Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-28-2016, 12:08 PM

Default Trapline Problems

Gordy C has written good article in this months AO on the new trapping changes by the Bio's. He gave two good examples where trap line transfers will not work. One where daughter has been on trap line owned by dad for 40 years and she may not get the line. The second by native fellow that will have problem getting/retaining a line.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:48 PM

Or you could be like a member on this forum who just tried to buy a line and they said sure but they wanted to cut it in half and tell him to remove the old cabin on the half he won't be owning.......
Old 08-29-2016, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Or you could be like a member on this forum who just tried to buy a line and they said sure but they wanted to cut it in half and tell him to remove the old cabin on the half he won't be owning.......
Sounds like they don't want him to have the trapline for some reason.

As far as the article I sure do like AO Magazine and this issue has some great articles, but looking on this Forum there is more information here in various threads than what was printed in the article.

The article is a waste of paper as far as I can see and really says nothing.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:49 PM
Banned

What was the reason that the two individuals wouldn't be able to get a trap line......because they can't afford or don't have the time to attend all of the courses for points? If they have the experience and the traps that's the only reason that I can think of.

40 years of trapping experience......check
Loads of traps and equipment......check
No time or money to attend courses......sorry, you don't qualify, Ma'am!
Old 08-29-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What was the reason that the two individuals wouldn't be able to get a trap line......because they can't afford or don't have the time to attend all of the courses for points? If they have the experience and the traps that's the only reason that I can think of.

40 years of trapping experience......check
Loads of traps and equipment......check
No time or money to attend courses......sorry, you don't qualify, Ma'am!
Except courses are not a requirement yet... Keep trolling Dave
Old 08-29-2016, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
Except courses are not a requirement yet... Keep trolling Dave
Just in case you didn't get the memo, the 2016 Interim Trapping Administration Agreement has been suspended:

http://www.albertatrappers.com/pdf/I...cement%202.pdf

So what is the reason given in the article that they will never be able to qualify for a trap line then?
Old 08-29-2016, 06:36 PM

I'm sure if the individual wants to tell all then he will. That's up to him.

And from my chat with my Bio it is not the most experienced person they say and if you have a line already you are loosing marks lol I told him I wanted another line and by the way he talked I think that dream won't happen.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Just in case you didn't get the memo, the 2016 Interim Trapping Administration Agreement has been suspended:

http://www.albertatrappers.com/pdf/I...cement%202.pdf

So what is the reason given in the article that they will never be able to qualify for a trap line then?
Omg no chit Dave why do you suppose i said the courses were not mandatory yet????? Actual ATA members were informed awhile back.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:22 AM
Banned

Hmmmmmmmm...... Hunting, Fishing, Trapping are all becoming harder for an average Albertan to participate in each year. Even harvesting Mushrooms have become more difficult due to govt regs in some areas.
It is amassing how intrusive our nanny state is becoming.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:03 AM

The main point of Gordys article is ATA President and Directors worked very hard for 8 years in meetings with GOA to come up with fair RFMA/Trapper policy. The Bios ignored all the hard work, then famous 8 Fur group drafted their own version without even consulting ATA. Hopefully they will now listen to ATA in upcoming meetings in September.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
The main point of Gordys article is ATA President and Directors worked very hard for 8 years in meetings with GOA to come up with fair RFMA/Trapper policy. The Bios ignored all the hard work, then famous 8 Fur group drafted their own version without even consulting ATA. Hopefully they will now listen to ATA in upcoming meetings in September.
lol 8 years to work something out? They either didn't work all that hard or were on completely different ends of the spectrum of what changes to make to not get things done. How do you meet for 8 years and not get things done? I think I need to read this article. Anyone got any names who is in the Fur Group? That might be interesting as well.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:51 PM

Like a wise man once said..."Are you busy, or are you productive?" Sounds like a lot of busy people in both the ATA and GOA in the past.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
lol 8 years to work something out? They either didn't work all that hard or were on completely different ends of the spectrum of what changes to make to not get things done. How do you meet for 8 years and not get things done? I think I need to read this article. Anyone got any names who is in the Fur Group? That might be interesting as well.
8 years ago the GOA was getting rid of the RFMA system, so yeah I'd say they worked a few things out. The Fur Group on our side is Anne Coles, Gordy Klassen, Rob Miskosky and Ross Hinter.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
8 years ago the GOA was getting rid of the RFMA system, so yeah I'd say they worked a few things out. The Fur Group on our side is Anne Coles, Gordy Klassen, Rob Miskosky and Ross Hinter.
Two of my neighbors have RFMA's and have had since I can remember. They said the losing the RFMA propaganda was started by Mr. Klassen when he was President but there was no proof other than heresay by him, and nothing of the sort ever happened.

