Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2019, 11:23 AM

And I can't believe you just suggest you should be able to knock a guy out and getting a penalty would be questionable.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:31 AM

I don't have a rooting interest in either team, but theres no debating thats a crap call. The same thing goes on the whole game long come playoff time, and often uncalled. Only cuz he layed there bleeding was the issue. Body slamming, my word. Do you even watch hockey? Say what you want that they blew a 3-1 series lead, thats why its a 7 game series. Theres ebbs and flows, once again, hockey!! Sure they let em score 4 goals on one power play, problem is that powerplay shouldn't have been
Old 04-24-2019, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
What a load. Get it right, or the rules become irrelevant.

Thats not true at all. And it's not a load. Why take the humanity out of a human game. Perhaps best if we had no refs and a Auto puck dropper. Make everything happen out of Toronto or NY. Embrace the fact we make mistakes. Cheer when the coin flips for you, boo when the coin flips against. Can you imagine the storys thats will come out of that game. The long term memories? We here in Calgary still think that puck was in all those years ago. We were ROBBED!!!!! But now we have something talk about. Don't we do all this for the storys?

That was hardly a cross check in the history of memorable cross checks. It was really nothing until Pavelski lost his balance and ended up on his head.
Your last line is true.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:34 AM

I missed the game but seen the highlights just now. From what I seen, Eakin cross checked the guy up at his shoulders and into his neck at the drop of the puck. Give him a 2 min sit.

It was the other guy who knocked Pavelski off his balance and sent him to the ice where it is clear he smacked his head real good. To me it looks like the helmet cut him. They were holding a towel to his left ear area.

No way Vegas loses if it's a 2 min minor. Should have been reviewed.

That's hockey, I recall the Oilers getting destroyed by dirty play and the refs giving the Ducks a free ride.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:38 AM

Just watched it. That’s a 2 min penalty. Go Sharks!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Your last line is true
You're a genius.
Well thank you.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
And I can't believe you just suggest you should be able to knock a guy out and getting a penalty would be questionable.
Light pushing and shoving in the faceoff circle happens about 100 times per game, every game. That’s a whole lot of 5 minute majors every game, could be a game in itself.
If you honestly believe that as not a horrible call I feel sorry for you.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:10 PM

The five minute major was called on the guess that he was crosschecked to the head. He clearly wasn’t and IMO Pavelski embellished that shove.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 04-24-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Light pushing and shoving in the faceoff circle happens about 100 times per game, every game. That’s a whole lot of 5 minute majors every game, could be a game in itself.
If you honestly believe that as not a horrible call I feel sorry for you.
Guess you're right.

Maybe lots of guys get knocked out, unconscious on the ice, carried off, with no penalties called. Maybe it will be the star players too...
Old 04-24-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Guess you're right.

Maybe lots of guys get knocked out, unconscious on the ice, carried off, with no penalties called. Maybe it will be the star players too...
Do you think there will be supplementary discipline handed out by the league on that play?

-Billy Molls
Old 04-24-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Do you think there will be supplementary discipline handed out by the league on that play?
Because of the Trochu ruling, it will get him a 20 game suspension.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Do you think there will be supplementary discipline handed out but the league on that play?
No. He got a major and a game, in a playoff situation, I think that is adequate.

For the actual cross check, I agree, it could have been a penalty, maybe not. However, I believe cross checking majors are called on the outcome at the discretion of the ref. The outcome was pretty bad, hence I agree with the call. I'm more annoyed with the NHL that cross checks like that are apparently so common place that people don't even think it's a penalty.

Hockey News
Old 04-24-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I accidentally crossed checked a co-worked in the hallway this morning, saw him there, brought my hands up, braced my feet, and drove into him. He understands I didn't do it on purpose though.... It definitely wasn't an accident. Did they intend to leave Joe in a crumpled heap on the ice, probably not, but their actions weren't accidental.

I hope you're not under the impression that since it was an "accident", it shouldn't be a penalty. Accidental plays are called all the time.
If I trip a guy and he falls awkwardly and hits his head, is that a play that deserves a 5 minute major?

Watch it again, the cross check was across the chest and in the front. Joe then fell over the knee of the Vegas winger trying to get to the puck that was pulled back to the D-man.

The refs blew the call horribly.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
No. He got a major and a game, in a playoff situation, I think that is adequate.

