Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-08-2013, 09:01 PM

Default Good Deeds at Mallard Point

I was fishing the Mallard Point channel of the Bow working upstream from Bankside. I came across a frantic baby mallard that appeared to be stuck in long grass next to the shore. Upon closer inspection I figured out that it was actually hooked through the beak and the line was tangled in some bushes on shore. I managed to get the hook out (a #14 Lightening bug nymph I believe) and set the the young one free. A few minutes later as I was passing a large gouged out mud hole where the path used to be when my eye caught the movement of a fairly large fish trapped in the hole. He was already spooked so i decided to attempt a catch and release on my way back. He did not want anything to do with my foam fly and I spooked him again. I tried to use my net to trap him but he managed to escape every time. It is amazing that a trout that size could survive in a puddle about 3m long and 1m wide for more than 6 weeks. There is a sizeable school of minnows trapped in the same hole. The puddle is shrinking fast so if any one else is up that way there is a trout that needs rescueing. The hole is just upstream of the new large wide and deep gravel bar on a tight bend (river right) about half way to Mallard Point.

On a side note there are some very deep new pools in the channel and some very fishy looking new structure. I have put about 5 hours in working a variety of dries and nymphs but have only seen three fish rising and have yet to induce a strike. There is a lot more water than usual (more than pre 2005 levels) so I'm sure it will just be a matter of time until the fish move in.

Tim
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 PM

I was fishing just south of the calf robe bridge on Monday evening. There was an evening caddis hatch and I saw many trout rising. I would guess I saw 30-40 rises in about a 45 min time frame. Unfortunately it was a difficult place to cast. I did more spooking than catching. But it was nice to see. I'll be headed there again tomorrow evening.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:47 PM

I was walking the dog by the same flood holes today. I could not believe it but the trapped "trout" was still there. There was not even enough water to cover his back. I was able to grab him with my hands and release him back into the channel, 8 weeks after the flood. The trapped "trout" turned out to be a pike but it is still amazing that it survived for so long.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 AM

Unreal,

When I went out relocating some lost fish after the floods with SRD guys, I found a decent sized pike full of mud in the grass down near inglewood. Sad to see such good sized fish die, oh well... bug food