Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 PM

Default Upper Jumpingpound

think I'm gonna go try Jumpingpound by powderface trail/sibbald today.

anybody got any tips?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-07-2013, 02:53 PM

I haven't confirmed it personally but, a buddy told me on friday that powderface trail is washed out.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:09 PM

powderface is washed out but you can still get to jumpingpound via 68 and the end of powderface trail.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:48 PM

Jumpingpound was high and murky on saturday, not really fishable yet. It might have down a bit but I'm not sure with that rain. Let us know what it looks like!
Old 07-08-2013, 04:35 PM

it was clear. just a b**ch to fly fish because there's trees and crap all along the shore washed up.

had only one bite in Jumpingpound, only fished it for an hour. fished sibbald and caught a few brookies and rainbows

BRING YOUR BUG SPRAY

Old 07-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Banned

How bad did JP get hit by the flooding?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM

from the looks of the debris the whole valley between sibbald and jumpingpound was flooded

Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 PM

the path down where I live on the Jumping Pound in Cochrane there are some big changes in the structure of the river between the bridge and the confluence. Massive trees and other debris is all around the banks and the pathway on the east side has been washed away. The pathway on the west side of the creek only flooded in a small area.

This area experienced huge flooding back in 2005 and had been rebuilt I believe right after. The water is still pretty high and off-color. Saw some tan caddis hatching.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:01 PM

I was at JP yesterday and my goodness- the bushwacking I had to do through the fallout from the flood was not worth the hassle! I did happen to land a 16" brookie out of the one exceptionally deep hole I found which was the highlight of my day. I found that a dragonfly nymph/little olive wooley bugger worked superbly. The fishing was great, but more hassle than it was worth. TAKE YOUR BUGSPRAY!

Bring bug spray and a machete if you want to fish the JP anytime soon.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Banned

is the sibbald waters clean?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 PM

Flie,

haven't been in a couple of weeks, and had a little trouble finding news spots. Deep pools still hold decent #s of Brookies; but Beaver dams (and associated ponds, of course) are gone, which meant that some of my favourite spots are no longer all that good. At that time, they were taking a variety of flies: pale mayfly patterns (I think I was using Cahill Lights); Royal Wulff; Prince nymphs; and Woolly Buggers...but this would be pretty out-of-date by now.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 AM

It's fishing well! Loads of little brook trout and the odd rainbow or cutthroat. Dry fly action really picks up around 6pm. Any mayfly imitation seems to work. Yes definitely some crazy flooding! Still lots of pools though.