Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 10:02 PM

Well at least were not getting swamped like last game.
Will take an ugly shorty any day.
GFG!!
Old 08-14-2020, 10:16 PM

Gaudreau and Monaghan invisible again tonight.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:32 PM

I find the game a little boring tonight ..... like it is missing a pain in the ass!
Old 08-14-2020, 10:36 PM

I may have spoke to soon, we have NO pressure in their end. Our top line is horrible, Brad needs to start shopping and moving a couple of them. We have secondary scoring and if we had something like Van where the scorers actually score, well wouldn't that be something.
The Stars are shooting more, hope we can hold on.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:43 PM

There is a certain point where as a coach, you need to sit your 'top line' when they are consistently doing nothing. Send them a message. Don't give them ice time. Run Lucic Dube and Bennet hard. It's a bit difficult with Tkachuk out right now though....but he has to do something and light a fire under them. Maybe sit Johnny and move Backlund up for a while.

Something. If they don't start contributing, it's going to be hard to win series.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-14-2020, 10:44 PM

This is why Talbot needs to start every game.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
So with expansion draft upcoming who do we protect?? Random question for commercials haha
Guess I should be clearer, for goalie who do we protect.
I'll give you the whole kaboodal....

-The 1st line winger we get in return for Johnny;
-Monahan;
-Lindholm;
-Tkachuk;
-Mangiapane;
-Bennet; and,
-Dube.

-Hanafin;
-Anderson; and,
-Gustafsson.

-Talbot.

I've obviously assumed that Lucic was willing to waive his NMC for the expansion draft to get out of Edmonton. The big omissions are Gio and Backlund.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:17 PM

I think you are right, except Gio get protected.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-14-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
Dallas in Five!!!!
Ok, I'll take that bet. I say they don't take it in five. How's $100 sound?

Good win for Flames, Talbot gets the win. He had a fantastic game.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I think you are right, except Gio get protected.
They might, a respect, you're our Captain, kinda thing. From a business perspective, he'll be 38 year old, have $7M cap hit, with one year remaining on his contract, likely not super appealing to Seattle and the Flames will likely have just signed Brodie/Hamonic/Gustafsson to a long term contract, likely not to just leave them exposed. The one year left thing could go either way though.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

-The 1st line winger we get for Johnny
Not to sound harsh, but what makes you think other teams will give up a 1st line winger for a regular season puck dangler with no heart for intense meaningful games?
The reality is, the longer and deeper you get into the playoffs, and he still doesn’t perform, the less attractive he looks to other clubs.
He needs to do something and soon to keep any kind of value.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:

-Monahan;
-Lindholm;
-Tkachuk;
-Mangiapane;
-Bennet; and,
-Dube.

-Hanafin;
-Anderson; and,
-Gustafsson.

-Talbot.

I've obviously assumed that Lucic was willing to waive his NMC for the expansion draft to get out of Edmonton. The big omissions are Gio and Backlund.
I like the list, I would leave Gio as well as with his age think he would be safe. Backlund yikes I do like him and fingers crossed he sticks. I'm with you on Johnny moving along. Ugh so tired of no production in the playoffs. When we need him most, it's annoying.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
They might, a respect, you're our Captain, kinda thing. From a business perspective, he'll be 38 year old, have $7M cap hit, with one year remaining on his contract, likely not super appealing to Seattle and the Flames will likely have just signed Brodie/Hamonic/Gustafsson to a long term contract, likely not to just leave them exposed. The one year left thing could go either way though.
Yeah, it's all true. I'm kinda sentimental, from a business perspective it does make sense to let him dangle....and I really hope Seattle takes Johnny. He just isn't doing it.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:32 PM

Well, it's wasn't pretty, outworked, out shot, out attempted, and still not seeing alot from Johnny, Monahan, and Gio, but, I'll take it!

So nice to see Talbot's positional play vs the flopping, hectic hope and prayer from last year! Lots and lots of boring saves.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:35 PM

So noticed no Tkachuck in the building or I can only assume they would have showed him watching. Safe to say it's his head keeping him out as opposed to the spear to the junk.
Hope we see him back this playoffs, rested. Hope he comes back deadly.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
So noticed no Tkachuck in the building or I can only assume they would have showed him watching. Safe to say it's his head keeping him out as opposed to the spear to the junk.
Hope we see him back this playoffs, rested. Hope he comes back deadly.
Yeah, I don't think it was the spear, and I'm hoping it's a concussion protocol thing but he checks out ok and soon.....

Old 08-15-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:

-Monahan;
-Lindholm;
-Tkachuk;
-Mangiapane;
-Bennet; and,
-Dube.

-Hanafin;
-Anderson; and,
-Gustafsson.

-Talbot.

Actually I think the Flames will opt to do the nine players regardless of position. To much talent on defense to only protect 3 players.

And does Dube even need to be protected? Is he done with his entry level?

Who's the hurt kid d-man everyone is forgetting about... Valimaki?

I would pray Lucic waves his no trade clause, Johnny gets traded for a player worth protecting and Trev finds a legit #1 goalie for the 2021/22 season. I think the best Calgary can hope for is they lose Lucic if he waives or Bennett or Backlund if he doesn't. If I was Seattle I would take Backlund. He is a more consistent Nuge with a little meaner streak.

