Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 03:04 PM

Default Newbie question about distance

Ok, pumped for my son, 19 and drew a moose tag where Bow is allowed Sept 1 to Oct 31st. Then rifle till Nov 30th. Kid is practicing like a mad man with the compound bow and doing real good to 20 yrds. Time to stretch it out a bit Not even thinking about long distance shots but whats a good increment level? Go up by 5 yards to 25 next or jump right up to 10 yards farther?

From the threads and articles I have read, I'm guessing 30 to 35 yrds is about the max for a newbie to try a shot if he is hitting targets consistently at that range?(and if the best possible shot presents itself in the field) Or is that too far for a newbie archer? You all here have years of experience and I look forward to your opinions.

Thanks, he is new to archery and I just want him to do it right. So excited to be calling moose for him.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:16 PM

Personal max distance for bow shot for us is 30 yds. Just know shot will count at that distance and less room for error. If shooting consistently at 20 yds, try 25 and then 30. If still getting really good groups, you should feel pretty confident at these distances for hunting. If you're planning to hunt from a tree stand, practice those angle shots from above too. Don't forget to factor in the adrenalin that will be pumping thru your system when you see that first animal in your sights. That can make all kinds of practice go haywire!!
Old 08-14-2017, 03:27 PM
Banned

My rule of thumb is to practice at twice the distance you will want to hunt at. I was on holidays a couple of weeks ago and I practiced out to 80 yards. I'm shooting dessert plate groups at 60 yards, dinner plate at 80. Nothing to brag about. But at 40 yards I can shoot softball sized groups and they just keep getting smaller the closer in I get. I would prefer to shoot 30 or under but my confidence is up to shoot up tp 50 yards if I just couldn't get any closer, situational shot of course.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:35 PM

Something to keep in mind on moose. Never intentially put an arrow above the midline, too many new hunters aim high on moose because of the hump. 1/3-1/2 is perfect.

LC
Old 08-14-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Something to keep in mind on moose. Never intentially put an arrow above the midline, too many new hunters aim high on moose because of the hump. 1/3-1/2 is perfect.

LC
This is good advice. I never even thought of that.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:40 PM

Ethical kill. That's what he needs to remember. If he is only comfortable at 20 yards then he shouldn't be shooting at anything farther out than that. My personal max distance is 30-35 yards as well like arrow dog. I shoot out to 50-60 yards whenever I can to practice but feel most comfortable at 30-35 yards when coming up to an animal. I know at that yardage I will make an ethical kill shot.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:14 AM

As usual Steve Rinella puts it best, when your surprised you hit the mark, that's too far.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
As usual Steve Rinella puts it best, when your surprised you hit the mark, that's too far.
Couldn't agree more. Been having this conversation with a lot of people lately as this will be my first fall hunting with a bow as well. In the past I've said what ever distance I can hit a milk jug 100% of the time. With the bow I was planning on what ever distance I can shoot an acceptable group plan 1/2 that distance. Now I say it depends on the situation. I have a max perfect condition distance in mind. But key phrase there is all the conditions have to be perfect for me to take that shot. End of the day you have to make that call at that time in that scenario and its going to come down to are you 100% confident you are going to make the shot.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Banned

It depends on him and his confidence I arrowed my first moose at 15 yrs old at 60 yards. Now I wouldn't try it,
Old 08-15-2017, 05:14 PM

Thanks all. He has been with me when I have called moose rifle hunting and play calling when we don't have the tag. He knows the excitement. I'm trying to drill it in his head that as ready as you think you are, when mr moose comes grunting in, all bets off lol.

If he can hit 30 yrds comfortably before we head out, then that will be his max this year. If not, then I better sound real sexy

Fun part will be to try to coax Mr Bullwinkle into that range or closer with out getting busted. No tree stands, be stalk and spotting/calling. I called this guy out 2 yrs ago where the tag is. If he is still around, he be a nice bull this year.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attac...1&d=1502838751

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:01 PM

I'm new to archery as well and practice a lot at 20 because that's what my local indoor practice place is. Went out to Crown land last weekend with a buddy and set my pins at 20-30-40. I got confident at 20, then backed up to 30. I'm confident there, moved to 40...on target but not good enough personally for me to shoot an animal at that distance.

