Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2018, 06:53 PM

Default Marten river campground boat launch?

Have read all the threads on here about the boat launch situation and it don't sound like there is one here(marten river campground), there was no definite answer as to the best one around. We are headed up there July.4, hoping the floods clean up but where would we go to launch our boats. My buddy and i have 20' boats, any advise would be fantastic thanks.

Last edited by Coltye; 06-16-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltye View Post
Have read all the threads on here about the boat launch situation and it don't sound like there is one here(marten river campground), there was no definite answer as to the best one around. We are headed up there July.4, hoping the floods clean up but where would we go to launch our boats. My buddy and i have 20' boats, any advise would be fantastic thanks.
The nearest place you are going to get a 20 foot boat in is at the Slave Lake launch... and leaving them in the water off Martin River overnight is potentially going to cause you major problems. I would recommend using a different campground.

Much of Slave Lake is ruled by 12 foot tinners, despite what many gear heads will try and tell you. For Martin Beach and plenty of other areas that are a long ways from a decent launch, any boat that you cant drag completely out of the water when needed is going to come to a bad end.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:29 PM

Not a good idea as previously mentioned leaving any boat in the water or 1/4 of the way pulled up on shore at Marten River campground . This photo was from July 3 last year . Better off at one of the campgrounds on the south shore with a marina .
Walleye King
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60B32F06-E94D-4388-B605-D30A8FAADF6A.jpg (26.7 KB, 134 views)
Old 06-16-2018, 10:12 PM

Ok thanks guys good info was there last year at spruce point was awesome but booked up this year when we wanted to go, just cancelled and we now off to try Cold Lake provincial park.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye King View Post
Not a good idea as previously mentioned leaving any boat in the water or 1/4 of the way pulled up on shore at Marten River campground . This photo was from July 3 last year . Better off at one of the campgrounds on the south shore with a marina .
Walleye King
I have an 18 foot square canoe stern stashed on the shore near my home in Widewater. I had it stashed well above the water line by almost a boat length, upside down with a kicker and some other gear stored under the bow. The kicker would probably be almost 25 feet from where the water was. After last weeks big winds and heavy rain I went to check on it Thursday... and it was obvious that the outboard had been under water at some point. I was very lucky to not lose the freighter, still trying to get the bugs worked out of the kicker. There are very few places on this lake that I would leave my big boat out overnight.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-17-2018 at 12:39 PM.