Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2014, 10:28 PM

Default Location on adds

New to forum, just wondering why a lot of people do not put their location when advertising items. A little frustrating when you get interested in an item and later find out it is hundreds of miles away.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 PM

Bighorn, They are supposed to have the locations on the add. If you see one with out a location please report it and we will delete the add. The OP can repost according to the rules of the Buy/sell forum. We cant read all posts on here and miss some.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn88 View Post
New to forum, just wondering why a lot of people do not put their location when advertising items. A little frustrating when you get interested in an item and later find out it is hundreds of miles away.
Because they can't be bothered, or they don't know any better.

Mac
Old 04-30-2014, 10:37 PM

Thanks, hope they take this as a reminder. Good to see the fast response.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks, hope they take this as a reminder. Good to see the fast response.
Unfortunately, that's ^ probably not going to happen, as most of them will never read this thread.

The ultimate solution is for the AO to adopt a 'form' based Buy & Sell, where everyone is forced to fill out a completed form. However, the last I heard from the Mods, that's not likely to happen in this century.

Govern yourself accordingly

Mac
Old 05-01-2014, 12:53 AM

You can also put your location in so that it comes up in the top right corner of every post you make. Just sayin
Old 05-01-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
You can also put your location in so that it comes up in the top right corner of every post you make. Just sayin
that's too easy, and requires some sense of the common variety.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 05-01-2014, 03:46 AM

Or, perhaps, if one is interested in the item the seller is offering, one could send them a PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Or, perhaps, if one is interested in the item the seller is offering, one could send them a PM.
That is great if you have nothing but time on your hands. Like the idea of location showing up on top right hand corner. Should be part of registration.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
That is great if you have nothing but time on your hands. Like the idea of location showing up on top right hand corner. Should be part of registration.
So, where's yours?

Grizz
Old 05-01-2014, 08:51 AM

I agree.
I won't inquire where an item is.
If a member here cant show courtesy of following the buy and sell rules, I really don't want to pm just to ask that question.
Be nice to your fellow members if you want their money.

If someone is trying to sell something, that little bit of information goes a long way to making a good first impression.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
So, where's yours?

Grizz
Not allowed to post yet
Old 05-01-2014, 09:29 AM

So a guy forgets to put in his location. Big deal. It takes approximately 7 seconds to send a pm to inquire.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLantz View Post
So a guy forgets to put in his location. Big deal. It takes approximately 7 seconds to send a pm to inquire.
And it's against forum rules
Bah! Who needs em eh?

Honestly, it takes about 2 seconds to put the info in an advert.
Potentially saving a lot of time.....
Not everyone gets paid to sit at a desk and surf the net.
A guy from Lethbridge could easily see I'm in Sherwood park and just not bother sending a pm to ask where I'm at.
See how this works? Pretty simple. For simple minds.

I will from this point forward follow the advice given by the mod lilsundance.

If your ad disappears. Pm me to discuss why I ratted someone out

We're all in this together...

In fact if someone is selling many items, they can go to their user profile and Just fill in the detail. This goes for the op as well.
What another member was trying to make a point at.
Where is Calgary Dave? He would have the time to give a step by step tutorial.

This issue comes up time and again guys.
Is it so difficult to play along?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:01 AM

Default Ratted out?

Report any post you wish.

The rules are clearly posted and all should be aware of them.

The buy and sell is an great part of this forum and an easy way to acquire or offload items with like minded people. I have met lots if great folks thru the buy and sell.

The rules are in place to make using it simpler and easier for everyone.

I don't see how reporting a post that does not meet simple guidelines that enhance the effectiveness is "ratting someone out".

Do your buy and sell posts correctly and they won't disappear.
Awfully simple.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:36 PM

If you are going to go through all the trouble of "ratting someone out", why not send the guy who forgot to put his location in a simple pm to remind him. Pretty simple, for simple minds.

I once forgot to put my location. Got a pm from pixel Shooter, fixed it, all was good, I learned from it and nobody was put out by my huuuuuuuuuge indescretion. Why try and harrass people and start cliques by being a jerk? Just give the guy a simple pm to remind him. Thats yhe best way to enforce ourselves, rather than running to a mod everytime some small issue arrises. You boys are unreal sometimes.