I know and am confident that if I get within 30, I'll likely take a shot, but I recognize that nerves and excitement are in play too.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:33 AM

Shoot broadheads for groups too. I can stack field points up on top of eachother but then the broadheads make my smile go away
Old 08-16-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Shoot broadheads for groups too. I can stack field points up on top of eachother but then the broadheads make my smile go away
Good advice but be careful as it can get expensive in a hurry. What I'm saying is, if your boy can stack hunting arrows with BHs you can wreck a pile of components in a hurry. I number all my arrows and shoot at individual bulls. You'll still be able to see how arrows are grouping by keeping track on paper and you won't be slicing off fletchings or driving BHs into the back of one another etc. If the bow, arrows and shooter are tuned are tuned they'll group.

When I started, practiced my butt off out to 40 yards. Had good groups and was ready. So I thought. Second night in a tree I had a buck at 12 yards and fell apart with the excitement. Took me two arrows at that distance! Not everyone is the same but food for thought. In the moment, especially you're first one as can be testified by losing your virginity. Things can go off the rails in a hurry.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Good advice but be careful as it can get expensive in a hurry. What I'm saying is, if your boy can stack hunting arrows with BHs you can wreck a pile of components in a hurry. I number all my arrows and shoot at individual bulls. You'll still be able to see how arrows are grouping by keeping track on paper and you won't be slicing off fletchings or driving BHs into the back of one another etc. If the bow, arrows and shooter are tuned are tuned they'll group.

When I started, practiced my butt off out to 40 yards. Had good groups and was ready. So I thought. Second night in a tree I had a buck at 12 yards and fell apart with the excitement. Took me two arrows at that distance! Not everyone is the same but food for thought. In the moment, especially you're first one as can be testified by losing your virginity. Things can go off the rails in a hurry.
Agreed I learned the hard way shooting groups at distance with broadheads. Told myself the odds at 60 were low I was wrong. One thing I'll do now is shoot a broadhead first then two or three field points go up check when I pull my broadhead I mark it with a small dowel or similar. Go back repeat with next arrow in the quiver. After 5 rounds you'll know how your broad heads group and how they compare to your field points
Old 08-16-2017, 02:49 PM

Easy. 4 inch circle traced in pencil, on the right spot on a 3D target. Your max distance is how far you can hit it with the first shot every time, using a broadhead tipped arrow, from any position, in any wind or light condition you would consider hunting in. No excuses, no second chances.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Easy. 4 inch circle traced in pencil, on the right spot on a 3D target. Your max distance is how far you can hit it with the first shot every time, using a broadhead tipped arrow, from any position, in any wind or light condition you would consider hunting in. No excuses, no second chances.
Agree

LC
Old 08-16-2017, 03:32 PM

Shoot every broadhead/arrow combination you have. I have a stack of dull blades that I use for this. I shoot every arrow (with broadheads) at 20 - 30 - 40 yards to be sure they all fly true. I have separate aiming points on my target for each round (3 arrows per round) for each arrow as shooting at the same spot will definitely cost you arrows if you're grouping like you should.

When arrows go into my quiver they all get fresh, sharp blades. I keep the rest with dull blades and shoot a little with them during the season as well. Makes sure that, in the course of 'dragging' my bow all over the country, all is well with my equipment. Great for confidence too.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:03 AM

I would jump to 30 and then to 40 and then 50.
I know some will disagree but I like to shoot longer distance 70-80 yards then a 40 yards shot seems like a chip shot.
You learn a lot about your shooting problems or imperfections at long range that would hardly be detectable at 20 or 30 yards.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:58 AM

Default chapmanmain

i agree with this last post...take it out further than you plan on hunting and then come back to where you're comfortable. i'm a rookie bow hunter too and my personal 'max' on a hunt would be 30m where i can consistently stick 3 arrows in a 4-5" group. so i spend half my range time trying to dial it in at 40 and 50. i finish my practice rounds with 4-5 groupings at my 30 distance to keep my confidence up.

i've seen a lot of posts and heard stories about guys shooting at 60 and 70 on a hunt but i've never actually seen a guy at the range shoot at just 50 with good enough groups to give me confidence he can do it at 60-70+.

even with today's bows/arrows i'm skeptical of most guys being able to make an ethical shot past 50 on a hunt. no bow is flat shooting at that range and there's far too many variables to worry about (accurate yardage, wind speed/direction, elevation change, animal movement, string-jump)...not to mention, in a hunting situation your nerves are the x-factor you cant practice for.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:18 PM

Default Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Sounds like good advice! It's easy to trick yourself when you hit the target consistently after a few arrows...but it's only the first one that counts
Old 09-05-2017, 09:41 PM

Default 70 yards on point.

