Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-29-2014, 02:37 PM

Default 7x57 info

I have recently picked up a very nice little rifle in a cartridge that I haven't had the opportunity to play with before.

Anyone have experience with the 7x57? I have heard that the factory ammo can be somewhat anemic. Any favored bullet weight that it seems to favor? I am thinking of trying 140 TSX and 120 TTSX. Any powder that it seems to favor? I was hoping that it would like something like Varget but am unsure of where prefers a powder to fall into the burn rates.

Any help would be appreciated. I won't get to shoot it for a bit. the trigger has close to 1/4" of creep and is very jerky so it is awaiting a trigger at the moment.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:58 PM

The reason for the so called enemic loadings is the number of low pressure actions the cartridge has been chambered in.
You don't mention what rifle you have this wonderful cartridge chambered in, as Mauser 93's, 95's, and 96's are the low pressure actions. Mauser 98's and anything modern will give you a bit more ability to up the pressures.

IMO, monolithic bullets are not a have to in this cartridge, cup/core bullets from 130-175gr will give good service for most everything most hunters peruse in Alberta.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-29-2014, 03:23 PM

From what I have been told, modern rifles loaded with handloads perform almost identical to the 7mm-08 Remington. 130-140 gr bullets over a medium burning powder like varget should be your best bang for the buck. As long as your rifle can handle the modern loads.
Good luck
Old 06-29-2014, 03:34 PM

Actually I've found 4350 to give more consistent results in the 2, 7x57's I've loaded for.
I think it might be because it fills the 57mm case fuller, thus resulting in a more consistent powder column.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-29-2014, 04:28 PM

53 grains of IMR 4350 along with a 139 Hornady Interlock are a dynamite combo in my FLS Ruger...
Old 06-29-2014, 04:41 PM

BRNO 600 ZKK is what I have. It is a beautiful little rifle. Can't wait to shoot it.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 PM

The two I have owned loved 140 gr bullets and H4350 at around 2850 fps.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-29-2014, 04:58 PM

Keep in mind that chambers and throats can be all over the map with the 7x57.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-29-2014, 05:13 PM

I just bought a cooper in 275 Rigby but I haven't loaded for it yet. Just fired a box of factory to 'fireform' the brass, now Ill neck size and load. Will watch this thread carefully....
Old 06-29-2014, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the help so far.

Keep them coming please.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:09 AM

Default Powder

Win 760 is all you need for the lighter bullets up to 140gr and IMR 4350 or RE#22 for the 160's.........BRNO21............Harold
Old 06-30-2014, 06:36 AM

7.08 was always the perfect answer for a question that was never asked considering that the 7 x 57 was here all along. . 7 x 57 will do all and more on a cartridge that has been around since before the Spanish American war.

My 7 x 57's have always been loaded with Hornady 139's and 154's with IMR 4350 and a Win Wlr. Most seen to like the 154's although there have been a cpl that prefer 139's. I like Hornady's, so thats what I normally use. 145 Speers have shot well out of a cpl of them, though. As Chuck says, though, they can be all over the map..., but I always start with a 154 . It is my favorite 7mm bullet...so I start there.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:43 AM

It's sort of like the 308- drop a bnch of powder in the right proportion and stuff a particular favourite bullet on top and it''l work- even if it's not the "perfect combination"
Owned quite a few and never had one that wouldn't shoot well with a variety of bullets or powder.
Cat
Old 06-30-2014, 08:19 AM

Winchester model 70 Feather weight 7x57. 46 grains IMR 4350, Winchester brass and large rifle primers, 160 grain Nosler Partition. This load shoots to .80" or better, and doesn't beat up the shooter.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Winchester model 70 Feather weight 7x57. 46 grains IMR 4350, Winchester brass and large rifle primers, 160 grain Nosler Partition. This load shoots to .80" or better, and doesn't beat up the shooter.
apparently with outstanding wood as well....
Old 06-30-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Alright already, give it rest!!
Cat
Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Well you shouldn't have sold it then.......
Old 06-30-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Well you shouldn't have sold it then.......
As nice as it is it's not as pretty as the Ruger or as Classy and nice as the big 10 Westley Richards that I traded off.
Besides, after hunting and shooting my Leeper built Ruger in .303, all others are simply " guns"
Cat
Old 06-30-2014, 11:48 AM

I shoot mostly 145 gr speers. My rem 700 classic has been a lucky rifle.
I shot a 39 inch bighorn and a 168 whitetail buck off the back of a horse so this gun is a keeper.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
7.08 was always the perfect answer for a question that was never asked considering that the 7 x 57 was here all along. . 7 x 57 will do all and more on a cartridge that has been around since before the Spanish American war.

My 7 x 57's have always been loaded with Hornady 139's and 154's with IMR 4350 and a Win Wlr. Most seen to like the 154's although there have been a cpl that prefer 139's. I like Hornady's, so thats what I normally use. 145 Speers have shot well out of a cpl of them, though. As Chuck says, though, they can be all over the map..., but I always start with a 154 . It is my favorite 7mm bullet...so I start there.
Agree, and I also use horandy 139 and 154 with 4350

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Alright you two, leave my nice wood out of the conversation . It's making me nervous.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 AM

The BRNO can handle modern pressures, you can get velocities in between the 7mm-08 and the 280 Rem.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:05 PM

So the preliminary results are less than pleasing to say the least.

