Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 06:19 PM

Default Norden VW in Edmonton Sucks.

I will preface this by saying that I have tried repeatedly to speak to the General Manager about the following issue in the past few weeks. I called the dealership on 6 different occasions, and allowed several days to pass between calls to allow an opportunity for my calls to be returned. AT NO TIME, has anyone from Norden VW reached out to me to resolve this matter. On my initial three phone calls, instead of being put through to the GM as I asked, I was directed to speak to Zach in the Service Department (who obviously had nothing to do with the situation), to Ella in financing (and credit where it is due, she was absolutely sympathetic and professional in our conversation but also had nothing to do with the situation), and to the Salesperson who sold me my vehicle, Andrew Hamilton, who denied any knowledge and did his utmost to pass the buck and did absolutely nothing to help.

On my 6th and last call to Norden, I will admit I finally lost my composure and was very frank and regrettably angry with the young lady at reception I spoke with. I apologized to her during our conversation for being angry, but I was terribly frustrated at this point.

The following is a brief synopsis of the situation. In September of 2016, I purchased a Tiguan from this dealership. It was represented on their website as new, and my sales and finance contract also clearly describe it as being new. When delivered, it showed 128 km on the odometer, even though the sales and finance contract both stated 15 km. When I asked about this, it was accounted for as having been moved between the dealership and a storage lot. I didn't sweat it, it seemed minor.

My wife and I have been very happy with this vehicle, but a couple of small issues presented themselves in recent months: The block heater failed and the ignition switch was acting up. I took this to my local dealership in Grande Prairie to be repaired, and when the service manager there put the paperwork through for warranty (which should be in effect until September of this year), he informed me that the warranty was expired according to VW Canada and that I should contact Norden to get this corrected (I showed him my sales contract with purchase date). On my first call to Norden to try and find out what the issue was, I was told my vehicle had been registered with VW Canada as a DEMO and put 'in-service' as of November 2015, and as such was no longer under warranty.

So, a Demo vehicle was sold to me represented as new, and I paid a new vehicle price. The salt in the wound? I got shorted about ten months worth of warranty.

I finally ended up contacting VW Canada, Customer Care about this issue, and sent them copies of my sales contract to corroborate. I spoke to them on 3 different occasions, the last time a few days ago, and they advised me that the GM of Sales, Dylan Freihle, would be contacting me to 'resolve' this issue by the end of this week, or today. I indicated that I had little faith in that happening, but elected to wait till the end of the week to hear from him. And, the dealership management now has a perfect record of ignoring not only myself, but VW Canada, because yet again nobody has contacted me at any point from the dealership. I can only assume that it is because they simply don't care to even speak to a customer who isn't happy about being cheated.

The repairs on my Tiguan have been completed at a substantial cost, and paid for by myself, on a 'new' car that is under warranty only according to my fraudulent sales contract. I have now sent a communication to VW Canada to let them know the status of this. I have also retained the services of a lawyer today, because of the principle of the matter, and because I can afford to. I can only suggest that if you are considering buying from Norden, don't.

**The above is a slightly edited cut and paste of my Google review I left for the scumbags at Norden. Hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I did warn them that if they weren't going to even talk to me, that I would go the social media route. Feel free to repost this anywhere you want to. TC**

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-03-2020, 06:31 PM

While Germans build a lot of thing very well, cars ain’t one of em. My uncle made a lucrative career out of being one of the very few private mechanics who could fix VWs (and all the others). Heard plenty of stories similar to this one, cars that don’t work, stealerships that don’t care.

