdoors people, hunters,fishers,trappers and the like which have been the backbone of this country for a long time have been openly criticized for their passion of these great pastimes,or should I say NOW times. Bragging on social media should not be a bad thing( I will not brag but may post ), the rest of the not so connected with the real world people do. For what absolute reason should we be cast into the dark corners because of our passion for the outdoor activities that we love. Seems to be alright for the rest of the all about "ME" crowd.
We need stand up to this crowd, trying to educate most of them won't work.

Lord help the person or persons that confront me about my outdoor passions.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
I'm not sure why it is ok for people to openly say that I was born a he or she but declare that I am going to be the opposite of what my gender was when I was born. If someone says something against this procedure you are a horrible person and so on. ( Many other groups to long to list ) But a group of outdoors people, hunters,fishers,trappers and the like which have been the backbone of this country for a long time have been openly criticized for their passion of these great pastimes,or should I say NOW times. Bragging on social media should not be a bad thing( I will not brag but may post ), the rest of the not so connected with the real world people do. For what absolute reason should we be cast into the dark corners because of our passion for the outdoor activities that we love. Seems to be alright for the rest of the all about "ME" crowd.
We need stand up to this crowd, trying to educate most of them won't work.

Lord help the person or persons that confront me about my outdoor passions.
The lord has nothing to do with anti's,i hunted for decades and never had a bad year ,but I took few pics,i remember my hunts and hunting is personal due to killing some thing.To this day even this fall I was out with some guys and they all took pics,i wanted no part of it.
Today every one is going 24/7 texting,phoning,pics of everything from there ugly kids to every fish they caught and I don't mean that in bad way,but who really cares what your deer looks like,if I was right there sure I would want to see it.
To see some moose laying in a field or a deer means nothing to me what so ever,but to others who don't like seeing dead things ,there offended and that doesn't bother me the least cause I don't put in there face so don't push your way of life into my face.i like hunting ,fishing,logging,guiding and that's my life.

The feeling is mutual on both sides and I don't care what others do period,you go your way I go mine,There has been anti's since way before I was born.Now you fart and they hear it Africa in the gongo,no place is sacred or safe to just be a certain group of guys enjoying there life,evey one has there nose in some ones bussiness and right now it's hunters on the watch list.

So we go about our life and hunt and enjoy your activities ,but if you want to brag about being tarzan and king of killers be ready for your own medicine,you taunt them they will be on our arrs .

I respect every ones view of hunters or none hunters,just cause your a hunter doesn't make you disrespect others thought's on wild life,so your mother never liked you to swear in her home so you never swore in front of your mother any where,just plain old respect,some times I bit my lip.

But today every thing is online across the world in seconds,so as a hunter I feel that it's no ones business on face book or whatever site your on to be concerned about my life style,
i couldn't care if the whole city of vancover or any other Canadian city go about there way of life,it's like another planet to me and they seem like aliens dropped some off,but if there happy good for them cause this cat has nothing to show them that concerns them,just like I have zero concern on how they live and do not care to see one pic of there lives.Out of mind out of site specially on facebook..Remember keep your friends close and your enemy closer,but never tell the enemy what you and your friend discuss or show them your activities.
I spent a large part of my life avoiding other people when I hunted or worked and sometimes thought it wasn't right and it was none of there business now or then,but not every one wants to live in LA and be a star on face book, I ilke AO and talking about firearms and different ways to hunt and the odd argue meant,but it's just to kill time and enjoy other outdoorsman on how they enjoy there way of life as a hunter.The world is changing faster than we can think,so think ahead really fast on what your doing.

Last edited by JD848; 01-24-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:07 AM
Banned

Missed the thread. I have to wonder if the fella was getting grief from the anti hunting or the hunting community. It wouldn't surprise me if it was from other outdoorsmen. Often times we tend to eat our own.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Ok so the OP wanted the thread deleted, good on the mods to carry this out but if there was bad private messages that broke forum rules hope the OP provided them to the mods so that this can be dealt with as in suspensions or we are just giving the bad ones the win...kinda like the oilers last night

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-24-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koschenk View Post
This is why AB outdoors is the only "social media" I engage in.
Yup, to hell with the rest
Old 01-24-2018, 06:51 AM
Banned

The owner of this site needs to make it like CGN, can't view certain subforums unless you are a member and even further unless you apply for access. If I am not logged in I can still see all the threads here. At least with trolls you can ban them/IP ban them. Something to think about with "sign of the times" because having this forum freely open is stupid. ANYONE can show up and read the posts without logging in. Now before you say "iF i HaVe tO mAkE a UsErNaMe tO rEaD i DoN't WaNt To Be HeRe" then leave, thanks. If the admin/mods can ban someone for using a single letter to bypass a swear filter they should at least put up some rules to keep the antis out of here.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Gentlemen, I have just deleted the thread on sheep hunting at the Ops request because he says that he was getting a lot of negative comments directed at him on OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA SITES that he frequents.

There were no negative comments that I could find on 3 pages on this site.

I'm afraid that this is a sign of the times, and I'm not sure that there is anything we can do about it.

