Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-20-2011, 09:29 PM

Question 168 gn berger hunt vld for 7mm rem mag

Has anyone used this round suscessfully or unsuccessfuly? Are they good?
They are hard to find, so where are these bullets available?
Any suggestions for what is better for the 7mm?
I bought a sako 85 stainless synthetic. Any load suggestions?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 PM

I have been doing a lot of reloading over the last 2 years for the 7mm Rem Mag. I have tested mostly Retumbo and H1000, with the latter being the most consistent powder behind 168 VLD's. Betweeen 2950 and 3050 fps the best I could do, after trying everything!!! was > .75 MOA. Not bad but not great from a custom rifle. I have abandoned the VLD (but may try the 180s in my next barrel). A recent test with 162 A-Max shot a couple 3/8 MOA groups - that got my attention! I am now loaded up for some more serious testing with H1000 and 162 AMax and 162 SST. The 160 Accubond is also a great bullet and elk slayer, but expensive and lowest BC in this class of boolits.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Default 7mm loads

I have been loading for 7mm since 1971 started with IMR4350 to H4831, H870, H1000 then I discovered IMR7828 and ssc and nothing else matches it for accuracy and velocity in both of my 7mm's.Give it a try.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 AM

For my 7RM, I load the 168 VLD over 69 grains of RETUMBO powder in WW Super cases sparked by WLRM primers. Velocity is 2950-60 and groups 4 shots in 1.5" at 300 yds.

So far, I've killed moose, deer, kudu, gemsbok, hartebeest, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, zebra, baboon, springbok, warthog, eland, waterbuck..... IMHO, this bullet is very effective and is the only one I will be loading in the future.

I'm also loading the 130 Berger VLD in my 260 and have killed deer with it. Very happy with the results. Velocity is 2760-70 and accuracy is 4 shots slightly under 1" at 200 yds.

Bobby B.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
For my 7RM, I load the 168 VLD over 69 grains of RETUMBO powder in WW Super cases sparked by WLRM primers. Velocity is 2950-60 and groups 4 shots in 1.5" at 300 yds.

So far, I've killed moose, deer, kudu, gemsbok, hartebeest, blue wildebeest, black wildebeest, zebra, baboon, springbok, warthog, eland, waterbuck..... IMHO, this bullet is very effective and is the only one I will be loading in the future.

I'm also loading the 130 Berger VLD in my 260 and have killed deer with it. Very happy with the results. Velocity is 2760-70 and accuracy is 4 shots slightly under 1" at 200 yds.

Bobby B.
That is good news! I read that the bullet is designed to be used at 300+ yards. What does that mean to me? Most shots that I take are under that but with the new scopes and gear, further is a reality so that is why I chose it. 500 yards is just a good shot now, with rangefinders and bdc scopes
Old 06-21-2011, 07:31 PM

http://www.mysticprecision.com/wp/ Give Jerry a try, cheap, helpful, and quick service
Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Here we go again,
Berger is excellent long range bullet, but I...

" Don't want Berger in my Burger."

watch you tube below, make your own decision

go for leadless TSX, TTSX, GMX, E-Tip, GS Custom....

This year is first year that I will not have any meat animals shot with lead bullet in Elk camp.

What it will take to understand that any amount of heavy metal like lead is not part of healthy diet...???

Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY

Last edited by Andrzej; 06-21-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 PM

Some of the many animals I killed with the Berger were close and some were far, all were DEAD. Close or far doesn't make a difference, the Berger is effective at all ranges.

Bobby B.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:37 PM

I just purchased 10 boxes of HSM factory loaded 168 grain vld's. I got them at Corlane sports in Dawson Creek. I plan on using them in my Rocky Mountain Rifle that should be done in a few weeks. I hope they shoot good.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
I just purchased 10 boxes of HSM factory loaded 168 grain vld's. I got them at Corlane sports in Dawson Creek. I plan on using them in my Rocky Mountain Rifle that should be done in a few weeks. I hope they shoot good.
I have read about them, please let me know the results when you find out. How much did they cost you? Are they available any where in Alberta?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I have read about them, please let me know the results when you find out. How much did they cost you? Are they available any where in Alberta?
I think I paid around $50 per 20 round box. Give or take. I think they ship anywere in Alberta. I will let you know how they shoot when I try them. I was told they shot these factory loads from one of there RMR rifles and got 4.5" groups at 750 yards. If I can get them to group like that at 400 I will be happy as that is my limmit at big game.