For the actual cross check, I agree, it could have been a penalty, maybe not. However, I believe cross checking majors are called on the outcome at the discretion of the ref. The outcome was pretty bad, hence I agree with the call. I'm more annoyed with the NHL that cross checks like that are apparently so common place that people don't even think it's a penalty.

Hockey News
You mean "Hockey News" which has a contract with the NHL. The same NHL that fines players and coaches for criticizing refs????? Yeah that is a reliable and non bias article.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
If I trip a guy and he falls awkwardly and hits his head, is that a play that deserves a 5 minute major?

Watch it again, the cross check was across the chest and in the front. Joe then fell over the knee of the Vegas winger trying to get to the puck that was pulled back to the D-man.

The refs blew the call horribly.
No. But tripping calls aren't at the discretion of the ref based on the outcome. Cross checking penalties are, and the end result was a guy lying unconscious on the ice in a pool of blood, hence I agree with the call.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:10 PM

Wow lots of talk about the Sharks/VGK series, was pretty interesting. I like both teams equally so didn’t really care who won...for me there is another series to watch regardless.

That being said, the call was crappy, but Vegas deserved to lose. You go up 3-1 in series, then 3-0 in game 7 and can’t put the Sharks down? Prob should look at the coaching, shouldn’t have even come to a game 7. Lots to learn there kids...

Followed Sharks since day 1 when Pat Falloon was supposed to be a star. While I am glad they battled back and won the series, they looked pretty worn out there, and I think they will get wiped out next round when a team that doesn’t suffer as many complete mental collapses faces off.

Also no Fleury to help out..at least once a series he goes into “Planet Fleury” and lets in a game winning crap goal.

On a side note, anyone else think it’s time to for the Jets to let Maurice go? To lose is one thing, its another to just fall apart and play like pre schoolers for 4 periods. A lot of that is on him.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
You mean "Hockey News" which has a contract with the NHL. The same NHL that fines players and coaches for criticizing refs????? Yeah that is a reliable and non bias article.
Some interesting points in there though, no?

Not that article, but I found it interesting that "According to MoneyPuck.com, the Sharks had a 1.19 percent chance to win the game when they were given the five-minute major.".
Old 04-24-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
No. But tripping calls aren't at the discretion of the ref based on the outcome. Cross checking penalties are, and the end result was a guy lying unconscious on the ice in a pool of blood, hence I agree with the call.
The cross check did not land him on his head. Sorry.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-24-2019, 03:51 PM
Banned

The 5 minute major did not cost VGK’s the series. It was the last 200 minutes that they played.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:06 PM

Any predictions for tonight?

I'm going with 4-2 Capitals.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
What's a fair call for crosschecking a guy then body slamming him leaving him unconscious with a pool of blood on the ice when the puck is 40' away then?
I have to say I did not see any body slamming taking place. The cross check yeah could have been called no issues there but no way that was a 5 min major. Clearly the refs didn't see the play just him bleeding on the ice and over reacted. The Knights player your claiming slammed him, just got tangled up with him while going towards the puck, as they lost the faceoff.
Not saying refs cost them the game, clearly the PK did that but the refs definitely played a part in the outcome.
This years playoffs as a whole the refs are way to involved. Even the Flames Avs series, again didn't cost Flames, they blew it but way to many crap calls for playoffs. They are in my opinion related to game outcomes with changing momentum.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Yeah would think Caps as well. They must be tasting repeat possibly with so many top ranks out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2019, 04:21 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2019, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

Got to go with the Hurricanes here

Old 04-24-2019, 05:21 PM

4-3 caps.

Praying for another game 7 OT.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
The 5 minute major did not cost VGK’s the series. It was the last 200 minutes that they played.
Vegas was up 3 with 10 minutes left. That alone means they played well in the last 50 minutes prior to that.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Banned

Why are the Caps sitting back and not going hard for the win?
Old 04-24-2019, 08:33 PM
Banned

Holee shyte it's OT in Game 7 Caps/Canes
Old 04-24-2019, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Vegas was up 3 with 10 minutes left. That alone means they played well in the last 50 minutes prior to that.
They were ahead in goals but were outplayed the whole game.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:59 PM
Banned

Furthermore, lost in this discussion is the favourable call Vegas got on Eakin’s goal. Somehow Toronto decided it was a “legal” high stick.