Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-21-2024, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed View Post
Truck is packed. Leaving for Cold Lake tomorrow with plans of landing my first CL laker on the ice this weekend! I’ll be in a grey Tacoma with matching topper if anyone wants to say hi and make fun of me being in the wrong spot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well you are getting some fantastic weather for your trip but you do have a few things working against you; Full moon and late Feb slowdown

Hope you have some luck though and at least you'll get a sun tan with these long warm days!

Keep us updated.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:48 PM

Yea. Saw the moon this evening and thought the same thing. I didn’t get a lot of choice on timing this year. Maybe next year I can make it earlier or later into March.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:12 PM

Don't get discouraged with the season or moon. You probably won't be catching 30 fish per day but it's still a pretty fun fishery. I've had good luck with slower and smaller presentations when the lakers get sluggish in February.
Dunno if you're able or interested, but night fishing for lake trout can be very lucrative when the daytime bite is slow

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2024, 09:23 PM

Interested for a couple/few hours but not overnight.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodhead View Post
Don't get discouraged with the season or moon. You probably won't be catching 30 fish per day but it's still a pretty fun fishery. I've had good luck with slower and smaller presentations when the lakers get sluggish in February.
Dunno if you're able or interested, but night fishing for lake trout can be very lucrative when the daytime bite is slow

You are not wrong, I caught way more lake trout during the derby in the dark than the daytime.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:51 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well just getting off the lake, great day exploring.
Managed 11 total, 6 on the deadstick and 5 on the active stick in and around 130 fow.
1 that went 30 inches but felt way bigger.
Today I found using the uv lures and switching them out every ten minutes as they soaked in the sun really made a difference in the deeper water. Way more interest, chasing and bites. Just had to do better at the hook sets.
Great, warm day out on the lake!

An assortment of stuff I dropped down today.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-22-2024, 08:41 PM

Overnighted last night, nice night, sat in chair outside in the moonlight jigging sucker belly, we put more fish on the ice last night than we did today.
Did some moving around all day, picked up a few, similar offerings.
Nice day to be on the ice. A precursor, heading eastward for our yearly lake trout and walleye run in a couple weeks time.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:23 AM

Well managed a few lakers yesterday but it was a grind to get them to commit. Chase, break off and head back down to the bottom to sulk in the sand and maybe have a go at the deadsticks but again not overly aggressive like a few days ago.

Met a forum member ragweed out on the lake and he too got tossed into the grind of cat and mouse.

Our new batch of lures came in from Len Thompson so had to give them a go and even if the bite was slow the results was what was expected!

They catch!

March madness is right around the corner, can hardly wait!!!!!

Old 02-25-2024, 09:21 AM

It was fun learning more about the lake. I just wish the fish were hungrier. It was all good though. I really enjoyed the adventure and can’t wait to come back up!

Old 02-25-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well managed a few lakers yesterday but it was a grind to get them to commit. Chase, break off and head back down to the bottom to sulk in the sand and maybe have a go at the deadsticks but again not overly aggressive like a few days ago.

Met a forum member ragweed out on the lake and he too got tossed into the grind of cat and mouse.

Our new batch of lures came in from Len Thompson so had to give them a go and even if the bite was slow the results was what was expected!

They catch!

March madness is right around the corner, can hardly wait!!!!!

Looks like a nice spoon Gregg ,whats up with this new name are you letting the cat out of the bag .
Are you getting into guiding this summer ?

Last edited by -JR-; 02-25-2024 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:05 AM

58 those spoons look awesome. I just took a peak on their site and I can not see them on there. Is that a colour you can buy in the stores also?

Also really cool looking Lake Trout! Enjoy the fishing. Those are one fish I would really like to try and fish for this upcoming season.

Tight Lines.
Old 02-25-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Looks like a nice spoon Gregg ,whats up with this new name are you letting the cat out of the bag .
Are you getting into guiding this summer ?
No Sir, not a guide but for a box of pizza pops I might help an angler out

No Worries Angling is now on instagram and is just gonna be a fun place to post up pictures etc of angling adventures. Just something we are putting together.

Old 02-25-2024, 11:33 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
58 those spoons look awesome. I just took a peak on their site and I can not see them on there. Is that a colour you can buy in the stores also?

Also really cool looking Lake Trout! Enjoy the fishing. Those are one fish I would really like to try and fish for this upcoming season.

Tight Lines.
The spoons are #2's in which we ordered them through the Len Thompson custom order department. Great staff to work with as I already had an idea of the colors I wanted based on the last 5 years of success using that size and color pattern. It was a simple process and we are really happy with the product.
I have found that the ultra glow with the flame and hot green fuses really work well in low light depths as I have caught from 170 fow right up through the water columns, tapping bottom, reeling up, jigging and reeling up fast often gets them to come in from rather far distances and if they are on its incredible how well these lures work.

Just another reason to buy more tackle

Old 02-25-2024, 01:45 PM

Quote:
The spoons are #2's in which we ordered them through the Len Thompson custom order department. Great staff to work with as I already had an idea of the colors I wanted based on the last 5 years of success using that size and color pattern. It was a simple process and we are really happy with the product.
I have found that the ultra glow with the flame and hot green fuses really work well in low light depths as I have caught from 170 fow right up through the water columns, tapping bottom, reeling up, jigging and reeling up fast often gets them to come in from rather far distances and if they are on its incredible how well these lures work.

Just another reason to buy more tackle

Thank you for the information. As I write this I’m making more wireworms for lake whitefish even though I have hundreds of them made already. As if I need an excuse to order some more hooks. Haha.