Last edited by Running Bear; 06-22-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 AM

I have used them for large game at close range in the 7 Mag - not impressed at all. 7 well placed shots to take down an Eland! One triple shock would have done the trick but I was set up for long range Audad on that hunt and the Eland was an add on. At further ranges or slower velocities they are impressive. I would watch the size of game your shooting and be aware of the range/impact velocity. The barnes triple shocks have a much more forgiving impact velocity forgiveness range. However, the Berger can be superbly accurate - my first load I tried in my savage 6.5-284 with 130 gr VLDs shot 1.5 inches at 400 yards! The Barnes triple shocks tipped and regular can also be superbly accurate and are my go to bullet for most calibers. However, very few bullets have the ballistic coefficient of the Berger.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257STW View Post
I have used them for large game at close range in the 7 Mag - not impressed at all. 7 well placed shots to take down an Eland! One triple shock would have done the trick but I was set up for long range Audad on that hunt and the Eland was an add on. At further ranges or slower velocities they are impressive. I would watch the size of game your shooting and be aware of the range/impact velocity. The barnes triple shocks have a much more forgiving impact velocity forgiveness range. However, the Berger can be superbly accurate - my first load I tried in my savage 6.5-284 with 130 gr VLDs shot 1.5 inches at 400 yards! The Barnes triple shocks tipped and regular can also be superbly accurate and are my go to bullet for most calibers. However, very few bullets have the ballistic coefficient of the Berger.
I used the 130's and they were a hunting/ target bullet.made 3 small holes in a wt doe at 125 yds. scary! now I have the 168 hunting vld and I hope they are better
Old 06-22-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257STW View Post
I killed my eland on the run with one shot at around 100 yds. He was dead on his feet and skidded to a stop. You claim it took seven WELL PLACED shots? One triple shock would have done the job? How would you predict that?

Bobby B.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:44 PM

I have being using 168 VLD in my 7mm mag and I like them for long distance shooting/hunting. Shot some deer within 200 yards and all were dead but I was not happy with the performance. These are too fast for close distance but they are really good for the long range and I have killed coyotes with same 7mm to a max distance of 912 yards. Many coyotes between 400-600 yards with 168 VLD with Nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope.

4" inch groups at 660 yards and 9" groups at 880 yards. Can't ask better then that.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaree View Post
I have being using 168 VLD in my 7mm mag and I like them for long distance shooting/hunting. Shot some deer within 200 yards and all were dead but I was not happy with the performance. These are too fast for close distance but they are really good for the long range and I have killed coyotes with same 7mm to a max distance of 912 yards. Many coyotes between 400-600 yards with 168 VLD with Nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope.

4" inch groups at 660 yards and 9" groups at 880 yards. Can't ask better then that.

When you say all dead, what do you mean? I think that a short blood trail with a double lung shot is fine. but if you found them bedded and had to finish them it's not ok.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:16 PM

Default Bergers

Me and my hunting party(my two kids) have shot almost 20 animals with the 130gr Vld bullets out of a 270wby from 50 yards to 350 yards and ALL have been one shot kills. Not all shots were perfect some alittle far back but all animals died instantly. I would highly recomend these bullets to anyone. On another note I have seen some guns not like these bullets very much. If you can get them to shoot try them.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
When you say all dead, what do you mean? I think that a short blood trail with a double lung shot is fine. but if you found them bedded and had to finish them it's not ok.
Yes most of them short blood trails within 30 or less yards. But I didn't like the way it blows up on impact on short ranges.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaree View Post
Yes most of them short blood trails within 30 or less yards. But I didn't like the way it blows up on impact on short ranges.
I've yet to have a single VLD 'blow up' and I've killed both big and small animals at short range. So far, to date, I've killed close to 40 animals with the VLD. Most were killed with the 168 VLD out of my 7RM amd a couple with the 130 Vld out of my 260. The mule deer I shot with my 260 last season was no more than 30 yds away and the VLD definitely did not blow up. Buddies of mine have experienced the same results as I have. NONE have experienced the results some here have described.

Best thing to do is try these bullets for yourself so you can accurately separate fact from fiction.

