Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 01:46 PM

LOL You're on a roll lately
Old 09-20-2017, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
LOL You're on a roll lately
It blows my mind that someone loses their life and the people worry about the guys feelings who did the killing... i wonder if they'd think the same if it was their family member being killed.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Banned

The families must be heart broken. My thoughts are with them.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
It blows my mind that someone loses their life and the people worry about the guys feelings who did the killing... i wonder if they'd think the same if it was their family member being killed.
So how is incarceration going to help anybody? Of course people care about the families (see my first post). It's beyond infuriating. I still don't what is accomplished by throwing the book at this guy. People are still gonna scope people. They roam amongst us on this site. It's incumbent on our community to educate this crap out of existence.
This has nothing to do with sympathy to the family. Everyone has that. Rips the heart out
Old 09-20-2017, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Why should it "blow your mind"? This does not sound like a drive by killing in the hood, or a drug deal that went bad. It does sound like a terrible mistake and an accidental killing. Two young hunters crossed paths in the bush and one foolishly and criminally mistook the other for a deer or moose. One family lost their son (and perhaps husband and father) and another family has to live with the fact that thier son killed someone by accident and may spend a large part of his young future in prison. Both families will need a lot of support and understanding. It "blows my mind" that a lot of members don't get that.
Out of curiousity, what do some of you "hang him high" members feel would be an aproppriate punishment for the fellow who pulled the trigger? I have my own idea's about what would be an apppriate punishment, but would love to hear what you thing the shooter deserves.
Unless a lot of the facts show that there was something going on that hasn't been reported, it would not surprise me to learn that the victims family forgives the shooter for his incredibly poor lapse in judgement. Most normal people would not wish to see a young mans future completly destroyed for for a brief (but deadly) lapse in judgement.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Banned

A human life was lost. My first thought isnt on the guy who killed someone. I didn't once think about the pain the guy who is still alive must be feeling.

Someone died from someones careless decision and a bunch of you are worried about the guy who's alive and what he must be going through.

Im not worried about what must happen or what the appropriate punishment should be as thats up to the judge. I just need to point out how ridiculous it is seeing people defend the guy who is still alive like his life is somehow the one we should feel sorry for.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Thats my point, we dont know if the hunter did actually shoot on purpose and at what, could have been a deer with the victim all camo'ed up behind and not visible, there is lots of possibilities that do not involve him breaking a law. All im saying is let the police do their job instead of heading for a rope,chair and a branch on social media.
All camo'd up doesn't happen in Saskatchewan during rifle season I don't think.

Sorry but theres no excuse for shooting someone. The nanosecond you squeeze the trigger is intent. What happens earlier to bring you to that point is just blatant stupidity.

Kid didn't trip or have a tree branch grab his trigger. He made a conscious decision to aim and fire at something he "perceived" to be prey. He made a major league mistake that responsible hunters learn early in their careers. MAKE SURE OF YOUR TARGET.

Punishable gross negligence. Being sorry and ruining your own life is not a steep enough penalty to pay. The other young man paid with his life.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Out of curiousity, what do some of you "hang him high" members feel would be an aproppriate punishment for the fellow who pulled the trigger? I have my own idea's about what would be an apppriate punishment, but would love to hear what you thing the shooter deserves.
Lifetime hunting ban for starters. Something in the area of 6 months in jail.
Financial compensation to the victims family garnished from future earnings.

Something similar to what one would/should receive for causing death by careless driving.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
The families must be heart broken. My thoughts are with them.
The victims mother lost her husband not that long ago to a drunk driver. I think hers must be especially broken.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
The dead fellow has no feelings so i guess there is nothing to have thoughts about, his family, obviously and a different story, but you never said that and you have no idea if his actions were reckless at this point. Maybe they were but thats not your call or mine, let the investigation unfold and we will see.
I have a bit of trouble with you saying "we have no idea if his actions were reckless." Pardon me? He took a shot at a human being he thought was an elk or a moose and we're to question whether what he did was reckless??
Old 09-20-2017, 10:07 PM

Weighing in here... IMHO my thoughts are definitely with the victim and not the shooter. Much bigger wrong and consequences on his family. And definitely wise to wait for the facts to come out, let's not get emotional and call for the pitchforks and torches while nearly no specifics are known.

As to whether a crime was committed or not, while I feel it must be a huge personal tragedy and probably bring life-changing guilt to the shooter, it was likely (details can probably nail this one) careless use of a firearm. Unless there were pretty unusual circumstances, he saw something, did not identify it properly and shot.

I don't think that deserves a book thrown at him (max sentence), nor does it make him a criminal in the common sense of the word, but if this happened, it is negligent homicide. Sad but true! But no way should the consequences be for life. Tough enough to make a person think REAL hard and long, but there should be an end in sight. Unless there was intent or malice there should definitely be a light at the end of the tunnel. IMHO and all that.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:50 AM

Even the woman who stopped for ducks on the highway in Quebec and caused a crash that killed two got 90 days in jail and a ten year driving ban. I wouldn't want to see this guy in possession of a firearm for a few years.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:43 AM

Default Define Accident

Incarceration, or otherwise punishing people who have made tragic mistakes, only spreads the tragedy and devistation to more people.
Who would benefit from any FURTHER punishment?

I do not believe there is any corillation to "drunk driving" and would suggest some posters may need to develop a little more empathy before they are truly perfect.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:05 AM

Don't mean to get off topic, but how many game animals of the wrong sex or species get shot or wounded if there are guys out there just shooting at movement in the bush. How bad would your attitude to identifying the correct animals and shot placement have to be to just fire at something moving in the bush? I just can't comprehend how this happens year after year.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
oh I see we dont know if it was reckless but you want everyone to feel sorry for the guy who killed someone. You dont know anything except that we should all feel bad for the guy who is still alive. You know nothing other then this guy feels terrible there for we should support him.

