Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-07-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you are consistently shooting 1/4" groups at 200 yards using factory loads, you should take up competitive benchrest shooting. You could be the next world champion.
The first one to do it with factory ammunition.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-07-2020, 07:26 AM

I'm not a technician by any means.
My recommendation would be less about trying to tune the rifle harmonics to start (such as checking the bedding)
Start off with shooting 25 yards from a stable platform slowly increasing the distance.
If you are getting wildly inconsistent results from that range then it has nothing to do with the scope.
Have you tried mounting the scope to your "tried and proven" rifle to see if the results vary on the other?
Old 05-07-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariouskater View Post
I'm not a technician by any means.
My recommendation would be less about trying to tune the rifle harmonics to start (such as checking the bedding)
Start off with shooting 25 yards from a stable platform slowly increasing the distance.
If you are getting wildly inconsistent results from that range then it has nothing to do with the scope.
Have you tried mounting the scope to your "tried and proven" rifle to see if the results vary on the other?
If the scope is bad, you will see the same inconsistency pattern at all ranges, but the magnitude will vary with range.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
If the scope is bad, you will see the same inconsistency pattern at all ranges, but the magnitude will vary with range.
Thank you for clarifying.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
If you are consistently shooting 1/4" groups at 200 yards using factory loads, you should take up competitive benchrest shooting. You could be the next world champion.

After being given a hard time I opted to check deeper into how groupings are measured; and I’m wrong (shocker.)

Either way the point remains, substantial improvement in groupings with glass bedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazIce View Post
After being given a hard time I opted to check deeper into how groupings are measured; and I’m wrong (shocker.)

Either way the point remains, substantial improvement in groupings with glass bedding.

So after discovering how groups are measured, how do your 200 yard groups really measure up?

As for getting a hard time, your claim was about equal to stating that you run 100 meters in under 10 seconds.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
Purchased a Tikka T3 243 and am becoming very frustrated with it's lack of accuracy. The best group size to date is just over 1 inch and some groups have exceeded 3 inches in size. Any suggestions or recommendations will be appreciated. To this point I have experimented with various cartridge combinations using 4 different bullets, 4 different powders and 2 different brass manufactures. I have removed the stock and removed a bit of material where I found uneven barrel to stock contact that was interfering with free float. This did not cause any improvement. I then experimented by putting a shim between the barrel and forstock to create a consistent pressure point. This did not create any improvement either.The scope currently on the rifle is a Vortex Diamondback 4X12 and is basically new and has only been fired at the range, never hunted or abused. The rings and bases are solid and in good condition.
Since Tikka's are renowned to shoot well, I am very disappointed in this rifle.
I am seriously considering sending it back to Tikka Canada but thought I would run it past you guys first.
I would try messing with the action screw torque. There is a thread going on another forum with the same issue on a Tikka 223. He ends up solving the problem by slowly increasing torque and groups started to tighten up. He ends up at 50inch/lbs on the front screw and 45 on the back. I have heard the front commonly likes 5 lbs more than the back on the Tikkas.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazIce View Post
I'm just a deer hunter so these questions are simply motivated by idle curiosity.

How did you erroneously measure a group at 200 yards to be 0.25"?

In general, do people shoot 5 or 10 shots when measuring group size capability of a rifle?
Old 05-07-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram94 View Post
I would try messing with the action screw torque. There is a thread going on another forum with the same issue on a Tikka 223. He ends up solving the problem by slowly increasing torque and groups started to tighten up. He ends up at 50inch/lbs on the front screw and 45 on the back. I have heard the front commonly likes 5 lbs more than the back on the Tikkas.
Owning four T-3 rifles, I never found any of them sensitive to action screw torque.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Owning four T-3 rifles, I never found any of them sensitive to action screw torque.
That's fair.

Many others have.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram94 View Post
That's fair.

Many others have.
A gun that is sensitive the action screw torque is a very clear and unequivocal sign that there is something wrong with the bedding. A properly bedded rifle will show very little torque effect once you get 30 inch pounds or more on the screws. If I had a gun that was torque sensitive I would for sure bed it, though to be honest I already bed almost all my guns now.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
A gun that is sensitive the action screw torque is a very clear and unequivocal sign that there is something wrong with the bedding. A properly bedded rifle will show very little torque effect once you get 30 inch pounds or more on the screws. If I had a gun that was torque sensitive I would for sure bed it, though to be honest I already bed almost all my guns now.
Exactly! When rifles are very sensitive to action screw torque, there is often an issue causing this. I generally bed any rifle that has this issue.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:03 PM

Wow, I am more than pleasantly surprised. Swapped out the Vortex Diamondback with a Zeiss Conquest and tried once again to see if the little Tikka 243 would remain in my safe or get returned to Tikka Canada.
I have to say I was not expecting a huge improvement however was hoping for
some. After sighting in the Zeiss that I had pulled off of another rifle I started the test. All of my test loads shot a great deal better than anything had previously. When it came to the third set of test loads, shooting a Barnes 80gr. TTSX bullet, loaded with 36.5 gr. of H Varget it shot a three shot group under
.20 inches. If I was technically capable of posting pictures of the target I would do so, as I do have a picture of the group. Thank you to all of you who predicted the scope was the problem. Tomorrow the Vortex scope will be returned under warranty. I do not think I will be buying another Vortex, particularly a Diamondback series anytime soon.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:16 PM

Glad you solved the problem !!
Cat
Old 05-07-2020, 07:20 PM

There seems to be no end to the Vortex scope issues, a good warranty doesn't make up for such a high failure rate.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Glad you found the problem '
Cat
Me too Cat, thanks for your sound advice.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
There seems to be no end to the Vortex scope issues, a good warranty doesn't make up for such a high failure rate.
Nope, having a great warranty is good having to use it too often is not!
Cat
Old 05-07-2020, 07:35 PM

Really glad to hear u got it sorted out. Many of the guys on here are pretty good at figuring things out. Almost like having my dad back. The nice thing is you now have a gun that shoots great and can develop from here.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:43 PM

Yup, judgjng from this pic that you sent me RangerCS,I would say both load development and accuracy issues are sorted out !

Cat
Old 05-07-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Really glad to hear u got it sorted out. Many of the guys on here are pretty good at figuring things out. Almost like having my dad back. The nice thing is you now have a gun that shoots great and can develop from here.
Yes, maybe even better than Dad, as the collective experience here far exceeds the experience of any one man, even Dad. Thanks Dean2 for you good advice, appreciated our PM communication.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:12 AM

Awesome -- I'm glad you found the solution to your problem. Having a T3 chambered in 243 that won't shoot suggests something just isn't right in the world. After all the frustration, shooting that group must have left you grinning ear to ear
Old 05-10-2020, 10:27 AM

Default Advise Needed Regarding Tikka T3

Wow, what an improvement. Congrats and happy hunting!

Old 05-10-2020, 09:47 PM

But, can it shoot?
lol
Looks awesome. Duly noted on the vortex
Old 05-14-2020, 06:51 PM

Looks like I'm sticking to Zeiss
Old 05-14-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP/-31 View Post
Looks like I'm sticking to Zeiss
Me as well. I have four of them and they are all great scopes. Optical brightness and clarity is outstanding. Mechanically speaking, I am not sure if they are any better than any other good quality scope. I no, I will never buy another Vortex Diamondback. I don't have any experience with their Viper or Razor lines of rifle scope. Can anybody on here offer any feedback regarding either of these two upper end models?