Bobby B.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
I've yet to have a single VLD 'blow up' and I've killed both big and small animals at short range. So far, to date, I've killed close to 40 animals with the VLD. Most were killed with the 168 VLD out of my 7RM amd a couple with the 130 Vld out of my 260. The mule deer I shot with my 260 last season was no more than 30 yds away and the VLD definitely did not blow up. Buddies of mine have experienced the same results as I have. NONE have experienced the results some here have described.

Best thing to do is try these bullets for yourself so you can accurately separate fact from fiction.

Bobby B.
I only ask the question to find out what other people know. I just dont want to find out on a 200" deer Thank you for your comments. I Think that the majority of people have had good luck and I can confidently use them. Any problems and I will report back. It has been a few years since I have fired a shot at a big game animial with a rifle. Last time was a good mule deer at 350with my 30-06 ...He died like everything else. Kaboom! The great equlizer speaks. I shot a doe last year with my new 7 mil with the 130 vld with questionable results. I think that they were the hunting/target vld's.
I'm here to learn.
H2H
Old 12-01-2018, 09:15 PM

Default Revelations 7 years later.

It’s been 7 years and I was wondering if anyone has had any revelations? I’ve shot a bunch of game since with those Berger bullets. I did have one bullet fail to expand, I recovered it and it was just bent.
I’m also learning more about reloading them. Seating depths, powder choices etc.
Any one else have new experiences?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:24 PM

Moose and 2 deer all one shot kills. You do your part the bullets do there’s. Highly recommended.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:38 AM

I’ve also never had a Berger blow up. Or fail to expand. All hunting rounds taken into the field have had the tips checked to ensure the hollow point is not plugged. I shoot bergers in almost every gun I own. As far as the 7mm vld I have shot The classic hunter 168 gr 7 mm bullet out of my Cooper 280AI. Very easy to develop a load for. So if the vld is giving you consistency issues try the Berger seating depth test or try the 168 classic hunter or any of the bergers with the hybrid design.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:39 AM

I’ve also never had a Berger blow up. Or fail to expand. All hunting rounds taken into the field have had the tips checked to ensure the hollow point is not plugged. I shoot bergers in almost every gun I own. As far as the 7mm vld I have shot The classic hunter 168 gr 7 mm bullet out of my Cooper 280AI. Very easy to develop a load for. So if the vld is giving you consistency issues try the Berger seating depth test or try the 168 classic hunter or any of the bergers with the hybrid design.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
That is good news! I read that the bullet is designed to be used at 300+ yards. What does that mean to me? Most shots that I take are under that but with the new scopes and gear, further is a reality so that is why I chose it. 500 yards is just a good shot now, with rangefinders and bdc scopes
I’ve had really good results with the 168 vid over 300 and good results over 100 however my only problem with the bullet is at high velocities at close range (sub 100) the bullet just detonated which is fine but I had it fail miserably on a bull elk at 68 yards. Straight broadside, went in tight to the shoulder and exploded before it even reached the first lung, follow up shot at 300 in the same spot... DRT. Honestly if most of your hunting is sub 300 you should consider a different bullet, the VLD is fine imo but my gun shoots accubonds and partitions nearly as well and I trust both way more for a variety of shots within 500. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:14 PM

243 with 87gvld
30-06AI with 175gvld
300wm with 190vld
6.5x284 with 140gvld

I have killed deer, black bear , wolves and moose with the above cartridges vlds have been awsome some at distance some as close as 20yds
Not that I would recomend the 243 combo for moose but it did take one as it was all that we had and oppurtunity arised shot to the lungs at 70yds trotted 40yds and dropped was very impressed with that

I have since switched to 212g eld-x in the 300wm and 178geld-x in the 30-06AI
Not for any real reason just wanted to try them and liked the numbers on them
Old 12-03-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
I’ve had really good results with the 168 vid over 300 and good results over 100 however my only problem with the bullet is at high velocities at close range (sub 100) the bullet just detonated which is fine but I had it fail miserably on a bull elk at 68 yards. Straight broadside, went in tight to the shoulder and exploded before it even reached the first lung, follow up shot at 300 in the same spot... DRT. Honestly if most of your hunting is sub 300 you should consider a different bullet, the VLD is fine imo but my gun shoots accubonds and partitions nearly as well and I trust both way more for a variety of shots within 500. Just my 2 cents.
Interesting. 🤔 how fast are you pushing them?
What powders have you tried. I’m currently using reloader 22 and I’m going to try h 1000 to see which gives the best accuracy and extreme spread. Seating depth is very important with the vld’s.