Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-07-2023, 09:30 PM

I was in the same boat and got myself a 400fps Xbow. I bought 20” piledrivers and am not happy with them. I will be going to the manufacturers recommendation and will use 125 grain broadheads. I’m a believer in front heavy and I think I’ll get more speed and energy with the lighter arrow with the 125’s.
Good luck.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:15 PM

I am using three different arrows on my Excalibur crossbows:

Black Eagle Zombie Slayer cut to 17", 415 grs with a 175 gr NAP FOC Broadhead;

Carbon Express Maxima cut to 17", 420 grs with 175 gr NAP FOC Broadhead; and

BloodSport cut to 16", 415grs with a brass insert and a 150 gr Excalibur Boltcutter.

All these arrows will hit the 10 ring at 50 yards, every time, shooting off a bench rest.

My arrows are short and heavy because they work in Excalibur crossbows. crossbows. The NAP FOC mechanical broadhead opens to 3". Delivers a cut like a hatchet. A blind man can follow the blood trail.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cageyc View Post
I was in the same boat and got myself a 400fps Xbow. I bought 20” piledrivers and am not happy with them. I will be going to the manufacturers recommendation and will use 125 grain broadheads. I’m a believer in front heavy and I think I’ll get more speed and energy with the lighter arrow with the 125’s.
Good luck.
@Cagey did you chrony your 20" bolts?
Curious why you don't like them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I am using three different arrows on my Excalibur crossbows:

Black Eagle Zombie Slayer cut to 17", 415 grs with a 175 gr NAP FOC Broadhead;

Carbon Express Maxima cut to 17", 420 grs with 175 gr NAP FOC Broadhead; and

BloodSport cut to 16", 415grs with a brass insert and a 150 gr Excalibur Boltcutter.

All these arrows will hit the 10 ring at 50 yards, every time, shooting off a bench rest.

My arrows are short and heavy because they work in Excalibur crossbows. crossbows. The NAP FOC mechanical broadhead opens to 3". Delivers a cut like a hatchet. A blind man can follow the blood trail.
@CNP I've only practiced to 20 yards but when I got a shot at a bull moose at 40 yards I center-punched his lungs. Perfect broadside shot.

The 3 blade Excalibur broadhead cuts a pretty small hole, seems to me, but the moose was dead in just 50 yards.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker

Last edited by Demonical; 12-08-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-08-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
@Cagey did you chrony your 20" bolts?
Curious why you don't like them?

@CNP I've only practiced to 20 yards but when I got a shot at a bull moose at 40 yards I center-punched his lungs. Perfect broadside shot.

The 3 blade Excalibur broadhead cuts a pretty small hole, seems to me, but the moose was dead in just 50 yards.
The NAP FOC broadheads that I use are only for deer sized game. 3" of cut through the thicker hide and bulk of the chest cavity of elk and moose isn't the best match for FOC broadheads. 1 to 1.5 inches of cut is better for elk and moose.