Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 01:38 PM

Default Bullet seating question

New to reloading this year and have a question about seating the bullet. I have a Lee seating die and at the moment am seating 270, 140 grn. Accubonds.Once I have my desired coal I have noticed that it can vary up to .008", not on every round but it does vary. Can I assume the difference is in the location of the ogive on the bullets or could it be my seating die?
Old 09-19-2017, 01:39 PM

The difference in COL to the tip of the bullet, is usually due to variances in the bullet tips.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 PM

Proper neck tension is also important when seating the bullet. I have seen differences in OAL measuring from the ogive.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:16 PM

The plastic tips have slight variations in length , nothing to worry about
Old 09-19-2017, 09:21 PM

variances would differ because bullet tips vary more than ogives from projectile to projectile. if you measured to the ogive, there would be less variance.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:25 AM

Thanks
Old 09-20-2017, 08:02 AM

Default You guys!

I can't believe that you can measure .008" and then be concerned about it. Not only that but lots of people know the answer to the question.

Long gone are the days of just filling the case up with "rifle powder" I think it was 3031 to the top, sticking in a bullet and the deer beware!

Were the old timers just better/more experienced shooters or what has changed. Grand dad shot a 32 special, on New Brunswick moose. When I asked him where he aimed he said "Behind the ear" when I asked "what if the moose is looking the wrong way" the answer was "You just wait until he turns his head".

Obviously short range shots, no scope. I think he was 80 years old when he shot his last one.

Shoot lots of those WTs so I don't have to dodge them with my truck this winter.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I can't believe that you can measure .008" and then be concerned about it. Not only that but lots of people know the answer to the question.

Long gone are the days of just filling the case up with "rifle powder" I think it was 3031 to the top, sticking in a bullet and the deer beware!

Were the old timers just better/more experienced shooters or what has changed. Grand dad shot a 32 special, on New Brunswick moose. When I asked him where he aimed he said "Behind the ear" when I asked "what if the moose is looking the wrong way" the answer was "You just wait until he turns his head".

Obviously short range shots, no scope. I think he was 80 years old when he shot his last one.

Shoot lots of those WTs so I don't have to dodge them with my truck this winter.
What does this have to do with COAL?

-Billy Molls
Old 09-20-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
What does this have to do with COAL?
What he is saying is 8 one thousands of an inch is pretty darn small. He is having trouble believing that small a difference could be at all relevant to how a gun shoots. Have to say I agree with Densa44 when it comes to hunting loads.

To the OP, the answers you got are right, the difference is due to slight variations in your bullets overall lengths. Getting the bullet concentric in the case and the neck tension the same will affect group size on a hunting rifle far more than even .01 or .02 difference in CAOL.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

Did he walk to school in the snow uphill both ways too?

Ah the good old days.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk