Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-07-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Not an ounce of reality in your post, friend.

The Sheriffs assumed zero RCMP roles. They augmentent a few limited ones and took roles inside some ALERT teams. Less than 100 people are in thoae roles today. None replacements.

And your backup statement about the airports is pure BS. Whomever told you that has a very stinky shovel.

Read my above post.
I see lots of Alberta Sheriffs patrolling Highways 1 & 2 - when it used to be all RCMP. It used to be the RCMP doing all the functions listed below.

From the provincial Alberta Sheriff website:

There are 4 main types of sheriffs in the province:
law courts / legislature – transport inmates and ensure the safety of those in and around courthouses and the legislature
communications – monitor surveillance equipment and inform response agencies about emergencies
surveillance – gather evidence of criminal activity and investigate property-related complaints
traffic – enforce traffic safety laws and investigate collisions
Old 05-07-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Not an ounce of reality in your post, friend.

The Sheriffs assumed zero RCMP roles. They augmentent a few limited ones and took roles inside some ALERT teams. Less than 100 people are in thoae roles today. None replacements.

And your backup statement about the airports is pure BS. Whomever told you that has a very stinky shovel.

Read my above post.
Kenney Tweet:

@jkenney
I visited @FlyEIA Intl Arrivals to monitor #COVID19 screening measures.

I am very concerned about reports from travellers on inadequate federal screening protocols for international travellers.

I have directed provincial officials to deploy provincial resources to AB airports
Old 05-07-2020, 04:42 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Kenney Tweet:

@jkenney

I am very concerned about reports from travellers on inadequate federal screening protocols for international travellers.

I have directed provincial officials to deploy provincial resources to AB airports
meaning the border cops need help not the RCMP......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-07-2020, 04:53 PM

As many have stated - voting out/removing/replacing and or appointing your own forces does absolutely nothing. This is senseless, ignorant and frankly ridiculous.

The RCMP does not legislate the law. They don't make the laws. They enforce the laws that are legislated.

Vote out the legislators. That's the root cause. This petition is worthless.

I am a hard NO.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:34 PM

There is a big difference between the political elements of the RCMP (which are EXTREMELY SMALL for a federal force); and the boots on the ground.

The last ten years or so, the snowflakes have really been giving a ****-kicking to the culture of the RCMP; but it is still, bar none, the single most professional, and best trained, police force on the planet.

I understand what motivates these measures that would serve to disconnect Alberta from the confederation. I get it.

But you blew your wad (or allowed it to be blown) like it was going out of style during successive booms, and now Alberta is fvcked economically. Developing a provincial force from scratch is just a non-starter.

The county sheriff thing would have more success. Grass roots. Why not?

FTR: in comparison to the RCMP, Alberta's "peace officers" are toddlers who lack training, ambition, or basic sense. If you have any experience in or with law enforcement...it would be like going around to the friggin' malls and recruiting THEIR guys. They're a joke.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backfield View Post
There is a big difference between the political elements of the RCMP (which are EXTREMELY SMALL for a federal force); and the boots on the ground.

The last ten years or so, the snowflakes have really been giving a ****-kicking to the culture of the RCMP; but it is still, bar none, the single most professional, and best trained, police force on the planet.

I understand what motivates these measures that would serve to disconnect Alberta from the confederation. I get it.

But you blew your wad (or allowed it to be blown) like it was going out of style during successive booms, and now Alberta is fvcked economically. Developing a provincial force from scratch is just a non-starter.

The county sheriff thing would have more success. Grass roots. Why not?

FTR: in comparison to the RCMP, Alberta's "peace officers" are toddlers who lack training, ambition, or basic sense. If you have any experience in or with law enforcement...it would be like going around to the friggin' malls and recruiting THEIR guys. They're a joke.
Exactly how do you know how well trained and professional every single police force on the planet is? Have you worked with every police force on the planet? Have you trained with every police force on the planet? Go on, tell us how you know so much about every single police force on the planet, that you posted such a claim.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:07 PM

The Sheriffs are not answer right now. You want a provincial, you have to start with the larger municipalities getting their own forces. First off would be Fort McMurray, GP, and Red Deer. Then place like Peace River, Canmore, Strathmore etc... really any town with a population over 10000. The towns around Edmonton and Calgary would be policed by EPS and CPS; similar to a Peel Regional set-up. Once that is establish then the province could potential have it's own force to police the rural areas. There would still a significant RCMP presence in Alberta just as there is in Quebec and Ontario, but they would be federal units focus on organized crime, drugs, and national security. The reserves would most likely remain under RCMP jurisdiction unless they had their own force.