I have the luxury of going to a farm to practice art range. Once the indoor archery centre maxes out my skills at 40 yards with 2 inch groupings. I ventured out and even added pins to my 5 pin sight. I have 20,30,40,50,60,70 and yes even 80 yards dialed in. I'm very confident in 70 yards.
Now guys will say you can't see anything through the sight and and you start to see rainbows. I say NO. I'm spot on and have good eyes. Again to each their own as long as you can make quality placed shots and you are confident and practiced. Go out and beat f luck filling your tags!!!
Old 09-06-2017, 06:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Personal max distance for bow shot for us is 30 yds. Just know shot will count at that distance and less room for error. If shooting consistently at 20 yds, try 25 and then 30. If still getting really good groups, you should feel pretty confident at these distances for hunting. If you're planning to hunt from a tree stand, practice those angle shots from above too. Don't forget to factor in the adrenalin that will be pumping thru your system when you see that first animal in your sights. That can make all kinds of practice go haywire!!
Exactly, my son, Robin Hood could place an arrow in the eye of a snake at 50 yards and then a 140 inch buck was standing broadside at 20 yards...first arrow went over top...noise from arrow behind the buck scared it in closer, second arrow at 10 yards ended his first archery buck hunt....yahoooo...
Shoot lots, myself 30 is my good to go limit, practice yardage estimating, that and knocking an arrow, drawing, picking a small area and releasing should all be second nature until then your just guessing and hoping...

Luv watching a guy bring up a rangefinder at a 15 yard critter....

Good luck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Well the kid has been doing great. Out to 40 yrds now, hitting good groups on the paper plate at that distance. Could be out on Sunday for a walk about if the weather don't get too hot. Bit early for the rut but it can't hurt to have a look see.

Got to check trail cam videos too. Exciting times for the newbie archer and his dad the moose caller
Old 09-08-2017, 12:24 PM

tell your son to have a few judo heads in his quiver and practice on ruff grouse with a licence and season open of course . also guess ranges and practice in the field well out scouting .
Old 09-08-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiecat View Post
I have the luxury of going to a farm to practice art range. Once the indoor archery centre maxes out my skills at 40 yards with 2 inch groupings. I ventured out and even added pins to my 5 pin sight. I have 20,30,40,50,60,70 and yes even 80 yards dialed in. I'm very confident in 70 yards.
Now guys will say you can't see anything through the sight and and you start to see rainbows. I say NO. I'm spot on and have good eyes. Again to each their own as long as you can make quality placed shots and you are confident and practiced. Go out and beat f luck filling your tags!!!
I've found that, for me, trying to use a light with my 7 pin sight starbursts the pins at last light. Might have something to do with wearing glasses but no light, no problem.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
I've found that, for me, trying to use a light with my 7 pin sight starbursts the pins at last light. Might have something to do with wearing glasses but no light, no problem.
I wear glasses and do not use a light, Spot Hogg fiber is pretty bright.

LC
Old 09-09-2017, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I wear glasses and do not use a light, Spot Hogg fiber is pretty bright.

LC
Ya I took it off asap so I'm not tempted to try and use it again
Old 09-12-2017, 11:02 PM

Default BH

Do mechanical BH shoot same as FP?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by element2012 View Post
Do mechanical BH shoot same as FP?
There isn't a yes or no answer. Bow tune has as much to do with arrow flight if not more than the choice of BH. Arrow spine, type and set up of the rest, and other factors also come into play.

In theory if everything is tuned and selected correctly for the bow yes they should be similar.

LC
Old 09-13-2017, 11:29 AM

Well the trail cam is catching some nice targets. The kid is practiced almost as much as time has allowed. There comes a time when a newbie gets in the woods and it will be this weekend. I'm not sure who is more excited, dad(caller) or son with bow in his hand. 2 moose, 2 pics each.

Current Attachments (141.4 KB)
jpg.gif Moose 1.jpg (40.6 KB) Remove
jpg.gif Moose 2.jpg (41.8 KB) Remove
jpg.gif Moose 3.jpg (29.9 KB) Remove
jpg.gif Moose 4.jpg (29.2 KB)

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:42 AM.