Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-11-2024, 11:52 AM

Default Adventures in Heave Smashing

Was up at Calling on Friday afternoon. At 1 PM walked down to the shore to see that the ice heave previously cut through with a chain saw and smashed out with a sledge hammer had not changed in 3 weeks!

Went and did chores, came back on with the sled, and the heave had popped 3 feet!

Went and found a crossing that a neighbour had cut out with a bucket / hoe unit and all was OK.

Ice was very loud, and the way on had blown up by the time I went to cross, again.

Next morning, the crossing had to be smashed down with sledge and pick, but made it across. Coming back again the heave blew up, about 4 feet this time.

Sunday was more of the same, with the group of us having to go down the lake about a mile to find a crossing so we could travel back along shore to get back.

Ben Auger is also impassible due to a 3 ++foot heave with broken ice that blew on Saturday afternoon.

Good Times.

Drewski
Old 03-11-2024, 01:52 PM

Time lapse camera would be cool to see the regen of the heave.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Time lapse camera would be cool to see the regen of the heave.
Yep, that would be neat to see.
Old 03-11-2024, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Was up at Calling on Friday afternoon. At 1 PM walked down to the shore to see that the ice heave previously cut through with a chain saw and smashed out with a sledge hammer had not changed in 3 weeks!

Went and did chores, came back on with the sled, and the heave had popped 3 feet!

Went and found a crossing that a neighbour had cut out with a bucket / hoe unit and all was OK.

Ice was very loud, and the way on had blown up by the time I went to cross, again.

Next morning, the crossing had to be smashed down with sledge and pick, but made it across. Coming back again the heave blew up, about 4 feet this time.

Sunday was more of the same, with the group of us having to go down the lake about a mile to find a crossing so we could travel back along shore to get back.

Ben Auger is also impassible due to a 3 ++foot heave with broken ice that blew on Saturday afternoon.

Good Times.

Drewski
Been dealing with this on Lesser Slave too, two weeks ago I nearly lost my truck through the ice while crossing a small crack in the exact spot I've crossed it all year. Turns out it had opened and then re-froze, without changin apearance at all.

My front tires went down and I figured I'd just dropped them into a small crack (crossed that spot two days earlyer), then I fell through... near the back side of the drivers side door. Caught myself going down, but was wet up to my waist. So the bumper was resting on the far side of the crack, with thin ice at least to the rear of the front doors, with about 15' of water straight down... I dont know where the balance point is on a pickup, but at that point I got pretty worried that if I tried to pull it backwards the truck might go nose down.

Long story short I got the pickup out of there using Jack-All's, blocking, and 12' oilfield planks, but by that time I had been working in -20, soaked to the waist for almost 5 hours (very worried that the crack would move, or the wind would kick up real bad, so I didnt feel the cold untill I was done). Spent the next week sick as a dog, but things could have been Much worse.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-11-2024 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Been dealing with this on Lesser Slave too, two weeks ago I nearly lost my truck through the ice while crossing a small crack in the exact spot I've crossed it all year. Turns out it had opened and then re-froze, without changin apearance at all.

My front tires went down and I figured I'd just dropped them into a small crack (crossed that spot two days earlyer), then I fell through... near the back side of the drivers side door. Caught myself going down, but was wet up to my waist. So the bumper was resting on the far side of the crack, with thin ice at least to the rear of the front doors, with about 15' of water straight down... I dont know where the balance point is on a pickup, but at that point I got pretty worried that if I tried to pull it backwards the truck might go nose down.

Long story short I got the pickup out of there using Jack-All's, blocking, and 12' oilfield planks, but by that time I had been working in -20, soaked to the waist for almost 5 hours (very worried that the crack would move, or the wind would kick up real bad, so I didnt feel the cold untill I was done). Spent the next week sick as a dog, but things could have been Much worse.
Well that sounds like a whole lot of suck glad you managed to get it out but sounds like you paid health wise
Old 03-11-2024, 10:43 PM

Bushleague,

What you are talking about happened on the north end of Calling Lake in January. Chevrolet Avalanche dropped into the opening and just slowly slid to the bottom in 9 FOW. By the time a recovery plan was made, some of the ice was 30 inches thick for the area that had to be cut out to pull the truck out.