Actually every year EPS submit a proposal to Sherwood Park, Leduc and St. Albert to take over policing. Every year it is rejected based on what the increased cost would be. Policing is really budgeted on the cost of "1 police unit"

RCMP Unit

1 car
1 salary
1 vacation time
1 anticipated sick/family leave
1 equipment
1 training

EPS Unit

1 car
2 salaries
2 vacation times
2 anticipated sick/family leave
2 equipment
2 training

The RCMP are such a highly subsidized and cheap option it is very difficult for any city/town council to convince their residence to pay more.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
The Sheriffs are not answer right now. You want a provincial, you have to start with the larger municipalities getting their own forces. First off would be Fort McMurray, GP, and Red Deer. Then place like Peace River, Canmore, Strathmore etc... really any town with a population over 10000. The towns around Edmonton and Calgary would be policed by EPS and CPS; similar to a Peel Regional set-up. Once that is establish then the province could potential have it's own force to police the rural areas. There would still a significant RCMP presence in Alberta just as there is in Quebec and Ontario, but they would be federal units focus on organized crime, drugs, and national security. The reserves would most likely remain under RCMP jurisdiction unless they had their own force.

Actually every year EPS submit a proposal to Sherwood Park, Leduc and St. Albert to take over policing. Every year it is rejected based on what the increased cost would be. Policing is really budgeted on the cost of "1 police unit"

RCMP Unit

1 car
1 salary
1 vacation time
1 anticipated sick/family leave
1 equipment
1 training

EPS Unit

1 car
2 salaries
2 vacation times
2 anticipated sick/family leave
2 equipment
2 training

The RCMP are such a highly subsidized and cheap option it is very difficult for any city/town council to convince their residence to pay more.
So the cities/towns keep the RCMP, because they are the cheapest option. It sounds like we are talking about substandard Chinese products.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So the cities/towns keep the RCMP, because they are the cheapest option. It sounds like we are talking about substandard Chinese products.
Cost would be 1 consideration for sure.

I know this won't be a popular link, but it says nationally there is no higher satisfaction or confidence with having a municipal force as opposed to the RCMP.

http://angusreid.org/confidence-in-j...system-police/

fire away.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:29 PM

Doubt it would happen but it would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2020, 06:41 AM

Default At Least

We would should all get a say in the matter unlike the latest OIC backstab.Isn't democracy wonderful?
Old 05-08-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
As many have stated - voting out/removing/replacing and or appointing your own forces does absolutely nothing. This is senseless, ignorant and frankly ridiculous.

The RCMP does not legislate the law. They don't make the laws. They enforce the laws that are legislated.

I am a hard NO.
Folks also gotta understand that these men and woman are people who enjoy doing thier job which is priority one to help people, ensure of our safety and that we can enjoy our neighbourhoods, communities etc without worry.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
You leave the Chinese out of this as they are busy working On another virus.....

And that's about as much meat this thread has.....

Old 05-08-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:

I am a hard NO.
Agreed. Total waste of time that won't accomplish a damn thing!
Old 05-08-2020, 08:59 AM

Signed and shared ++++

Would be good to have a provincial force instead of an Ottawa run one. Nothing against the frontline staff but I would REALLY rather have a provincial head and training - not the foreign/eastern one.

Local is always better.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:41 PM

If it makes anyone "feel better" we can vote or petition to add "alberta police" patches and sew them over top the RCMP patches ………. because effectively, that all you will get.

None of the laws, as federally legislated, will change - NONE.

And the same people who are qualified and experienced and already RCMP officers will probably get their same posts.

I guess we would have to repaint the cars too.

I have YET TO HEAR one single person outline what advantage this will provide to us, as it relates to federal firearms laws (or anything else for that matter under federal jurisdiction).

Maybe I'm wrong - I am open to hear, listen and learn and a fist pump and yee-haw isn't what I'm looking for ….. real facts …… I am all ears ….

I am sincerely open to listening ….. convince us this will make any significant difference to anything.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
If it makes anyone "feel better" we can vote or petition to add "alberta police" patches and sew them over top the RCMP patches ………. because effectively, that all you will get.

None of the laws, as federally legislated, will change - NONE.

And the same people who are qualified and experienced and already RCMP officers will probably get their same posts.

I guess we would have to repaint the cars too.

I have YET TO HEAR one single person outline what advantage this will provide to us, as it relates to federal firearms laws (or anything else for that matter under federal jurisdiction).

Maybe I'm wrong - I am open to hear, listen and learn and a fist pump and yee-haw isn't what I'm looking for ….. real facts …… I am all ears ….

I am sincerely open to listening ….. convince us this will make any significant difference to anything.
Well it could come down to like the USA has, many, many local and state level police, and governors have said, that if the federal government or there police come to my state and try to enforce a federal firearms law, they will be arrested, as that state does not recognize the law.
We as Albertans with the correct provincial government and provincial police force could then do the same. Tell the feds where to shove their law, and we will not enforce it within our provincial boarders. With the RCMP we cannot, as they get there marching orders from the Brass in Ottawa.
So there is that option if we had a government in power in Alberta with the balls to do it.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
With the RCMP we cannot, as they get there marching orders from the Brass in Ottawa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectio...inal_law_power
Old 05-08-2020, 04:23 PM

Couple of years back the politicos in ne Brunswick got themselves in a snit with the RCMP and created an NB provincial police force to replace the RCMP. Didn’t work out so well. 1980,s i think
Old 05-08-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:

I am a hard NO.
With a provincial force, the provincial government can order them not to set up road blocks outside of ranges, searching for banned firearms. They can also order them not to go house to house illegally seizing firearms during a flood. They still enforce federal laws, but you have more control over how they do that, than when they take their orders from Ottawa.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Exactly how do you know how well trained and professional every single police force on the planet is? Have you worked with every police force on the planet? Have you trained with every police force on the planet? Go on, tell us how you know so much about every single police force on the planet, that you posted such a claim.
Obviously it's an opinion. Not sure if trolling or hurt by the comments, but on the evidence I would stand by them.