Last edited by FreeLantz; 05-01-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: language
Old 05-01-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
If you are going to go through all the trouble of "ratting someone out", why not send the guy who forgot to put his location in a simple pm to remind him. Pretty simple, for simple minds.

I once forgot to put my location. Got a pm from pixel Shooter, fixed it, all was good, I learned from it and nobody was put out by my huuuuuuuuuge indescretion. Why try and harrass people and start cliques by being a jerk? Just give the guy a simple pm to remind him. Thats yhe best way to enforce ourselves, rather than running to a mod everytime some small issue arrises. You boys are unreal sometimes.
Because even though I've not sold anything on the buy and sell (yet) I still have taken the time to read the rules, located at the very top of the buy and sell on each and every page.

The mods are the ones that stated those rules (on each and every page) and they've got enough to do rather than chasing everything that I come up with that's wrong in the classifieds....

I've bought a few things from members and usually locally (or somewhere that I'm headed shortly) and the location is #1 on my "want" list with any item.

If the sellers aren't listing location, then I'm gonna keep looking to part with my money by buying from someone else....

J.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Mods are busy.... We are told that they all have lives away from AO (ya right )
Just follow the buy and sell rules. There is a sticky about the proper way to get er done.
It's actually pretty simple to put your location in your profile. Less than 30 seconds and you are set for the duration of your stay on AO.

For example. North side of Edmonton. Or. Just east of red deer.
Or.....Bodo????
It just seems to me that if someone is selling an item, then it's a proper point to read the subsection rule first and then follow the posting guidelines.

I know I'm not the only one here who won't bother asking where someone is located.
Why would I want to waste time talking to stupid people?
Life's too short for that frustration.
Yes, I'm that guy who shakes his head in amazement when I see glaring omissions in an advert.
The problem with sending a simple pm to remind, is a lot of guys take that as a personal attack on them. Like they got called out for being a dummie. And they know it, they just don't want other people to be aware they know it.
So yes, guys do take it personal.
I do believe the sticky that pixel created said something about buy and sell priveleges being nurtured for people who can't simply follow along.

Anyway. I need to cook for the kids. And I need a break.
See you guys in a few days.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Mods are busy.... We are told that they all have lives away from AO (ya right )
Just follow the buy and sell rules. There is a sticky about the proper way to get er done.
It's actually pretty simple to put your location in your profile. Less than 30 seconds and you are set for the duration of your stay on AO.

For example. North side of Edmonton. Or. Just east of red deer.
Or.....Bodo????
It just seems to me that if someone is selling an item, then it's a proper point to read the subsection rule first and then follow the posting guidelines.

I know I'm not the only one here who won't bother asking where someone is located.
Why would I want to waste time talking to stupid people?
Life's too short for that frustration.
Yes, I'm that guy who shakes his head in amazement when I see glaring omissions in an advert.
The problem with sending a simple pm to remind, is a lot of guys take that as a personal attack on them. Like they got called out for being a dummie. And they know it, they just don't want other people to be aware they know it.
So yes, guys do take it personal.
I do believe the sticky that pixel created said something about buy and sell priveleges being nurtured for people who can't simply follow along.

Anyway. I need to cook for the kids. And I need a break.
See you guys in a few days.
Much Ado About Nothing
Old 05-01-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Let me guess. You are from Calgary.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-01-2014, 06:43 PM

Hundreds of miles away? Road trip! Perfect!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-01-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
And where are you from bighorn88?
There is a feature that one can fill in where it gives ones location after they post.
But, it can also be a tad misleading too, especially if they dont know where the flight path for yvr is for example.
Rob
Old 05-01-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
And where are you from bighorn88?
There is a feature that one can fill in where it gives ones location after they post.
But, it can also be a tad misleading too, especially if they dont know where the flight path for yvr is for example.
Rob
Hey I am from YEG & when I can post adds I will be putting Edmonton as the location.