Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 10:52 AM

Default Hornady doesnt have Load Data for me... help!

I purchased a box of ELD Match, 338 cal, 285 gr. bullets to load for my 338 win mag.
I called Hornady for load data because my book doesnt show data for that projectile. I was told they do not have data for the win mag and I may as well sell my bullets to a 338 lapua owner.
I was going to reload with IMR 4320 powder...(thats all i could find in stock at the time)

I wouldn't feel comfortable loading without Hornady's approval but at the same time, I am not understanding what the real issue is. I have data for 275 grain, not 285...I assume there would be too much pressure. You'd think lightening the load would be fine...the question is...how much??

I guess this is more of a rant than anything...Id appreciate a few thoughts from you experienced loaders if you could spare a moment.

Thanks for reading!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:12 AM

Default perhaps it wont stabilize the bullet

Dont know about the 338 win but many years ago I was given 69 grain 224 bullets
and called Nosler for load data for my 22-250. They could not give me information since the 69 grain was made for a 7 twist barrel to stabilize the bullet something the 12 twist 22-250 could not do.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:39 AM

Could you not use load data for a different 285gr projectile such as the Amazon or SST and start a bit lower than min?
Old 09-21-2017, 12:06 PM

Suggest you use a slower powder like 4350, Ramshot Hunter or similar.
That bullet has a long bearing surface that requires a little xtra attention pressure-wise.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:06 PM

Interesting combination,, 4320 has about the same burn rate as Varget. Not a powder associated for magnums with heavy projectiles. What is your barrel length and twist rate?
Old 09-21-2017, 12:10 PM

If you do find a successful load it would be interesting to hear what velocities you end up with.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbgdr View Post
Interesting combination,, 4320 has about the same burn rate as Varget. Not a powder associated for magnums with heavy projectiles. What is your barrel length and twist rate?
X2.
I would think 4320 as being a bit to fast
Old 09-21-2017, 12:23 PM

10 gr can make a difference depending on how it is distributed in the bullet, it will get longer somewhere. With Hornady being an ammunition manufacturer, they likely looked at it as being a Lapua class design bullet, and it may be that it is a disadvantage to a Win mag application. Considering the Win mag was set up for 250gr, adding 35gr will likely not be anything really practical to the bulk of the people who use that cartridge. Lost speed, probable magazine or seating depth/throating issues are likely their thought lines on a Winmag with that bullet.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM

Default online calculator

You can use this site as a starting point and develop a load from there. I have a simlar program on my PC but it is a bit old and does not have your bullet.
Hope it helps.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plink View Post
I purchased a box of ELD Match, 338 cal, 285 gr. bullets to load for my 338 win mag.
I called Hornady for load data because my book doesnt show data for that projectile. I was told they do not have data for the win mag and I may as well sell my bullets to a 338 lapua owner.
I was going to reload with IMR 4320 powder...(thats all i could find in stock at the time)

I wouldn't feel comfortable loading without Hornady's approval but at the same time, I am not understanding what the real issue is. I have data for 275 grain, not 285...I assume there would be too much pressure. You'd think lightening the load would be fine...the question is...how much??

I guess this is more of a rant than anything...Id appreciate a few thoughts from you experienced loaders if you could spare a moment.

Thanks for reading!
Hodgdon Website has loads for 275 and 300 grain bullets for the 338 Win Mag. 4350 is the slowest powder listed dso 4320 is not going to work. Hybid 100V, 4350 or 7828 SSC are far better choices with bullets that heavy. You should be able to use the 300 grain data for min load and work up.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle