Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Must be getting old Bob if you cant remember back when you knew everything lol
LOL, I maybe thought I knew everything but must admit with regard to fishing I had lots to learn. Picked up a few things over the last 50 years but still learning. Just a couple guys on here who feel compelled to comment on everything fishing........when on many things their comments reveal they know very little.

A lot of their false comments I ignore but when they are stating rules and regs that are incorrect I will comment. Ever since I have been on here there always seem to be a couple of relatively new members who try and answer every question on fishing.............usually sort of amusing but sometime a bit of a PIA.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Once again you do not have your facts straight, maybe instead of trying to state what the rules are you should maybe take the time to learn them first.
Those are quotes directly from the regulations. Please provide evidence to back up your claims, I am more then willing to admit I am wrong on this subject if you can prove it.

Counter to your beliefs I do not think I know it all. If/when I compete in these walleye tournaments I will be lucky to be middle of the pack since I haven't put in anywhere near the effort into walleye most of you guys have.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Those are quotes directly from the regulations. Please provide evidence to back up your claims, I am more then willing to admit I am wrong on this subject if you can prove it.

Counter to your beliefs I do not think I know it all. If/when I compete in these walleye tournaments I will be lucky to be middle of the pack since I haven't put in anywhere near the effort into walleye most of you guys have.
You have interpreted some of the rules, not quoted them which you have done throughout this entire thread. The fact that you do not know....what you do not know it is better for you to keep educating yourself.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
You have interpreted some of the rules, not quoted them which you have done throughout this entire thread. The fact that you do not know....what you do not know it is better for you to keep educating yourself.
I commented on one law. That being that fish in a livewell are considered retained. I provided quotes to back it up.

If that is what you disagree with then here is a link to the regs and I would recommend you read the 2nd sentence in this section.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fis...easinglivefish

I also clarified that I know these tournaments get allowances for this. Proof here.

https://mywildalberta.ca/buy-licence...vents-2011.pdf

Quote:
24. Participants shall not bring, in total on any day, more fish to the weigh-in than is allowed for that species in the Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations for that water body unless specified in Schedule "A", which are the conditions attached to the Competitive Fishing Event License.
Like I said feel free to post proof backing up your unsubstantiated claims. I know it doesn't exist and based on your reply so do you...
Old 06-15-2018, 12:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
I commented on one law. That being that fish in a livewell are considered retained. I provided quotes to back it up.

If that is what you disagree with then here is a link to the regs and I would recommend you read the 2nd sentence in this section.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fis...easinglivefish

I also clarified that I know these tournaments get allowances for this. Proof here.

https://mywildalberta.ca/buy-licence...vents-2011.pdf

Like I said feel free to post proof backing up your unsubstantiated claims. I know it doesn't exist and based on your reply so do you...
You are finding the rules........comprehension is not your friend. You once again have jumped into a topic you know virtually nothing about but feel you have to try and educate everyone on it. Just let it go.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Once again you do not have your facts straight, maybe instead of trying to state what the rules are you should maybe take the time to learn them first.
Amen to that.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I heard possibly the tournaments are going to total length instead of total weight? Don’t need to get into a debate. Just curious, want to enter. Don’t have a livewell.
To get back on topic I'd point out that there are aerator kits available to convert a sturdy cooler into a live well. There has been more than a few small tillers entered into tournaments along the walleye trail and the occasional "big boat" with equipment malfunctions that forced them to go this route.
60 mph boats with $10,000.oo in electronics can be intimidating but they're most useful in helping to get familiar with new water in a hurry. If you have a game plan made on waters you regularly fish there should be no reason why you can't compete. Except not having a reliable partner.

The stops on the WCWT are expensive to enter as noted. The tournaments on the SAWT trail or the CWT events are less expensive. The one constant is the fun.

Tournaments are a way to take a lifetime of knowledge and experience and try to turn it into a little cash reward for your hard work. Unless you are sponsored out the ears like some of the bass guys on T.V. (good luck with that) or are the best-dammed-fisherman in the world (and more luck) you will never recover your expenses. But it is darn good fun trying.

Seems to me that the winning team at the 2017 Angler's Cup fished no more than a kilometer from the launch point and less than five to the weight boat.

Free

Last edited by Freedom55; 06-15-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:02 PM

in most tourneys the locals do well , because they know the lake or res the best. the reason to going to photos in the sawt tourneys is southern Alberta will be catch and release next year.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
To get back on topic I'd point out that there are aerator kits available to convert a sturdy cooler into a live well. There has been more than a few small tillers entered into tournaments along the walleye trail and the occasional "big boat" with equipment malfunctions that forced them to go this route.
60 mph boats with $10,000.oo in electronics can be intimidating but they're most useful in helping to get familiar with new water in a hurry. If you have a game plan made on waters you regularly fish there should be no reason why you can't compete. Except not having a reliable partner.

The stops on the WCWT are expensive to enter as noted. The tournaments on the SAWT trail or the CWT events are less expensive. The one constant is the fun.

Tournaments are a way to take a lifetime of knowledge and experience and try to turn it into a little cash reward for your hard work. Unless you are sponsored out the ears like some of the bass guys on T.V. (good luck with that) or are the best-dammed-fisherman in the world (and more luck) you will never recover your expenses. But it is darn good fun trying.

Seems to me that the winning team at the 2017 Angler's Cup fished no more than a kilometer from the launch point and less than five to the weight boat.

Free
How’s day 1 this year? Watching the boats and fishing for myself. Visibility is 4”.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
in most tourneys the locals do well , because they know the lake or res the best. the reason to going to photos in the sawt tourneys is southern Alberta will be catch and release next year.
It will be interesting to see if thay happens. They dont let us hold tournaments on c&r lakes and if you read the competitive event details one of the requirements is that you can keep fish at the lake. Pinehurst derby is already pushing the limits in this regards being a tag lake.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
It will be interesting to see if thay happens. They dont let us hold tournaments on c&r lakes and if you read the competitive event details one of the requirements is that you can keep fish at the lake. Pinehurst derby is already pushing the limits in this regards being a tag lake.
I heard from a very reliable resource that Pinehurst and Moose Lake are a no go for next year under the current tournament format.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:56 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Pathetic is right but cheating can happen in any type of competition, and when the prize money gets in the 25K-50K, range it probably happens more.
Then ban the Russians

Cheaters are going to cheat at all aspects of competition just gotta stay on top of them but your right once the prizes increase the idiots appear.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-18-2018, 05:53 AM
Banned

I think it would be kind of fun watching a 2 man kayak in the middle of a 50 boat shot-gun start! Happy paddling. It would not be any fun watching a 50 kayak (all with tags) launch at Pinehurst in a paddle boat only tournament. Happy paddling.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

New a fella and his brother in the 90's who won a tournament in a 14 foot tin boat with a 9.9 outboard....local guys....was so funny to see them get a nice pay check for something they would do anyways....thier total set up would not have paid for the electronics in the other contestants boats.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-19-2018, 06:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
New a fella and his brother in the 90's who won a tournament in a 14 foot tin boat with a 9.9 outboard....local guys....was so funny to see them get a nice pay check for something they would do anyways....thier total set up would not have paid for the electronics in the other contestants boats.
Interesting story. Sounds like an urban legend with some sort of moral attached. Just a little fishy though.

Here's an authentic anecdote: A man I know took his tinner out for a three day cruise around Delaronde lake in SK. Local guy with a bait trapping license. He caught many fish, enjoyed the solitude and camped on the shore eating walleye. A week later there was a walleye tournament on the same lake with xx.x lbs. as winning weight. My friend decided he could catch that much fish flesh easily so he purchased a fast Nitro the following year and entered the contest. Didn't get a sniff! He retired from the competitive fishing business and went back to his minnows.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Interesting story. Sounds like an urban legend with some sort of moral attached. Just a little fishy though.

Here's an authentic anecdote: A man I know took his tinner out for a three day cruise around Delaronde lake in SK. Local guy with a bait trapping license. He caught many fish, enjoyed the solitude and camped on the shore eating walleye. A week later there was a walleye tournament on the same lake with xx.x lbs. as winning weight. My friend decided he could catch that much fish flesh easily so he purchased a fast Nitro the following year and entered the contest. Didn't get a sniff! He retired from the competitive fishing business and went back to his minnows.
Catching 100 fish in a day and placing high in a weight tournament are two totally different things.

Seen many a weekend angler humbled at these things. Hell I was one of them my first few tries.