The evidence is provided by the history, the length and rigours of the training program, and the number of police forces, worldwide, who exist because of, or who have been trained by, our RCMP. And then, of course, anecdotal evidence of the (almost) universal professionalism of the officers, at least on a singular basis when acting alone.

I've dealt with enough police services, from both sides, to be comfortable absorbing the questions and standing by my statements. Perhaps not globally, but then, I really don't trust the Dutch.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:55 PM

You guys need to take this for what it is, a bunch of people speaking through emotions and common sense is put aside. Exactly the same way Wexit works. Promote all kinds of change with absolutely no idea what that change costs or how to go about it or even its viability. Just hot air in the wind blowing all the common sense away
Old 05-10-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backfield View Post
Obviously it's an opinion. Not sure if trolling or hurt by the comments, but on the evidence I would stand by them.

The evidence is provided by the history, the length and rigours of the training program, and the number of police forces, worldwide, who exist because of, or who have been trained by, our RCMP. And then, of course, anecdotal evidence of the (almost) universal professionalism of the officers, at least on a singular basis when acting alone.

I've dealt with enough police services, from both sides, to be comfortable absorbing the questions and standing by my statements. Perhaps not globally, but then, I really don't trust the Dutch.
In other words , you have zero proof, and zero data, to back up your claim.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
With a provincial force, the provincial government can order them not to set up road blocks outside of ranges, searching for banned firearms. They can also order them not to go house to house illegally seizing firearms during a flood. They still enforce federal laws, but you have more control over how they do that, than when they take their orders from Ottawa.
In other words , you have zero proof, and zero data, to back up your claim.

Lol. All conjecture just like WEXIT...
Old 05-10-2020, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
They will just bring back the crew that smashed down doors in high river. Those guys where real heroes. 👎🏻
I'm amazed how people still judge a police force (you know...the guys who put their lives on the line last week during the QEII incident) by something that happened in 2013.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I'm amazed how people still judge a police force (you know...the guys who put their lives on the line last week during the QEII incident) by something that happened in 2013.
So you would have everyone just forget the illegal actions, and the fact that the force did nothing to hold those responsible ,accountable? By doing nothing to hold the offenders accountable, the force betrayed the citizens.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
I see lots of Alberta Sheriffs patrolling Highways 1 & 2 - when it used to be all RCMP. It used to be the RCMP doing all the functions listed below.

From the provincial Alberta Sheriff website:

There are 4 main types of sheriffs in the province:
law courts / legislature – transport inmates and ensure the safety of those in and around courthouses and the legislature
communications – monitor surveillance equipment and inform response agencies about emergencies
surveillance – gather evidence of criminal activity and investigate property-related complaints
traffic – enforce traffic safety laws and investigate collisions
I dont even know where to start. The RCMP didnt perform court snd prisoner tranpsot functions for decades, they never did the communications roles and the sheriffs AUGMENT surveillance in ALERT with so few positions (<25), not replace. And the RCMP still do traffic and with the sherriffs. You need to learn more beyond a brochure statement before you talk like you know.

Quote:
Kenney Tweet:

@jkenney

This tweet is where you got the RCMP arent manning international stations properly and we sent in reinforcements. Really.

Goodness sakes. RCMP are failing at doing the health care systems jobs now, at best CBSA should be involved. You'd snap if the RCMP demanded to swab ypur nose....

A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody.
-Thomas Paine
Old 05-13-2020, 04:59 PM

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Folks also gotta understand that these men and woman are people who enjoy doing thier job which is priority one to help people, ensure of our safety and that we can enjoy our neighbourhoods, communities etc without worry.
Well you must live in a better neighbourhood than I, your living an illusion of how you wish it was. You can support who you wish, but boots on the ground will show you a change is needed, and RCMP do not get a “buy” because they are merely doing what they are told. They are the law when it comes to running the Firearms law in this country and thats a problem. No police force should be making law.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Well you must live in a better neighbourhood than I, your living an illusion of how you wish it was. You can support who you wish, but boots on the ground will show you a change is needed, and RCMP do not get a “buy” because they are merely doing what they are told. They are the law when it comes to running the Firearms law in this country and thats a problem. No police force should be making law.

Police forces do not make any laws, legislators do.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
So you would have everyone just forget the illegal actions, and the fact that the force did nothing to hold those responsible ,accountable? By doing nothing to hold the offenders accountable, the force betrayed the citizens.
100% agree.

We hear continually about straw purchasers but how often are dirty cops not filing the paperwork and filtering firearms to criminals. Equal? More common?

Most police are exemplary. However, police corruption is real but rarely investigated. One of the moral hazards of being a police officer is that you spend a lot of time with criminals.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...says-1.2646928

In general, we should praise the work police do but they need to be held more accountable and not sanctified.