Also what would you recommend for an ice spinning rod for Lakers? I have some medium walleye rods already but looking at something a little bit more stiff for pike and lakers.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:04 PM

Quote:
It was fun learning more about the lake. I just wish the fish were hungrier. It was all good though. I really enjoyed the adventure and can’t wait to come back up!

How did you make out anyways? Did you try the night thing, dead stick, etc! I enjoy the details
Old 02-25-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the information. As I write this I’m making more wireworms for lake whitefish even though I have hundreds of them made already. As if I need an excuse to order some more hooks. Haha.

Also what would you recommend for an ice spinning rod for Lakers? I have some medium walleye rods already but looking at something a little bit more stiff for pike and lakers.

Regarding the rods well first question is what are you willing to spend?
Once you got a ball park figure then go from there.
I personally like the HT 34 inch heavy rod with a 2000-3000 series reel, spooled with 20lbs braid, 20lbs floro leader.
Now if I was to go custom I would reach out to Mat Weaver at weaversbentrods and get the ball
rolling on an awesome build.
Good luck!

Old 02-25-2024, 05:03 PM

Quote:

The Jason Mitchell Mack rods are great for the price..... I've got a 40" heavy I use as my second rod for pike and lakers. Ive caught lots of 20+lb fish with it. My main rod is a custom from Weavers bent rods.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
How did you make out anyways? Did you try the night thing, dead stick, etc! I enjoy the details

I ended up with a single laker. Spent many hours trying different depths and tackle. Played with chasers all day, each day. Dead stick was dead. It just had a herring on it. I fished Thursday evening until about 8pm. Lots of chasers but no bites.

Old 02-25-2024, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Regarding the rods well first question is what are you willing to spend?
Once you got a ball park figure then go from there.
I personally like the HT 34 inch heavy rod with a 2000-3000 series reel, spooled with 20lbs braid, 20lbs floro leader.
Now if I was to go custom I would reach out to Mat Weaver at weaversbentrods and get the ball
rolling on an awesome build.
Good luck!

I think I would like to be around the 75-100 range for the rod alone. I know this is the unpopular opinion but I don’t mind the foam handles because they’re warmer in the winter time.

Old 02-25-2024, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I ended up with a single laker. Spent many hours trying different depths and tackle. Played with chasers all day, each day. Dead stick was dead. It just had a herring on it. I fished Thursday evening until about 8pm. Lots of chasers but no bites.

Lake trout fishing can be a SOB sometimes. Hopefully the next time you come, the bite is a bit better.

Appreciate the update!
Old 02-25-2024, 08:05 PM

Quote:
So I bought a bunch of rods off a forum member broadhead and this little gem was part of the package.
Normark Bumerang made in Finland.

Traditional Scandinavian design ice rod with reel. Great for getting deep fast. This classic jigging rod is a perfect travel rod for any ice angler.

The lightweight design is durable enough for pike and trout with the added benefit of sensitivity to feel even the lightest bites, so a website says.

Came with about 100 feet of line or I should say small diameter rope so have decided to give it a whirl on lakers. Going to be a gong show if I hook up but hey what’s life without a few challenges.

Fear me not with my mighty rod and lure I didn’t enter the upcoming ice fishing tourney.

Have you caught anything with the Scandahoovian slayer yet?

Old 02-25-2024, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodhead View Post
Have you caught anything with the Scandahoovian slayer yet?

I played with it a bit but she froze up after the rope, I mean line got wet so I will use it either in the tent or on a warmer day....if I do get a laker I will post it up...

Old 02-29-2024, 09:57 AM

I’m looking to head to the lake this weekend. Is anyone able to share what conditions are like for driving right now in terms of snow cover? We have a truck, but no OHV or snow machine. Thanks all,
Old 02-29-2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
I’m looking to head to the lake this weekend. Is anyone able to share what conditions are like for driving right now in terms of snow cover? We have a truck, but no OHV or snow machine. Thanks all,
Pretty much anything with wheels will get you around.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Pretty much anything with wheels will get you around.
Hey Would you happen to know how the ice thickness is? Going out near Garnet point and deciding on sled vs driving out.

Thanks guys!!
Old 02-29-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-J-F View Post
Hey Would you happen to know how the ice thickness is? Going out near Garnet point and deciding on sled vs driving out.

Thanks guys!!
You could easily drive a semi truck on the lake, if that eases your mind
Old 02-29-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
You could easily drive a semi truck on the lake, if that eases your mind
Yep. Was 20+" everywhere we drilled on tournament weekend....and after that amount of travel on the lake plus the cold weather over the last week.....she's got good ice.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:19 AM

A lot of snow in the forecast Sunday/Monday for Cold Lake. If you have plans this weekend on the lake, be careful.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:
A lot of snow in the forecast Sunday/Monday for Cold Lake. If you have plans this weekend on the lake, be careful.

Agree, going across the middle of the lake those ice heaves are getting drifted in.

Typical march if we get more snow and you venture out in a truck or vehicle less capable of travelling on snow you might spend sometime digging, pushing and cursing rather than fishing.

What I had witnessed over the years we would head out first light -10 out and get set up but come noon when the temps get into the plus temps combined with the sun well you can actually see your truck start to sink in the snow as it turns to a slushy mix. That’s when we would pack up missing half a day of fishing due to the heat.

Having a snowmobile or tracked vehicle lets you sit out all day with little to no worries

Just a heads up if the weather gets warmer.

Old 03-03-2024, 09:27 AM

Wink

Well we are finally getting a good snow fall

Still coming down too

Every time I walk by the skidoo it starts jumping up and down perhaps I should get things ready