Too bad really.
I was physically attacked in public by a member of this forum five years ago over comments I made on a sheep thread. This is not new, our feelings just get hurt easier.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-24-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
The owner of this site needs to make it like CGN, can't view certain subforums unless you are a member and even further unless you apply for access. If I am not logged in I can still see all the threads here. At least with trolls you can ban them/IP ban them. Something to think about with "sign of the times" because having this forum freely open is stupid. ANYONE can show up and read the posts without logging in. Now before you say "iF i HaVe tO mAkE a UsErNaMe tO rEaD i DoN't WaNt To Be HeRe" then leave, thanks. If the admin/mods can ban someone for using a single letter to bypass a swear filter they should at least put up some rules to keep the antis out of here.
Should go even further to provide 3 or 4 pics of you with a dead animal or fish as well.....
Old 01-24-2018, 07:14 AM

I am afraid to say this but I think this is all being handled incorrectly .
First they ridicule you to the point where you keep your successes quiet
then we all keep it completely to ourselves and this leads to the lack of desire to participate in the hunt over fear someone will find out !!
By doing this the hunt has been shut down completely because we failed to speak out and fight back.
This is not the time to curl up and hide .
Grow some kahunas and stand up for yourselves and stand together as those weak minded tree hugging wetodds..
If they complain about one post then its time to put up 10 .
Old 01-24-2018, 07:21 AM
Banned

A.cp rail worker was fired from her job from social media postings. Lots of racy modelling shots, lots of photo shoots with guns or sexy shots with animal horns.

She was all over one of the facebook hunting groups.

There's lots of posts online that get people upset... It's not limited to posts on animals.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:29 AM
Banned

On a side note I find it interesting to see people say hunters are to blame or that people shouldn't share their passions or their way of life.

If your passionate and proud of what you do you should be sharing it. You shouldn't be afraid to do so, you shouldn't let others attack your way of life.

There's so many threads on protecting ones property from thieves where they will get handled a certain way but attack ones way of life and the answers is to hide your passions and hide your way of life???
Old 01-24-2018, 07:35 AM
Banned

I put more emphasis on keeping quiet about who I work for than what I post on social media. If they don't know who you work for then they can't go to your employer.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
then we all keep it completely to ourselves and this leads to the lack of desire to participate in the hunt over fear someone will find out !!
By doing this the hunt has been shut down completely because we failed to speak out and fight back.
Grow some kahunas and stand up for yourselves and stand together as those weak minded tree hugging wetodds..
If they complain about one post then its time to put up 10
Must..... find..... "LIKE".... button....

^Yep, totally agree. Those that know I hunt and prepare my own meals from those hunts, know better than to start degrading my choice in lifestyle. Those that are offended when they first meet me, know immediately after degrading my lifestyle that I won't change for anyone, anywhere, anytime.

That being said, I always hesitate to disclose details about my hunting/fishing/outdoors lifestyle when meeting someone new until I get a feeling about where they may stand on similar issues. If I get the feeling that someone will be offended, I would rather keep it to myself UNLESS confronted.

But as hunters/fishermen/outdoorsmen (and women) we should never, ever back down. If life has taught us anything by surviving rough conditions out there, it's that we need to fight harder when challenged.

J.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:26 AM

I also agree with bluetick and jcrayford. I enjoy sharing photos of landscapes, water, animals, fish, and the wild game that I cook. I am not just going to keep those to myself, I live far from my hometown, so when I am posting photos my friends and family can see what I am up to! I enjoy sharing photos of my experience in the outdoors as much as I enjoy looking at my friends and families photos of their experiences.

What has been said multiple times on this forum is true, after taking an animal and getting a photo in the field, be respectful of the animal! Take a photo your mother would love!

At the end of the day, each to their own. On this forum I won't harp on anyone for not engaging in social media and expect that nobody will hassle me about using social media.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:35 AM

I quit hunting farmland because of the grief you get. So I just figure let the less knowledgeable just use there cars as the drive in from their acreages to work in the city, to keep the deer pop under control. And the body shops busy. That way when they wine for deer control I can lobby for no cars allowed for they are killing our deer.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
If they complain about one post then its time to put up 10 .
Just so you use the reference correctly, they do sound fairly similar:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cojones
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahuna
Old 01-24-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Just so you use the reference correctly, they do sound fairly similar:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cojones
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahuna
Didn't have time to reference but thanks for the literature lesson . Are an anti in real life ? Didn't think we could swear on here so I went with the closest reference that would relate
Old 01-24-2018, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
I quit hunting farmland because of the grief you get. So I just figure let the less knowledgeable just use there cars as the drive in from their acreages to work in the city, to keep the deer pop under control. And the body shops busy. That way when they wine for deer control I can lobby for no cars allowed for they are killing our deer.
Yup and at the same time they'll take away cars and hunting and just spend billions in public transit.

Worst post of the day goes to you bro!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:11 AM

The trappers on this forum have figured this out long ago. They still have a healthy exchange, but don't fill their subforum with gruesome photos that could be used as ammunition by others.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
The trappers on this forum have figured this out long ago. They still have a healthy exchange, but don't fill their subforum with gruesome photos that could be used as ammunition by others.
"gruesome"
Old 01-24-2018, 10:39 AM

I will tell you for a fact that fish and wildlife spend a ton of money on techs looking at social media pages for pictures of animals, triangulate the picture to make sure you shot it in a zone you could.
Friend of mine that is a prison guard had a guy in the Reman center on charges for killing a bull elk.
FOund out he put a pic on facebook thats what the fish cops used to figure out he shot it in the wrong zone, did a dna sample and proved it.
Guy could not pay the fine so he was in jail for a number of days.
SO watch what you post.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I was physically attacked in public by a member of this forum five years ago over comments I made on a sheep thread. This is not new, our feelings just get hurt easier.
that's not right sorry to hear this