Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-06-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifle View Post
Separation, Canuck. That's the only way for Alberta. But I don't have much hope of that. The cities would never go for it. Montana's looking better all the time.
I agree, and I've been saying it for years. We may finally be getting to the point where a majority of Albertans feel that way (though it's dicey, just look at who got elected as mayors in Edmonton and Calgary, that says a lot about our changing demographics here)....but we don't have a legitimate separatist movement here imo. Wexit sure isn't, and it's getting more fringe every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
This is part of the problem. How many people do you think support the ban because they equate Canadian hunters and sportsman, or gun owners with the same armed protesters across the border in the USA? If you do not believe those people look nuts, then you are not in the majority. If responsible Canadian gun owners choose to attach themselves to how things go on in the USA and approach it in an NRA like fashion then they are most definitely going to be the minority and will lose.
You are exactly right. We are already an unloved minority in Canada. If we want to kill any support we can even hope to have from non gun owners, an armed protest is the surest way to do it. And then you will see a crackdown like you've never seen before.

It would be far better if we showed up as a broad spectrum of society, with people in their business suits, work coveralls, doctors nurses teachers....anybody who is a normal gun owner who lives a normal life. That is how we need to present ourselves because that is truly who we are, and the best way to relate to everyone who is not a gun owner is for them to see we are just like them.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-07-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
It would be far better if we showed up as a broad spectrum of society, with people in their business suits, work coveralls, doctors nurses teachers....anybody who is a normal gun owner who lives a normal life. That is how we need to present ourselves because that is truly who we are, and the best way to relate to everyone who is not a gun owner is for them to see we are just like them.
Now, we are getting somewhere. I'm that teacher who hunts, traps and owns guns. I do not support this ban. I do support some measures of firearm control. I support dealing with gun crime more severely. I support mental health resources to reduce gun violence. etc etc etc etc I suspect that message and some actual discussion with, for example, coworkers, would go far further in gaining support from non gun owners than following the lead of America.

Even I, start rolling my eyes and thinking good grief, every time I hear a cynical response such as "let's bans cars now, or let's ban planes now". I can only imagine how a person sitting on the fence on the topic thinks, and I'd bet a lot of bucks that it isn't, "yeah, trucks and guns are the same, so he's right". Trust me, I talk to people who have been turned off of that argument, and for good reason.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:20 AM

Overnight, the RCMP removed all reference to 'grandfather regime' or option from their official web page. Apparently that option is now off the table. It is going to be comply and surrender for whatever they offer to pay you in the 'buyback' program (how I loathe that term. I didn't buy from them and they aren't for sale, so it is straight up confiscation).... Or be arrested, get a criminal record, and lose your property anyway.

I guess there is one other option, be we can't discuss that. And we are good polite compliant citizens anyway.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-10-2020, 09:27 AM

This is a classic negotiation move.

They know this all has to go through Parliament. And will be hotly debated. The catch is... They ask for way way way more than they want. Just so it feels like a win when the arguments drop the list down to 3/4 of its original size. Still a win for them either way.

I still can't believe that none of the pro firearm politicians, or news people have brought up the fact that this will cost billions of dollars to tax payers for what equates to a handful of deaths a year. An extremely high number of which are by illegally owned firearms which may have been smuggled in from the states.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Overnight, the RCMP removed all reference to 'grandfather regime' or option from their official web page. Apparently that option is now off the table.
Makes sense. The liberals didn't do the ban to be attacked politically on both sides. This is a wedge issue to peel votes from CPC. They aren't going to allow the NDP to use it as a wedge to peel votes from them.

They started changing their messaging to mitigate this criticism a while ago.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:53 PM

Default We don’t have a constitution in Canada for protection.

Quote:
This is part of the problem. How many people do you think support the ban because they equate Canadian hunters and sportsman, or gun owners with the same armed protesters across the border in the USA? If you do not believe those people look nuts, then you are not in the majority. If responsible Canadian gun owners choose to attach themselves to how things go on in the USA and approach it in an NRA like fashion then they are most definitely going to be the minority and will lose.
Yeh that’s right we don’t want to look like Americans or we’ll lose our firearms just like them.
Uh oh wait a minute.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:36 AM

Default zero trust

https://thegunblog.ca/2020/05/09/rcm...e-on-gun-bans/
Old 05-11-2020, 04:03 AM

If the libs stay in power you will have a lot more to worry about than guns. This country is screwed and most people seem ok or oblivious to it. All I can say is God help my grandchildren.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Yeh that’s right we don’t want to look like Americans or we’ll lose our firearms just like them.
Uh oh wait a minute.
It's worked out for them up until this point due to a 1791 legal document, not because the majority of Americans think that they look like real good guys when they're all waving their guns around, carrying on about that 1791 document. Roughly 70% of Americans support tougher gun laws, it'd be an even higher % of Canadians who look at their armed protests and think "sheesh". But, if you think their playbook is one you should follow, give er', just don't be surprised that it won't work here.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:21 AM

Basically, it means you can keep it in your safe, but not able to use it. The upside from the Liberals point of view is, they don't have to pay you for it.

