Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 10:40 AM

Default Backcountry hunting safety (bear fence)

Does anyone have any experience with one of those portable bear fences that run off of D cell batteries? Do they work?

During my scouting weekends in the last 6-8 weeks or so, I have been sleeping out in the backcountry without, just the one man tent with bear spray next to the sleeping bag (not sure what good that would do, I guess pepper myself before he takes a bite...lol). I am new to Alberta, so have no experience with Grizzlies. I realize that I could continue having no issues and maybe never see one, but it may be worth the investment.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:47 AM

This has me thinking, would a taser work on a bear?
Old 09-19-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
I would not want to get close enough to try it...

I assume that is the theory behind the fences. It has a capacitor that jumps up the power from the two D cells when something organic makes contact. It is probably just enough of a sting to get the undetermined ones to move along, but if he wanted in, he is getting into your defensive perimeter....At least that is what I am thinking
Old 09-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwilson View Post
Does anyone have any experience with one of those portable bear fences that run off of D cell batteries? Do they work?
yes i have one, no it doesn't work.

1. the spark is weak compared to traditional fences
2. there is a video out there of a grizzly bear eating electrified meat and it doesn't give up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdM9YOYrcbs
3. the hair is often to thick that brushing a wire isn't enough to jolt them
Old 09-19-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
yes i have one, no it doesn't work.

1. the spark is weak compared to traditional fences
2. there is a video out there of a grizzly bear eating electrified meat and it doesn't give up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdM9YOYrcbs
3. the hair is often to thick that brushing a wire isn't enough to jolt them
Thanks for this, that is what I figured. I will save my money.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Not reliably, due to the thick fur.

I've heard the fence that runs off auto batteries does a good job. Seen videos of it working to deter a summer polar bear. One zap and he didn't come back for seconds.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 AM

If you spend enough time in bear country you will encounter grizzly bears. The trick is to avoid CLOSE encounters. Keep a clean camp, don't eat where you sleep, make a little noise in the thick brush...... Carrying bear spray is a good idea, I wouldn't put much faith in the backpacking electric fence, follow the bear safety guide lines, sleep light and carry a big gun and you should be fine. All that being said, there are no guarantees.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:51 AM

I have seen the odd black bear break through full strength electric fences to get to Bee hives and stored oats but they are effective at keeping 98% of the bears out. I can't imagine the backpacker fence doing much good. You are better off if the fence set of a really loud audible alarm. The noise is more likely to scare the bear off; two, you are awake and ready for the bear if it keeps coming.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:23 PM

Have one that uses 4 D batteries. Works well. Keep the wire(s) low and keep ground rod area wet
Old 09-19-2017, 01:42 PM

We had a bear wreck a tent once. This year i am going to be putting up 3 electric wires around the tent. 12 volt deep cycle battery, gallagher electric fencer. If a bear can with stand that i dont want to be hunting in the area anyhow.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Banned

Nice thing about electrified fence around your tent,,,

If you get up for a pizz in the middle of the night! you WILL KNOW when your peeing on the boundary of your campsite !
Old 09-19-2017, 06:26 PM

We've got two - one for the kitchen and one for the tent. Never had any issues with bears, and don't know that we've had to "test" it. That bein said, it does give a pretty good zap (from personal experience to prove it works), but as stated keep the ground spike damp. I think the theory is you tie flagging on to the energized wires, it attracts their curiosity and get zapped on the nose.. Again, I'm just going from what I've read, and I know that it is some peace of mind after we had a bear in camp one year.. Keep your camp as clean as you can. We are in the bush for about 10 days, so it is tough to get everything put away.. At best, it's in a cooler.. And we cook on our stove and bbq.. But we have the same rule from when we were kids - no food in the tent..

http://www.udap.com/mm5/category/bear-electric-fences
Old 09-19-2017, 07:31 PM

Exclamation

Clean camp , gun you can shoot quick , and don't camp in a bunch of bear sign.
I do t think I'd let bear spray off in a tent...
Old 09-19-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
If you spend enough time in bear country you will encounter grizzly bears. The trick is to avoid CLOSE encounters. Keep a clean camp, don't eat where you sleep, make a little noise in the thick brush...... Carrying bear spray is a good idea, I wouldn't put much faith in the backpacking electric fence, follow the bear safety guide lines, sleep light and carry a big gun and you should be fine. All that being said, there are no guarantees.
I am used to bears, I live in WMU 410. I will be heading into the back country next week to chase me some deer. How far do you guys keep the place you eat from the place you sleep?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I am used to bears, I live in WMU 410. I will be heading into the back country next week to chase me some deer. How far do you guys keep the place you eat from the place you sleep?
We're probably 50-60 yards as the crow flies.. Hanging pole is usually (when we need it) about 40 yards from the kitchen and further away from the tent..
Old 09-20-2017, 12:36 AM

Instead of worrying about bears on the ground, consider getting a suspended tent you can anchor between trees up off the ground. There are several designs .
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-20-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Instead of worrying about bears on the ground, consider getting a suspended tent you can anchor between trees up off the ground. There are several designs .

Better be 10 feet off the ground.

Grizz
Old 09-20-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Better be 10 feet off the ground.

Grizz
Yes and good luck finding trees big enough for that in sheep country. I really don't think bears in your tent while you are occupying it is an issue. When was the last time a hunter was jumped by a bear while sleeping in his tent? I'm sure it has happened but doubt it's common.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:20 AM

Default Backcountry hunting safety (bear fence)

Edit
Old 09-21-2017, 02:05 PM

Even if the bear comes back the initial bolt and noise would hopefully make you aware there is a bear there. Rather than being surprised.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:55 PM

If you quad or pack into base camp then sure a good fence will be worth taking. but anything you carry in a backpack won't be worth a rip.

Follow the advice on here, east, cook, sleep in 3 separate places. hang food 10 feet up and you won't have a problem. Don't bring wrappers or anything scented into your tent. We often hang our packs in trees usually, as there's often food scent on that.
If the only thing in your tent is a sleeping bag, mat, clothes, gun, and a headlamp there simply isn't anything he's going to want in there.

Higher chance of getting killed in a car accident on your drive to the trail head...
Old 09-21-2017, 03:05 PM

Hmmm. I guess we probably shouldnt be cooking bacon in the tent then eh.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_pass88 View Post
If you quad or pack into base camp then sure a good fence will be worth taking. but anything you carry in a backpack won't be worth a rip.

Follow the advice on here, east, cook, sleep in 3 separate places. hang food 10 feet up and you won't have a problem. Don't bring wrappers or anything scented into your tent. We often hang our packs in trees usually, as there's often food scent on that.
If the only thing in your tent is a sleeping bag, mat, clothes, gun, and a headlamp there simply isn't anything he's going to want in there.

Higher chance of getting killed in a car accident on your drive to the trail head...
This forum could use a like button, this post pretty much sums it up perfectly.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:02 PM

4 claymore mines would do it.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_pass88 View Post

Gather, in Yellowstone, so much as leaving a water bottle out, will get you a ticket.

Grizz