I have a Tirfir winch and cable at the cabin, and have often wondered if a 6" x 6" post dropped into a hole cut with an ice auger would be a good enough anchor point to slide a partly dropped truck across a crack or heave to effect recovery.

Trick would be finding a solid anchor point to pull on. Hope I never have to try this idea out.

Drewski
Old 03-12-2024, 08:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I guess that why I warn people about ice travel on cold lake from what I see first hand. Yup a bit of pucker power a month ago seeing the lake open up on the very same track I took across the lake 6 hrs earlier.
Now it’s skidoo, striker ice climate suit and still take my time always respecting the lake.
Safe ice travels folks.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-12-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Good Times.

Drewski
How was the access at the PP Park? I was out there a couple of weeks ago and it was good. Then we got that big dump of snow in Edmonton so I'm curious how the conditions are there?
Old 03-12-2024, 10:01 AM

Some people are overconfident just because they drive a pick-up truck, and not only when it comes to ice fishing.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fradaburidi View Post
Some people are overconfident just because they drive a pick-up truck, and not only when it comes to ice fishing.
You've got rocks in your head if driving a truck gives you a sense of confidence. I know lots of experienced ice anglers that refuse to drive on the ice with a truck...heck the COs we saw at Peerless this weekend said the same, and the B.C. COs are not allowed to drive on the ice with their trucks.

I've never heard anyone say "Pffft...no way I'm going across the lake on my sled. Let me take my HD 3500."
Old 03-12-2024, 01:22 PM

Quote:

That is nuts. Any of us that drive on the ice could have the same experience. I'm glad you got out of there okay.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Good Times.

Drewski
We unloaded at Ben Auger on saturday. I have never before heard the noise coming from the ice all day.At one point a crack appeared right beside us and water came to the surface. I talked to Drewski on the phone in the afternoon and he warned me that we could have trouble getting off. When we got back to the boat launch we found a wall of ice blocking our path. I found a spot where the drop was only about three feet and got back to shore. I doubt that there will be enough snow by this weekend to run a snowmobile without scratchers. Time to put plates on the quad.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
That is nuts. Any of us that drive on the ice could have the same experience. I'm glad you got out of there okay.
Yeah, I used to think it was just noobs and out of towners that usually went through. The last couple years have made me re-think that... if you spend enough time messing around on a lake as un-predictable as Slave, odds are that eventually something crappy will happen.

So my plan going forwards is to keep an axe and planks in the back of my truck, test every crack and lay down the planks before I cross. The big problem is, I know this wont solve everything. The particular crack that almost got me was not a pressure crack at the time (it is now). It was just a little crack, that would spurt out a litte water if you crossed it in the wrong place. This year, knowing where it was, I could have tested it every time. Most years, when there is snow cover, I probably wouldnt have even know it was there.

The other option is to use an ATV, on the surface that seems safer... except that in the incident I described the quad would have almost certainly gone right through. So I'm not really sure where to go from here, I can put my finger on a couple things I can try to do differently, but I really cant 100% ensure that I wont eventually end up in a similar situation.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:47 PM

Bush league. Could you have drilled a couple holes, stuck stout logs down them and winched backwards with a couple come-alongs?
Old 03-13-2024, 07:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Yeah, I used to think it was just noobs and out of towners that usually went through. The last couple years have made me re-think that... if you spend enough time messing around on a lake as un-predictable as Slave, odds are that eventually something crappy will happen.

So my plan going forwards is to keep an axe and planks in the back of my truck, test every crack and lay down the planks before I cross. The big problem is, I know this wont solve everything. The particular crack that almost got me was not a pressure crack at the time (it is now). It was just a little crack, that would spurt out a litte water if you crossed it in the wrong place. This year, knowing where it was, I could have tested it every time. Most years, when there is snow cover, I probably wouldnt have even know it was there.