That's ridiculous.
You may very well think it's ridicules, but thats your assumption because there is nothing in my quote that states that. I dont even know that he feels horrible, once again your assumption, i may, or may not, think that, but did not say it in that quote. I also never said we should support him, i did say we should not condemn him until we have the information required to do so. So in under 50 words you made 3 assumptions that you have no facts or proof to validate, good work and welcome to the lynch mob. With a closed mind to this incident, your kind would not even be able to participate in a jury because you have him labeled already, Hartley fair at all.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I have a bit of trouble with you saying "we have no idea if his actions were reckless." Pardon me? He took a shot at a human being he thought was an elk or a moose and we're to question whether what he did was reckless??
You have no idea if he did that at all, he may have, or he may not have. Thats your assumption, show me a statement were he says that and i will happily say nothing more about this as this would be proof of his guilt. if you can't them maybe someone else should say nothing more about this. Get the information, not the rope.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
All camo'd up doesn't happen in Saskatchewan during rifle season I don't think.

Sorry but theres no excuse for shooting someone. The nanosecond you squeeze the trigger is intent. What happens earlier to bring you to that point is just blatant stupidity.

Kid didn't trip or have a tree branch grab his trigger. He made a conscious decision to aim and fire at something he "perceived" to be prey. He made a major league mistake that responsible hunters learn early in their careers. MAKE SURE OF YOUR TARGET.

Punishable gross negligence. Being sorry and ruining your own life is not a steep enough penalty to pay. The other young man paid with his life.
Lol, read your post, not a single point you can prove, its fine to make statements you can prove otherwise, well, just uneducated rhetoric, show the proof to validate you statements please.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillhuntin View Post
Incarceration, or otherwise punishing people who have made tragic mistakes, only spreads the tragedy and devistation to more people.
Who would benefit from any FURTHER punishment?

I do not believe there is any corillation to "drunk driving" and would suggest some posters may need to develop a little more empathy before they are truly perfect.
I don't want to agree or disagree with a 1st poster so all I will say is welcome to AO.
If I were allowed to comment on your post, I might mention that this thread is not about a drunk driving incident.
It does sound like you are saying that the shooter should not be punished or held accountable.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:31 AM

Would people's views change if the shooter and his friend were slob road hunters that were known to have questionable hunting ethics? Blaze orange is in effect and the shooter never did go and look at the aftermath, it was his friend that went and checked then came back to the truck with the unfortunate news? Everyone ok with him hunting next weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2017, 01:26 AM

Default Terrible.

Just makes a guy sick to his stomach. I wouldn't even think twice about pulling the trigger If I wasn't 100% sure Of what I was looking at.. just dont get it. Sad sad day.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:54 AM

While sitting and waiting for elk one morning, I watched one idiot drive down the trail, get out of his vehicle, load his rifle, walk up up the trail, and scope two of my hunting partners sitting in the brush along the field. They were wearing orange caps, and I wasn't, so the idiot never scoped me, because he didn't see me. Then he walked back to his vehicle and left. A person stupid enough to point a loaded firearm at other hunters, is only a trigger pull away from shooting another hunter,
Old 09-23-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceburg View Post
Would people's views change if the shooter and his friend were slob road hunters that were known to have questionable hunting ethics? Blaze orange is in effect and the shooter never did go and look at the aftermath, it was his friend that went and checked then came back to the truck with the unfortunate news? Everyone ok with him hunting next weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can we please stop with the hyperbole and hypotheticals? This has absolutely nothing to do with this situation. Furthermore nobody is championing anyone hunting next weekend.

My condolences to the victims family. I can't imagine how brutal this has been and will be.
I'm out
Old 09-23-2017, 08:31 AM

First piece of hunting gear I owned was a buck knife...second a set of binoculars.

If you hunt with a firearm you better own and use a set of binos.

LC
Old 09-23-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
First piece of hunting gear I owned was a buck knife...second a set of binoculars.

LC
Never mind a firearm, a bowhunter was recently wounded by another bowhunter, that mistook him for an animal. The story and pictures are circulating on Facebook.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
I think my first hunting gear was a slingshot made fro a tree branch. I'm glad they have not been made restricted yet.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
No if the gun is loaded or empty.

Don't point at anything that you don't intend to shoot

Know your target and BEYOND

3 of the simplest rules there are when it comes to gun safety!

BW
Slightly incorrect.
Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Even the woman who stopped for ducks on the highway in Quebec and caused a crash that killed two got 90 days in jail and a ten year driving ban. I wouldn't want to see this guy in possession of a firearm for a few years.
There are definitely parallels to operating a motor vehicle and handling a firearm. In both, the person is in control of a lethal weapon. The consequences of misuse of either could bring similar penalties, imo.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:53 AM

The young or maybe more correctly the inexperienced can have a blinding desire to succeed at bringing home the buck. Heck even after 30 years it still takes a bit of pressure off once there is some meat in the shed. Guidance is probably missing for the most part in these cases. Lucky are the folks who are part of a tradition of harvesting and being in the woods.
Stay safe.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Never mind a firearm, a bowhunter was recently wounded by another bowhunter, that mistook him for an animal. The story and pictures are circulating on Facebook.
You got to believe it, if it's on spacebook.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:26 PM
Banned

I did see that post. So yes its making its rounds.