Grizz
Old 05-11-2020, 08:36 AM

Default That 1791 legal document is better than what we have.

Quote:
It's worked out for them up until this point due to a 1791 legal document, not because the majority of Americans think that they look like real good guys when they're all waving their guns around, carrying on about that 1791 document. Roughly 70% of Americans support tougher gun laws, it'd be an even higher % of Canadians who look at their armed protests and think "sheesh". But, if you think their playbook is one you should follow, give er', just don't be surprised that it won't work here.
Yeh I’m not saying to go out and do an armed protest but an unarmed protest is withing legal bounds and would help get the message out.
I just love how you lump all American gun owners into one group of nut cases.
It’s a very VERY small portion of the gun owners in America that do these armed protests but I guess that’s all you see on the news so you believe they all do it.
In fact like Canada the greatest majority of gun owners in the old US of A are a diversified group of law abiding owners just like Canadians.
But go ahead and generalize if it makes you feel good.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Yeh I’m not saying to go out and do an armed protest but an unarmed protest is withing legal bounds and would help get the message out.
I just love how you lump all American gun owners into one group of nut cases.
It’s a very VERY small portion of the gun owners in America that do these armed protests but I guess that’s all you see on the news so you believe they all do it.
In fact like Canada the greatest majority of gun owners in the old US of A are a diversified group of law abiding owners just like Canadians.
But go ahead and generalize if it makes you feel good.
This is why it is easy to generalize. From January.
Quote:
RICHMOND, Va. — Tens of thousands of protesters — many decked out in full tactical gear and toting assault-style rifles, others brandishing colonial-era symbols of American liberty — flooded the downtown core of Virginia’s capital city Monday in a well-armed show of defiance and force against what they consider a Democratic attack on their right to bear arms.
Tens of thousands.....in a city in just one state. I do not believe that is a VERY small portion and nor do I believe that tactic will gain any public support here. I never said anything about unarmed protests and the message they may get out.

So, maybe I am generalizing a bit. I think it's safe to say we all do at times. But if I, a gun owner who thinks this new ban is not right, is lumping American gun owners, imagine how easy it is to lump them when you have no personal attachment to firearms. I do not think we want to take that path they are taking, I don't believe the culture of our country as a whole particularly likes it. I am out on this one.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:43 AM

Default You are your own people kind. I’ll just have to step over you.

Quote:

Tens of thousands.....in a city in just one state. I do not believe that is a VERY small portion and nor do I believe that tactic will gain any public support here. I never said anything about unarmed protests and the message they may get out.

So, maybe I am generalizing a bit. I think it's safe to say we all do at times. But if I, a gun owner who thinks this new ban is not right, is lumping American gun owners, imagine how easy it is to lump them when you have no personal attachment to firearms. I do not think we want to take that path they are taking, I don't believe the culture of our country as a whole particularly likes it. I am out on this one.
So we should take the path of least resistance and roll over and let them rub our belly and take our firearms with no resistance.
Gotcha.
So will it change the public’s mind about us if we just take it and say nothing?
No.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:42 AM

Default Facts where are they?

Quote:

How many of the 22,000 Richmond Virginia protesters were actually armed? I bet not all.
How many were actually from Richmond? I bet not near all.
How many were even from Virginia? I bet many were not.
How many shots fired? I bet none.
How many arrests? I bet very few.
Even though it was an armed protest, was it a peaceful protest? It sure was.
Where are all the crazies? In the media.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:50 AM

I agree it better for us present ourselves as a cross section of society of hunters, sport shooters and gun owners instead of marauding around with AR's at protests, wearing masks and shouting anti-government sentiments.

That kind of behavior scares average joe citizen and empowers the liberals. We need joe citizen's support.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:03 PM

Default You missed my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I agree it better for us present ourselves as a cross section of society of hunters, sport shooters and gun owners instead of marauding around with AR's at protests, wearing masks and shouting anti-government sentiments.

That kind of behavior scares average joe citizen and empowers the liberals. We need joe citizen's support.
Just so you know I am average Joe citizen, nothing special here.
Yes we shouldn’t be marauding around with AR’s at protests, that would be illegal in Canada. We are not the United States so we do not have that freedom of rights.
As for protesting and chanting anti government sentiments, yes I’m all for it. Freedom of speech should be for all not just Americans.
Why do you mention wearing masks? If there is a protest in the middle of a pandemic wouldn’t it be wise and responsible to wear a mask to protect yourself and others from Covid-19.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
To anyone who "sells" their gun to Trudeau

I hope you get mugged for that cash. And pistol whipped
x2
Old 05-11-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
And by not having the enshrined rights that are south of the border, how do we proceed/oppose this OIC?
Old 05-11-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
And by not having the enshrined rights that are south of the border, how do we proceed/oppose this OIC?
Your question assumes there is a possibility of going on the offensive. But a desperately fought rearguard action to cover a general retreat is all that can be done. Think Napoleon in Moscow 1812. The city burns.