The other option is to use an ATV, on the surface that seems safer... except that in the incident I described the quad would have almost certainly gone right through. So I'm not really sure where to go from here, I can put my finger on a couple things I can try to do differently, but I really cant 100% ensure that I wont eventually end up in a similar situation.
Well at least your here to share this with us. Crap happens even to the most prepared.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-13-2024, 09:58 AM

So glad things worked out for you. I always get a bit scared after temp drop. Opens cracks that one can't see.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:20 AM

When your on big bodies of water your goin to have sketchy ice in areas. Between heaves and gas pockets it’s best to stay on the beatin trail and don’t venture with out knowledge of the area you are in specially if you don’t know the lake.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:08 PM

Truck no boat, no float good

I will never drive a highway vehicle on the ice again. One serious close call was enough. Walk, sled, ATV, or stay home. The fish can’t get out of the lake and I can always get them next time.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:35 PM

I've been using a skidoo for a very long time. Simply because it has the ability to span alot of cracks with minimum ground pressure. Also, because they are sitting in the garage ready to go.

Now with no snow cover, the fan cooled machines have a huge advantage over the liquid cooled sleds. Scratchers will kick up some ice on the track and on the heat exchanger on a liquid cooled machine, but ice is hard, and not alot gets thrown up even with the fixed scratchers.

Ice conditions like what we now have makes it a challenge to try and drive through every patch of slush you can find so that the sliders do not overheat.

Next biggest problem is remembering the creepers so you can walk safely.

Drewski
Old 03-13-2024, 04:35 PM

Maybe you guys need to check out the , Wilcraft , that works on land water ice
Seems to be what you guys need on unsafe ice conditions
https://www.thewilcraft.com/
Old 03-13-2024, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt45 View Post
Well thats a cool buggy. Looked online to see what they sell for. Ouch.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt45 View Post
And a million dollars.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:26 AM

Forecast is very warm for the weekend. Not good.

At Calling last Sunday access at the Provincial Park was perfect, just a real lack of snow so get your ice creepers on and go slow when walking.

Up north the big dump of snow dwindled the further north past Westlock that you travelled. By Athabasca basically no snow at all.

You could drive a kid's tricycle on that smooth ice if you could get the thing to start going. No problem getting around.

Ice thickness required using the extension bar on a Jiffy Model 30. Just barely need it, but it was alot easier on the back with the extension on.

Drewski
Old 03-14-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:

At Calling last Sunday access at the Provincial Park was perfect, just a real lack of snow so get your ice creepers on and go slow when walking.

Up north the big dump of snow dwindled the further north past Westlock that you travelled. By Athabasca basically no snow at all.

You could drive a kid's tricycle on that smooth ice if you could get the thing to start going. No problem getting around.

Ice thickness required using the extension bar on a Jiffy Model 30. Just barely need it, but it was alot easier on the back with the extension on.

Drewski
I was out there a couple weeks ago when those high winds hit and if I never had boot cleats it would have been a nightmare. A person could skate all around the whole lake. Thanks for the update.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
I was out there a couple weeks ago when those high winds hit and if I never had boot cleats it would have been a nightmare. A person could skate all around the whole lake. Thanks for the update.
Yeah, we were out there on the 23rd prior to the snow on that +9 day. The truck got a really good washing. You could easily do icecapades with the truck. Even with cleats some gusts would move me a few feet. Crazy conditions this year!
Old 03-15-2024, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Bush league. Could you have drilled a couple holes, stuck stout logs down them and winched backwards with a couple come-alongs?
Or do it the Russian way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0_oKHARhXw
Old 03-15-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Drewski
Worst part of the warm days is they often bring out a lot more of the inexperienced out onto the ice. Especially the dodo birds who speed across the ice. I like my cold weekends for that reason.