Thanks for the heads up TC
Old 07-03-2020, 07:14 PM

The car itself is fine actually, been pretty much problem free other than the block heater and a switch. But good Lord, that dealership sucks.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-03-2020, 07:39 PM

Nothing but great things to say about my jetta and the service from south gate vw.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:08 PM

Wife and I have purchased twice from this dealership and can honestly say that we've never had any issues with the service or the staff. We first purchased a 16 Tiguan and never had an issue, and upgraded to a 20 Atlas with the growing family. The service dept has always been great, Elle like you mentioned is fantastic. I've never been a fan of the interaction with sales people but I understand they are doing their job. Can't say I've ever had any direct contact with the Manager however. We had a loaner Tiguan while our vehicle was in for some work, and the wife unfortunately hit a Deer while in the loaner, and they were actually very accommodating in that instance as well, no grief, no charges to us. I sympathize with your situation 100%, and that is some shady stuff going on there. Just thought that I would share our positive experiences from the same dealership.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:08 PM
Banned

I know a parts guy at noreen, hes a pos. When I was 18 I went into that dealership to look at a GLI and no one would give me the time of day.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:15 PM

I'm sure that most things they do are above board LaCa, but a dealership that isn't above fraud, for any reason, ever.....isn't an honest dealership in my eyes. It would be virtually impossible for them to accidentally do this, inventory is all computerized, they knew exactly what they were doing. All they had to do was talk to me and fix it, and I would have never said a word about it.

Glad you had good experience with them.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:27 PM

A buddy of mine has a doozy of a story about Norden. New vehicle blown motor in under 2000km and no resolution after 6 months is the short version. He finally solved it by painting his problems with the dealership on a 4'x8' sheet of plywood and propped it against his truck parked on the service road in front of Norden. 20 minutes later problem solved.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:39 PM
Banned

We had a '96 Jetta that was a great car...but dealing with Norden (back when they were on 97st) was horrendous. Got to the point that even though it was still under warranty I'd take it to a reputable corner shop...it meant paying but at least repair were done right. The straw that broke the camels back, and the last time I took it to Norden it was to get a exterior door release replaced that had 'frozen'. They told me they had to replace the door release mechanism inside the door. Next day I was driving to work and the window on that door just went 'bang' and dropped to the bottom of the door. Figured they hadn't done due diligence and took it back...'nope' they claimed...just coincidence and charged me a labor charge.
Never went back.
I do know two people who've dealt with SouthGate VW and are very happy. Also know one person who bought from Norden and had his warranty work all transferred to SouthGate.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:49 PM

Yes, for all their good reviews, they still have a tremendous amount of really bad ones. And lots of people who get a new car and don't have issues just think it's because of the wonderful dealership and give them 5 stars based of that new car smell. But they don't build em, they just sell sell sell. If at least there was good dealership support if problems do come up, that's one thing. And outright misrepresentation and fraud is another.

I understand why they don't want to talk to me. What could they possibly say besides 'sorry we screwed you and got caught'?

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 07-03-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:53 PM

Get a hold of AMVIC. Sounds like a pretty solid case...
Old 07-03-2020, 09:56 PM

So bad
Old 07-03-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
Get a hold of AMVIC. Sounds like a pretty solid case...
Yes, I will be filing a complaint, but AMVIC is really pretty useless. Self policing when they are all corrupt is kind of hopeless.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:04 PM

Sounds like a crap deal, hope it goes better moving forward. I would be worried about owning a VW out of warranty in the coming years however.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Sounds like a crap deal, hope it goes better moving forward. I would be worried about owning a VW out of warranty in the coming years however.
We were very brand loyal to Toyota for many years, I have had a Corolla (first car), a Venza, a Camry, a Tacoma, one Echo and 3 Yaris. Four of those are still being driven by my kids. Every one of those was or still is an excellent value and vehicle. But, my wife wasn't keen on the RAV4 styling, and how big it got, and wanted something smaller (she is a bit on the tiny side, she likes to drive a vehicle where she can see over the steering wheel).....so test drove the Tiguan and she liked it. And it has been good for the most part. But yeah, I've got some concerns as well for future issues.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:54 AM

Believe me, I was pushing for a 4Runner over the Atlas as well. But I think the old saying goes "Happy wife, happy life" or something like that. Might pay for that one in the future, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:09 AM

I’d never buy a VW. The Dodge from Europe in my opinion. Few close buddies owned VW’s, in the shop constantly and were not cheap to repair.

