Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-04-2007, 12:33 AM
ryker1

Default Sharptails

How far east of calgary do you have to go to find sharptails
Old 01-04-2007, 01:40 AM
sheep hunter

I've seen them west of Calgary, south of Calgary and north of Calgary and of course east of Calgary. I've even seen them in city limits. There are a very adaptable bird found right across the province.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:19 AM
ryker1

Interesting I always thought they prefered bald ***** prarie, I usually hunt pheasants from calgary to brooks and have never seen one, must not be looking in the right spots.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:32 AM
sheep hunter

You do find them on the prairie but they are also found north of Peace River and in the foothills west of Calgary.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:36 AM
7 REM MAG

i've seen them north of fort assiniboine
Old 01-04-2007, 10:32 AM
RyanGSP

Ryker my dogs and myself have found them everywhere from calgary to brooks to hays to med hat. They are rarly in the same areas as pheasants ( the sharps like it much dryer) Get into more sandy soil as well.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:41 AM
aka bushmaster

Sharpies seem to be making a nice comeback in this area.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:29 AM
jrs

I saw lots out by Hinton this summer. As a prairie boy i recognized them but never realized they occured that far north. On a further note, i saw sharptails in the Rivervalley not too far from Lethbridge this fall, i had never seen any there before. Really neat birds. Tons on the Milk River Ridge, literally hundreds of them.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Remi

jrs,

I've only hunted sharpies a couple times. Both times was in the EID in WMU 152, on the sandy hills above the Red Deer River, although they are found all over like others have mentioned. It was a lot of walking for some pretty good shooting. I didn't manage to get any so I don't know how they taste but I've herd mixed revues. Happy hunting.

Remi
Old 01-04-2007, 01:31 PM
BigMacQ

They were all over the place when I was chasing deer in 150 this fall. You couldn't walk more then 200 feet without flushing up another group of them...too bad the season was closed. :rolleyes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:52 PM
varmitr

i seen a pile of them in 526 just north of the mighty peace this year, no shortage of any birds there. just north of were SheepHunter was.
i harvested two sharpys, 2 ruffies and 1 spruce hen. even thou all were prepared the same, i found that the spruce hen had the best taste.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Re: Sharptails

Quote:
harvested two sharpys, 2 ruffies and 1 spruce hen. even thou all were prepared the same, i found that the spruce hen had the best taste.
that is the first time I have heard that.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Sparx

I've shot many of them up around Fort McMurray. They are pretty much everywhere around Alberta in the right places. It don't have to be bald prairies whatsoever. I ran into 3 flocks of 6-8 sharptails last year and a couple this year in overgrown willow covered cutblocks. No prairies for 250 kms at least from here! LOL Last year was so good I ended up taking 12 home throughout the year and filling my daily limit on two occasions in two days back to back! They are on a big comback up here as well, the Ruffed grouse were everywhere up here this year, shooting well over 30 grouse and limiting out at will day after day and didn't bother shooting so many more. 10 of those I shot with a bow since it was getting too easy with the 10/22! LOL