Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-09-2023, 10:06 AM

Default The new trout on the block

They may not fight like a rainbow but they are sure pretty and cool to catch.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-10-2023, 07:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Wow, Bert nice

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-24-2023, 04:51 PM
Banned

wow what a nice catch
Old 12-27-2023, 11:39 AM

Great Tiger! I just moved to Alberta and that's top of my fish list for next season.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:56 AM

Beauty fish, thanks for sharing the photo. I haven't caught one yet myself. Amazing to see how far science has come.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:32 AM

Smile Help me out

What exactly is it and what do ypu call it? Was it caught in a lake (not running water)? Is it a sterile hybrid?

Is it natural or was it bred by people?

Thanks, I need all the help I can get.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:53 AM

Default Trout

Tiger trout
It’s a cross between brown trout and brook trout.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
What exactly is it and what do ypu call it? Was it caught in a lake (not running water)? Is it a sterile hybrid?

Is it natural or was it bred by people?

Thanks, I need all the help I can get.
They are stocking them in trout ponds with no in/out flow.

They are sterile. Crossed between a brown and brookie. Super aggressive fish and grow stupid fast.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:11 PM

Wow! Nice looking fish!! At first glance I thought brown, then I got looking closer!! Hopefully this will be a good thig for the entire fishery!!
Old 03-17-2024, 03:53 PM

From what I understand talking to a wildlife officer, the thinking is if they stock some browns and some tigers in the ponds along with rainbows it will go a long way to thinning out the carp. Being as there much more aggressive than rainbows so I’m told.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
From what I understand talking to a wildlife officer, the thinking is if they stock some browns and some tigers in the ponds along with rainbows it will go a long way to thinning out the carp. Being as there much more aggressive than rainbows so I’m told.
They will thin out a portion of the smaller carp but as for make a real impact. The carp are holding their own with pike and walleye which are much more predatory and capable of making an impact on even larger carp

As for the tigers they are a neat looking trout and would much rather see them stocked over rainbows. But out of the species stocked I have more respect for browns as they seem smarter/more challenging
Old 03-17-2024, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
They will thin out a portion of the smaller carp but as for make a real impact. The carp are holding their own with pike and walleye which are much more predatory and capable of making an impact on even larger carp

As for the tigers they are a neat looking trout and would much rather see them stocked over rainbows. But out of the species stocked I have more respect for browns as they seem smarter/more challenging
I rather agree, a trout that has been engineered to be dumb sort of defeats the whole point, IMO.

Where I do think there is potential, if they were to stock tigers or browns for strictly C&R purposes in lakes alongside the rainbows. Then the trophy guys are happy, and the rest of us get a fish fry. Even in that scenario, I think browns make more sense than Tigers.

Now if they really want to controll the carp populations, I wonder if Tiger Muskies would be a viable option? Stateside in the north west they have been used in an attempt to erradicate unwanted species for eventual re-stocking.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I rather agree, a trout that has been engineered to be dumb sort of defeats the whole point, IMO.

Where I do think there is potential, if they were to stock tigers or browns for strictly C&R purposes in lakes alongside the rainbows. Then the trophy guys are happy, and the rest of us get a fish fry. Even in that scenario, I think browns make more sense than Tigers.

Now if they really want to controll the carp populations, I wonder if Tiger Muskies would be a viable option? Stateside in the north west they have been used in an attempt to erradicate unwanted species for eventual re-stocking.
Introducing an invasive species to eradicate another invasive species is about the dumbest thing I’ve heard today.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Introducing an invasive species to eradicate another invasive species is about the dumbest thing I’ve heard today.
Before you go around claiming the idea is the dumbest thing you have heard really think about what you are saying

You do realize that is exactly what is being done with tiger trout and browns right and rainbows are not exactly native to most water they are introduced/stocked. Tiger musky are sterile too so not an issue with reproducing

Even though it would be exactly the same and I would love to have Tiger musky in Alberta it’s probably not the best idea. It would be an expensive project and they would not be the best candidate for waters outside of southern Alberta

I sure hope you don’t support the stocking of tiger trout and browns because if so you would likely have the dumbest and most hypocritical post seen all day

Last edited by Smoky buck; 03-18-2024 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:24 PM

It’s done all the time in agriculture. Insects are imported to control other non-native pests. It’s been quite successful too!
Old 03-18-2024, 11:26 PM

I’ve caught a number of Tiger trout, and haven’t found them any easier to fool than stocked rainbows. Their fly preferences can be quite different though - even on the same day, same time, and same water.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:56 AM

I fish a lake stocked with rainbows, browns and tigers. Often have trifecta days and the odds of finding >20 inchers of each species are very high. Recently carp* have appeared so hopefully the fishery won't be ruined.

+Fished extensively in May/June and then in Sep/Oct last year but never caught one. Wondering what fly pattern and presentation would work?
Old 03-19-2024, 12:25 PM

From some videos I’ve seen, tigers love streamers/buggers/leaches. Something bigger and moving.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
From some videos I’ve seen, tigers love streamers/buggers/leaches. Something bigger and moving.
Yes. but in my experience they are also catchable with small chironomids and balanced leeches under an indicator, and backswimmers/boatmen in the fall.
Old 03-19-2024, 06:08 PM

Not that I fish them often but find they are no different than rainbows, browns, brookie, of cutthroat when it comes to fly selection. They took a little of everything from streamers to dries.

They are opportunistic trout in my opinion
Old 03-20-2024, 04:30 PM

Ugly buggers