I ordered a Timney for it. It doesn't fit. So I polished and ground the existing trigger's sear as best I can. It still has some creep but it is significantly better than it was.

I have taken her out to the range twice now. The first time out I got a best group of about 7 inches with Hornady Superformance 139 grainers. I got the ingenious idea that I would just load those 20 brass my way and make something work. Nope. The case heads expanded too much and I can't even get them in the shell holder.

I bought a box of 140 Corelokts and thought I'd give those a try instead. I fired a few and mic'd them. Everything stayed the same with those measurements as the factory ammo, so I was at least happy with that. I was a little concerned that there was a headspace issue after those Hornady rounds swelled so bad. All seems well on that front.

The bad news there is that I was only able to get her down to about 4 inches. I had a buddy that was with me shoot it and he said he really concentrated on holding the gun super tight and was able to get one decent group. I fired off 5 shots after him and it didn't group all that well for me. Maybe 2 1/2 inches.

Next up will be a scope change and some 120 TTSX handloads, pushed with IMR 4064, that I whipped up with the Remington brass. I just got my hands on some 139 interbonds last night so I will try those if the 120's don't work.

I am a little frustrated right now. Here's to hoping.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
So the preliminary results are less than pleasing to say the least.

I ordered a Timney for it. It doesn't fit. So I polished and ground the existing trigger's sear as best I can. It still has some creep but it is significantly better than it was.

I have taken her out to the range twice now. The first time out I got a best group of about 7 inches with Hornady Superformance 139 grainers. I got the ingenious idea that I would just load those 20 brass my way and make something work. Nope. The case heads expanded too much and I can't even get them in the shell holder.

I bought a box of 140 Corelokts and thought I'd give those a try instead. I fired a few and mic'd them. Everything stayed the same with those measurements as the factory ammo, so I was at least happy with that. I was a little concerned that there was a headspace issue after those Hornady rounds swelled so bad. All seems well on that front.

The bad news there is that I was only able to get her down to about 4 inches. I had a buddy that was with me shoot it and he said he really concentrated on holding the gun super tight and was able to get one decent group. I fired off 5 shots after him and it didn't group all that well for me. Maybe 2 1/2 inches.

Next up will be a scope change and some 120 TTSX handloads, pushed with IMR 4064, that I whipped up with the Remington brass. I just got my hands on some 139 interbonds last night so I will try those if the 120's don't work.

I am a little frustrated right now. Here's to hoping.
With groups that large my guess is there is something else wrong. Give the barrel a couple of good soaks with wipe out and make sure it isn't heavily coppered or carboned up. If scope and mounts are tight, and action screws are tight too, you may want to try bedding the rifle and ensuring the barrel is free floated, then try it for group again.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:03 AM

Is it throwing them all over or stringing or .... What is the rifle? Not a Featherweight or a Mtn rifle is it?

Does it have any pressure pts on the bbl? crown ? Something amiss. I'm guessing you checked rings, bases, etc.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 AM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I have recently picked up a very nice little rifle in a cartridge that I haven't had the opportunity to play with before.

Anyone have experience with the 7x57? I have heard that the factory ammo can be somewhat anemic. Any favored bullet weight that it seems to favor? I am thinking of trying 140 TSX and 120 TTSX. Any powder that it seems to favor? I was hoping that it would like something like Varget but am unsure of where prefers a powder to fall into the burn rates.

Any help would be appreciated. I won't get to shoot it for a bit. the trigger has close to 1/4" of creep and is very jerky so it is awaiting a trigger at the moment.
Guessing used rifle? Predecessor's experience with it? Proven scope? Any dark rings near the muzzle when viewing through the bore at a clear white wall or paper. If you run your hand along the length of the barrel do you feel any sudden changes in diameter that shouldn't be there?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:57 PM

140/160 Partitions, or Hornady SST...never had a problem dumping bucks to Cow elk/moose.....
Old 07-25-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
With groups that large my guess is there is something else wrong. Give the barrel a couple of good soaks with wipe out and make sure it isn't heavily coppered or carboned up. If scope and mounts are tight, and action screws are tight too, you may want to try bedding the rifle and ensuring the barrel is free floated, then try it for group again.
Definitely not copper. I did wipeout as soon as I got it home. Rifle is bedded. I'll check the free float. I forgot to check that. Action screws are good.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Is it throwing them all over or stringing or .... What is the rifle? Not a Featherweight or a Mtn rifle is it?

Does it have any pressure pts on the bbl? crown ? Something amiss. I'm guessing you checked rings, bases, etc.
Brno 600 ZKK
Going to switch the scope so I'll check the mounts then shoot it again.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
Guessing used rifle? Predecessor's experience with it? Proven scope? Any dark rings near the muzzle when viewing through the bore at a clear white wall or paper. If you run your hand along the length of the barrel do you feel any sudden changes in diameter that shouldn't be there?
Last owner said no issues with it being a shooter. Scope is good. Check for rings later tonight. Is that carbon I'd be looking for? Didn't notice any diameter changes