There was a documentary series on Netflix called “dirty money” I believe. Certain some of the content in that series is “pushed” however the one on VW certainly has some merit behind it. Couple other episodes that make you shake your head. Series is a decent watch if anyone has the time.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
While Germans build a lot of thing very well, cars ain’t one of em. My uncle made a lucrative career out of being one of the very few private mechanics who could fix VWs (and all the others). Heard plenty of stories similar to this one, cars that don’t work, stealerships that don’t care.

Thanks for the heads up TC
What...they build beauty cars....cars from all manufacturer have issues....it's the dealerships that need to step up.....oh they get repeat customers and word of mouth brings in new customers too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-04-2020, 08:21 AM

The dealership was in the wrong. It must be declared a demo at time of sale and the in service date must be shown on bill of sale. I would contact AMVIC. The dealership should have covered you're cost for good faith or given you a top upon an extended service contract. Just my opinion as I've been in the automotive business for the past 32 years.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
A buddy of mine has a doozy of a story about Norden. New vehicle blown motor in under 2000km and no resolution after 6 months is the short version. He finally solved it by painting his problems with the dealership on a 4'x8' sheet of plywood and propped it against his truck parked on the service road in front of Norden. 20 minutes later problem solved.
I was digging around and found a picture of the sign he made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Billy.jpg (10.4 KB, 248 views)
Old 07-04-2020, 08:38 AM

Sorry for your troubles. That sounds alot like my experience with Kentwood Ford in Edmonton. Misrepresented the vehicle, refused to have anything to do with it after the sale. I hope you get it all sorted out and are comped for your efforts.

Since you're in GP, in the unlikely event that you ever want buy a Ford there...don't. Hansen Ford will lie to your face and tell you that they work with your extended warranty, then after the work is done claim they don't and demand payment. Windsor Ford will attempt to charge 1.5 - 2 times book time for work, resulting in the warranty company calling you and letting you know you'll be on the hook for the difference. It will take 40+ minutes of polite discussion with Windsor's service manager trying to work something out while being told "tough ****" and then 15 minutes of walking the showroom informing other customers what a shady dealership Windsor is before the general manager gets involved and "waives the extra cost as a one time courtesy."
Old 07-04-2020, 09:52 AM

Funny you mention the Ford dealership here. I have an E250 for work. Got broken into, and Windsor put in New lock cylinder for me. Had my van in the shop for 12 minutes, got billed for $350. Yapping at the service manager was a waste of time. Never went back.

Two years later, had issue with transmission, went to Hansen and found out I brought it in 2 days before warranty expired! I had bought used and didn't know in service date, never checked. Hansen were great though, replaced tranny, didn't cost me a cent.

Very few dealerships here I would buy from (probably none, maybe Toyota because I am friends with the owner).

Oh yeah, and not to change the topic....

Norden VW in Edmonton sucks.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:08 AM

Most guys on here already know what I think of German cars and their ridiculous Maintenance and repair costs. I would never own one again, and for sure not one that no longer had warranty.

Two suggestions,. post your review on Dealer rater and don't let go of this without payment for actual damages, Demo pricing reduction and punitive awards. Just extending the warranty and paying for the repairs is not enough compensation for blatantly stealing from you. I would also name VW Canada as they have let Norden get away with these practices for decades. Back in the mid 80s a guy I worked with went through something almost exactly the same, difference was back then the Cops showed up and threatened to charge them Criminally with fraud. Got a full refund on the car.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:23 AM

Funny you should say that Dean....lol.

I just got a call from Norden. A bit rocky at first to say the least, but by they end, they agreed to pay for repairs, and extend my factory VW warranty from today, for a full year. And I told him that really doesn't give me anything that I hadn't already paid for when I bought my vehicle, and certainly isn't compensation for the serious aggravation, and the price differential on the demo/new fraud.

I will talk to my legal beagle, and see if it's worth the hassle to pursue it, but a full refund sounds good.

Old 07-04-2020, 11:51 AM

Default Norden

Just sold my VW. Glad to see it gone. In the shop more than any vehicle I’ve ever owned, and very expensive to repair! A year after I bought it from Southside VW, the sun roof quit working properly. Wouldn’t slide back all the way. I had only used it a few times. Took it in and they said the frame was bent and that it had to replaced. $3200 was the quote I think. They didn’t want to cover it with warranty. The car didn’t have so much as a scratch on it. I told them I thought the rails just needed to be cleaned, but the guy said it wasn’t riding straight on them. Nothing had ever happened to cause the rail to by damaged. I just left it the way it was. No more German vehicles for me ever again.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Funny you should say that Dean....lol.

I just got a call from Norden. A bit rocky at first to say the least, but by they end, they agreed to pay for repairs, and extend my factory VW warranty from today, for a full year. And I told him that really doesn't give me anything that I hadn't already paid for when I bought my vehicle, and certainly isn't compensation for the serious aggravation, and the price differential on the demo/new fraud.

I will talk to my legal beagle, and see if it's worth the hassle to pursue it, but a full refund sounds good.
Glad you made some progress. In Paul's case he figured it out within a month of buying the car. After this many years, if they offered 5 or 10 thou off for demo and aggravation I would probably drop it. If they won't step up and they make you go to court I would be looking for a lot more money, plus all legal costs. You can't go small claims if you want punitive damages.

Being retired I have lots of free time, enjoy a good battle and cost isn't really that big a deal so I will go to lengths some think unreasonable to address someone trying to screw me over. Others may not find this as entertaining as I do so will choose another path. Best of luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:05 PM

Thanks Dean, I will keep you posted as it unfolds. The whole thing chokes me, and I'm also not one to just let things ride.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Just sold my VW. Glad to see it gone. In the shop more than any vehicle I’ve ever owned, and very expensive to repair! A year after I bought it from Southside VW, the sun roof quit working properly. Wouldn’t slide back all the way. I had only used it a few times. Took it in and they said the frame was bent and that it had to replaced. $3200 was the quote I think. They didn’t want to cover it with warranty. The car didn’t have so much as a scratch on it. I told them I thought the rails just needed to be cleaned, but the guy said it wasn’t riding straight on them. Nothing had ever happened to cause the rail to by damaged. I just left it the way it was. No more German vehicles for me ever again.
This is exactly what is wrong with most German cars. The dealers push back on warranty coverage and most clients don't pursue it hard enough. There is not a chance in hell I would accept them not covering that on a 1 year old car that had never been in an accident. That is precisely what Bumper to Bumper means. Unfortunately there are tens of thousands of customers treated just like you were.

If you guys want a completely different ownership experience, buy a Lexus. I cannot think of many makes of vehicle that I have not owned at one time or another, including a fair number of high end brands and Lexus is so far above everyone else in service and attitude it is hard to believe till you experience it. It is also not Dealer specific, I have had the same exemplary service at two U.S. dealers as well as 4 here in Canada. Heck, I liked it so much I used to take the 4Runner in there rather than the Toyota dealer. Lexus is the only place I have never had to argue over warranty coverage or dispute a bill for service. The cost of service is also surprisingly reasonable, I just had four tire sensors replaced for about half what Kal Tire quoted me for the same job, and they weren't using OEM sensors.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:38 PM

I think Lexus sounds pretty good about now Dean. I always loved my Toyotas, it seems a natural progression at thos point. I think I will heed that advice on my next car. Too bad my wife hates the styling of them.....and really, I don't much like the styling either for that matter.....

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 07-04-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
What...they build beauty cars....cars from all manufacturer have issues....it's the dealerships that need to step up.....oh they get repeat customers and word of mouth brings in new customers too.
On a spec sheet or track, maybe.

In real life, in Canadian weather as a daily driver, absolutely not. All of them are miserable money pits. And that’s not just what I saw in the shop. One of my good friends is a business owner from South Africa. Came over and bought 4 bmws for himself and his family because they are “the best” hahaha. Then 4 Audi’s. Eventually got tired of blowing tens of thousands on maintenance, switched to Lexus. Guess what? Only routine maintenance and oil changes.