Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 PM
CBR hunter

Default Pics from end of season duck hunt

Ok so after the Christmas crazy, I finally uploaded our pics from a wicked hunt on dec16th. We brought out a buddy and we all had a blast. I must say now that I've got the hang of the little 20ga I'm hanging in there with the boys!

The shooting was amazing so I didn't get too many action shots of us or the dogs working, but the experience will probably stay with us all forever.

I was amazed also by the sportsmanship that a few other hunters showed, as we all shared the river and worked together. That made it all the better.

We were mainly jump shooting the ducks, but also both parties were pushing the ducks up and down river for eachother.

Dozer got his first retrieve in and did very well for a little guy. Pocket was amazing and made leaps and bounds with that many birds to get. I am now confident that with a little winter training I can have her out trialing and testing in the spring.

We also snuck up on some geese hanging out on the river for an afternoon swim with the help of some other hunters on the other side of the river. I hung back with Pocket and let the big guns shoot. All I can say is holy crap geese are huge!! One big honker fell only 10ft from me and almost smushed me! It was longer than Pocket, she still picked it up but damn I felt so bad for her that I took it and hauled it over my shoulder to the boys (so I guess I got my first goose retrieve too....:rollin ). The other goose was only crippled as when we went to where it fell there was only a crash pad and some blood. So we fanned out and started looking for it. After a few minutes up pops this big goose with it's wing all gibbled, and it starts running away! Before the guys could shoulder their guns Pocket took off after it, practically jumped on it's back, barrel rolled it, gave the neck a little shake and then brings it back to us alive! We couldn't believe it! It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. She was so pumped, I think she thought she won the lottery. I called the breeder to tell her about it, and she said if Pocket did anything less she wouldn't be a good Chesapeake, so good for her, but we are still awed by it.

We ended up going all day with a break for lunch, and came home with 2 geese and 13 ducks. A mallard drake and a pile of goldeneyes. Needless to say the holiday goose roast, and some duck suppers have us full!

Hope everyone's holidays were great and I have a countdown going until the spring snow goose hunt. Until then rabbits and yotes will have to do. Enjoy!

Old 01-04-2007, 02:34 PM
lethalconnection

Sounds like you guys had an awesome last day out there and by the pics it goes to prove you had an awesome day. Congrats to you guys.

Just curious what do you do with all the birds you kill. I know you obviously eat them but after gutting and plucking them do you just freeze them or do get goose jerky made and such.Just wondering cause i want to get back into duck/goose hunting and just wondering what different types of way you can prepare them for eating.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:51 PM
bigbore

nice looking pictures, congrats on another good hunt
Old 01-04-2007, 02:55 PM
CBR hunter

Default Re: meat

Lethal, we have been experimenting with different ways of cooking them, haven't made jerky yet...but that sounds like a wicked idea. I'll have to find out how to do it and let you know how it turns out. Anything that we don't eat right away we freeze. There is a wild meat side in our freezer!

So far our faves are bbq mallard, and goose. Going to try deep fried goose here soon...yyyuuuummmm!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:45 PM
bagwan

Gal, you're doing great and TJ better watch it. Your story telling is excellent. That Chessies only going to get better. We have a pressure canner that does 7 quarts or about eight pints at a sitting. About 90 minutes at 12 pounds and only salt and pepper added. Big honkers work best as specks are better roasted. We also used to can salmon with this canner on the Island. Also we can moose, elk and even chicken for longer camping trips when freezer space is critical. At your age and as you can afford to hunt more it would be a long term investment. I've also used ground honkers in sausage so you're only limited by your imagination. Again congrats and keep the stories coming.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:59 PM
RyanGSP

Try the goose inside of a Turkey. We cut ours into strips but man is it awsome.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:15 AM
jrs

Wow, looks like a good shoot. Nice pics and congrats.