How long have you had an RFMA?
Old 08-30-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Well that is the first I have heard any trapline RFMA's were under fire in the past.
And now seeing some of the names involved in the Fur group things are a little more clear as well. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkfatrules View Post
Two of my neighbors have RFMA's and have had since I can remember. They said the losing the RFMA propaganda was started by Mr. Klassen when he was President but there was no proof other than heresay by him, and nothing of the sort ever happened.

How long have you had an RFMA?
I don't know you nor your neighbors. I DO KNOW Mr. Klassen and some of the directors involved in the negotiations. I believe them completely. You are free to believe whatever you want. I have no interest in arguing rumours to fulfill your agenda.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't know you nor your neighbors. I DO KNOW Mr. Klassen and some of the directors involved in the negotiations. I believe them completely. You are free to believe whatever you want. I have no interest in arguing rumours to fulfill your agenda.
I don't have an agenda. I don't have an RFMA. Just conveying some thoughts from some long time real trappers. The representatives that will meet this Governments Beaurocrats are an excellent choice except your hero. Everyone I have talked to said he should stay home.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Everyone I have talked to said he should stay home.
Gladly no one listened to you!
Old 08-30-2016, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke hunter View Post
Like a wise man once said..."Are you busy, or are you productive?" Sounds like a lot of busy people in both the ATA and GOA in the past.
Never confuse activity with productivity.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:45 PM

Thumbs down

Kind of pathatic how a human being can have so little self worth that they have to reinvent themselves over and over again and make inflammatory comments on forums trying to get someone, in fact anyone, to pay attention to them.

Is that fat I smell burning?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:53 PM

Nube you sure have a lot of opinions for a guy who just started out in the game. I appreciate your energy and sharing but you're pretty quick to make sweeping statements about things you have no history, or facts on.

Your insult to the folks of the ATA who fought for this industry for a decade, in good faith with a government who spoke with forked tongues, is unfair. I saw my share of the government BS during that period, have been on first name basis with a series of Wildlife ministers, who also lied to my face.

But i guess if you had been in charge you'd have got the job done? How about stepping up and helping out and showing us trapper's how it's done. Or is it just a whole lot easier to slag the people actually doing the work?
Old 08-30-2016, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
The enclosed article clearly states that the requirement to produce fur receipts and the requirement to "maintain" upgraded trapper training was discussed and documented a while back. The Bios didn't make that up. It is what it is.

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...ts-mar-10.html
Old 08-31-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
The enclosed article clearly states that the requirement to produce fur receipts and the requirement to "maintain" upgraded trapper training was discussed and documented a while back. The Bios didn't make that up. It is what it is.

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...ts-mar-10.html
Oh the horror!! Trappers required to maintain or upgrade training!! Probably a good idea, to many wanna be types who never took a course wandering around with some snares in their hand thinking they are trappers, learning is never a bad thing.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Kind of pathatic how a human being can have so little self worth that they have to reinvent themselves over and over again and make inflammatory comments on forums trying to get someone, in fact anyone, to pay attention to them.

Is that fat I smell burning?
If you are referring to me, you are out to lunch. PM coming!!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
If you are referring to me, you are out to lunch. PM coming!!
I believe it was me and already sent a PM to him.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:51 AM

Just an interesting observation that the entire hired staff at the ATA has resigned in the past 6 months. ALL of them! (the amazingly helpful admins, the manager, even the new executive director) It would indicate that there are issues with those running the ATA.....
Old 08-31-2016, 09:16 AM

Guys this is not the time to be arguing over the small stuff. Lets pull together and come with a strong voice to the GOA. If not they will ram the Bio Fur Group policy down our throats. Respect the hard work previous ATA Presidents and Directors have done for us, after all they are volunteers, that spent their own money to travel around the province representing our concerns.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Guys this is not the time to be arguing over the small stuff. Lets pull together and come with a strong voice to the GOA. If not they will ram the Bio Fur Group policy down our throats. Respect the hard work previous ATA Presidents and Directors have done for us, after all they are volunteers, that spent their own money to travel around the province representing our concerns.
You call the entire staff of an organization resigning "small stuff"?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke hunter View Post
You call the entire staff of an organization resigning "small stuff"?
More a case of the staff were underemployed. When they were asked to step up and produce as the ATA needs from their limited funds they chose to resign,
Old 08-31-2016, 09:38 AM

Uke, no that is not small stuff if true, however we still need to move forward with strongest voice even under the circumstances.