Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 01:19 PM

Default extreme dry conditions

Just wanted to put it out there as we are all preparing for our favourite time of year that it is EXTREMELY dry down here in south eastern Alberta where I'm from. Agricultural producers are extremely nervous about the fire hazard that that creates.

As someone that lives around and works with these guys I'm asking that we all be conscious of this and remember that when they say "foot access only" they aren't doing that to be a jerk or make your life miserable they are saying that to protect the land and the resource that they make their living with.

Most guys I talk to know that they can't stop anyone from accessing public land but if you could keep to the gravel roads and avoid trails, public or otherwise you would be helping greatly to alleviate some of their concerns. If you showed up with a fire extingusher in your truck or a fire broom or shovel or backpack pump you'd be doing everyone a service and make us all look good.

Those of us that don't farm or ranch get to go home, but these guys have to live with the reality of the burnt up grass, bales, fields, or in the worst case scenario a home.

Anyways, just felt I needed to share my 2 cents.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 AM

During a fire ban foot access can be denied on public lands.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1 View Post
During a fire ban foot access can be denied on public lands.
Right. But some guys don't ask permission and some guys don't listen when they have been told no. And I suppose those folks probably aren't the type that cares to bring along any fire fighting equipment along with them but it would still be nice if they did.