Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-11-2020, 07:32 PM

Default hello there just wondering about two types of ammo horndry sst ,and federal fusion

hello there .just wondering about two types of ammo horndry sst ,and federal fusion. in the 270 win. 130 and 140 grain sst ,and in federal fusion 130 and 150 grain going throught a husky 270 win it shoots about .6 inch groupes at 100 yards.at 200 yards about 1 inch groupes. with winchester super x 150 grain. with the price of ammo thses days any help would be great.also with winchester super x ammo when you shoot this ammo at a 2 liter pop bottle all it seems to do is put a hole throught the bottle, why?. and with other ammo like horndry sst ,and federal fusion when you hit other bottle like this it explodes from the in side out with a lot of force , common sense .or is there someing that i am missing. the 130 grain horndry sst seem not to like hitting bone. while the winchester super x will go through bone with no effort.also the good old remington 742 30-06 one is for sale thing of buying it . once again what type of ammo. i heard remington core locks 180 grain psp. or mabe the ammo i was talking about above thank you.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:18 PM

Fusion all day long. Have tried both and the results on the Fusion were impressive. Dropped a moose like a sheet of plywood where it stood; same on a cow Elk with a 30-06. Tried the SST's on a whitetail out of a 260 remington I believe and it was like a hand grenade hit the chest wall. It was a dead deer but the rear of the front shoulder was a mess with rib bone fragments.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:12 PM

You have 3 different types of bullets with 3 different designed results going on.

Sst stands for super shock tip it’s more of a semifragmenting round i would expect to see core separation with the sst. It has worked well for me on deer and I haven’t used it on elk or moose. https://www.hornady.com/bullets/sst-...-shock-tip)#!/

The federal fusion is a bullet designed for deep penetration and weight retention with a core that is bonded to the jacket The Hornady equivalent would be something like the American whitetail round. https://www.wideopenspaces.com/what-...l-fusion-ammo/

The super x uses a power point bullet and has a jacket that is stretched over a lead core to the shape of the bullet. It isn’t bonded and I would expect to see core separation on larger game if the rounds are recovered. this one is an old design made for penetration and less fragmentation https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...r-power-point/

None of these bullets are bad they all work for sure but there all also in the budget/entry level of factory loads. Try and match your ammo to your style and game your hunting if your just smashing pop bottles and want to see them atomized like they where hit with a death ray maybe experiment with some full fragmenting varmint rounds.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post

The federal fusion is a bullet designed for deep penetration and weight retention with a core that is bonded to the jacket The Hornady equivalent would be something like the American whitetail round. https://www.wideopenspaces.com/what-...l-fusion-ammo/
Whoever wrote that article is a fool. The Fusion bullet is a form of a bonded bullet. The Hornady American Whitetail line uses the Hornady Interlock. It is not a bonded bullet. This is not a direct comparison.

I would rate the Fusion as a little tougher bullet than the Interlock, but there are no flies on the Interlock. I've used the 129gr 6.5 in the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:56 PM

I've used the 150gr Fusion in the 300WSM. No complaints.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:25 PM

I always keep Federal Powershocks and Fusions on the shelf for all of my rifles, even if I use higher end loads as a mainstay.

I have my father's old Husky 270. He loved the Ballistic Silvertips from Winchester but the only thing I put through it are the Federal 130 grain Powershocks. I use the same Powershocks in my other 270s. I find them to be very consistent in accuracy. I get beautiful tight groups in all but one of my 270s. I have a Rem700 Mountain LSS that performs extremely well with the heavier 150 grain Fusions, despite the skinny barrel.

The performance of the 130 and 150 Powershocks and Fusions have been excellent on game. Your pop bottle may not get the dramatic explosion you are hoping to see but every deer, elk, and moose I have killed with these bullets anchored on the spot with clean one shot kills.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:19 PM

I've had excellent results with Federal Fusion 130 and 150gr out of my Tikka 270win. I like the 150's better because they are slightly more accurate through my gun, both will shoot under an inch at 100m if I do my part. The 150's group just ever so slightly better.

I've recovered only three bullets from game(I really like complete pass throughs two holes are always better than one) and all retained a high percentage of mass. 87% for one from a cow elk, 83% from a mule deer, and 76% from a white tail buck.

Theoretically the 150's should also hold their energy down range better and being longer have a better BC. Not that those matter much in most of the hunting situations I find myself in, only a couple of animals I've killed were more than 150m away. I practise quite a bit out to 300m and have shot targets out to 450m and am confident the Fusions are a good compromise of effectiveness and price point. The more you shoot the more comfortable you'll be with your rifle. If a determining factor is the price of the ammunition Fusion are a good bullet. Keep in mind however your ammunition will be the least expensive component of the hunt.