Big win, but still a boring game.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Not to sound harsh, but what makes you think other teams will give up a 1st line winger for a regular season puck dangler with no heart for intense meaningful games?
The reality is, the longer and deeper you get into the playoffs, and he still doesn’t perform, the less attractive he looks to other clubs.
He needs to do something and soon to keep any kind of value.
Not harsh at all. There are quite a few clubs, with GMs likely well aware of the position they are in, who know that it's sometimes better to disappoint at the dance than not be invited. Prime options are teams like Buffalo, 9 year post season drought, Edmonton (keep in mind I said like...), one playoff appearance in the last 14 years, New Jersey, last in the Metro, one playoff appearance since 11/12, Leafs, whole team doesn't show, so he'd fit right in, etc.

If Edmonton and Calgary swap players like Neal and Looch because they can "turn them around" with a new location, teammates, strong leadership, system, coach, or whatever they tell themselves is gonna do it, I'm sure it won't take much for someone to convince themselves they can "fix" Johnny, a 99 pt, 5x All Star signed to $6.7M for two more seasons.

And finally, I think it's definitely more pronounced and frustrating if you see a player like that on a team you cheer for and fans put more emphasis on it than others. Lets be honest, Johnny has 4 pts, same as Nylander, Hall, Barkov, Marchand, Kessel, Marner, and more than Karlsson, O'Reilly, Landeskog, Pavelski, Pastrnak, Stastny, Kuznetsov, Benn, Ovechkin, Giroux, etc. I know points aren't everything, and maybe advanced stats shed light on this, but I don't think fans are pounding on the doors of their respective clubs demanding those players above be traded.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Not harsh at all. There are quite a few clubs, with GMs likely well aware of the position they are in, who know that it's sometimes better to disappoint at the dance than not be invited. Prime options are teams like Buffalo, 9 year post season drought, Edmonton (keep in mind I said like...), one playoff appearance in the last 14 years, New Jersey, last in the Metro, one playoff appearance since 11/12, Leafs, whole team doesn't show, so he'd fit right in, etc.

If Edmonton and Calgary swap players like Neal and Looch because they can "turn them around" with a new location, teammates, strong leadership, system, coach, or whatever they tell themselves is gonna do it, I'm sure it won't take much for someone to convince themselves they can "fix" Johnny, a 99 pt, 5x All Star signed to $6.7M for two more seasons.

And finally, I think it's definitely more pronounced and frustrating if you see a player like that on a team you cheer for and fans put more emphasis on it than others. Lets be honest, Johnny has 4 pts, same as Nylander, Hall, Barkov, Marchand, Kessel, Marner, and more than Karlsson, O'Reilly, Landeskog, Pavelski, Pastrnak, Stastny, Kuznetsov, Benn, Ovechkin, Giroux, etc. I know points aren't everything, and maybe advanced stats shed light on this, but I don't think fans are pounding on the doors of their respective clubs demanding those players above be traded.
Yes you may be right. The best scenario is Johnny somehow turns it on.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Actually I think the Flames will opt to do the nine players regardless of position. To much talent on defense to only protect 3 players.
Maybe, depends on who signs for how long. Going into the off season, they've got Gio, Hanafin, and Anderson signed. Hamonic, Brodie, and Gustafsson are all UFAs.

Quote:
And does Dube even need to be protected? Is he done with his entry level?
Dube is a RFA at the end of 20/21. Regardless, my understanding is that players in their ELC can be selected.

Quote:
Who's the hurt kid d-man everyone is forgetting about... Valimaki?
Valimaki isn't eligible as he doesn't meet the games played requirements. Likely why he isn't playing now.

Quote:
I think the best Calgary can hope for is they lose Lucic if he waives or Bennett or Backlund if he doesn't. If I was Seattle I would take Backlund. He is a more consistent Nuge with a little meaner streak.
Agreed.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Well, it's wasn't pretty, outworked, out shot, out attempted, and still not seeing alot from Johnny, Monahan, and Gio, but, I'll take it!

So nice to see Talbot's positional play vs the flopping, hectic hope and prayer from last year! Lots and lots of boring saves.
Aaand that what I am saying....how can he play like that and then out of no where just fail miserably....he does both well....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-15-2020, 10:02 AM

Things just got easier should the boys go deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2020, 10:57 AM

Johnny no show will never be a playoff player. Regular season sure not so much finishing checks for fear of injury. Playoffs it’s all guns forward.

Will take the win. Good thing Dallas can’t hit the net.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Aaand that what I am saying....how can he play like that and then out of no where just fail miserably....he does both well....
Smith, was talking about Mr. Smith.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:58 PM

Default Flames

Wow. Sounds like Rask. The Bruins #1 goalie, has left the bubble for family reasons. That’s gotta hurt them.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:36 AM

No Tkachuck again today.. ugh
Also Bishop is not dressed, unfit to play.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2020, 11:55 AM

We,ll need a jump start today.Fishing with the same fly over and over has to stop!Mix up the top line or sit little Johnny.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:24 PM

Our Power Play is horrible. That said decent start, getting some good chances.

Old 08-16-2020, 01:24 PM

But has moved 2 goals haha. Monaham getting gritty to pass that to Johnny. Will take it

Old 08-16-2020, 01:28 PM

Johnnys ears must of been ringing this week.... sweet!

Last edited by Talking moose; 08-16-2020 at 01:42 PM.