Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 03:30 PM

Default First Try With a Ladder Stand

This will be my first outing with a ladder stand. Couldn't see anything in our usual spot with the willow growth on the cutlines last year, so time to get above it!
Other than the obvious safety measures (use of the supplied harness, 2 man set up etc.) do you regulars have any tips to make the experience more, well more than just an experience? Comfort tips, tricks and the like?
Old 09-19-2017, 03:44 PM

A camo wind break around your legs or a heater body suit
Old 09-19-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuss View Post
A camo wind break around your legs or a heater body suit
Yep, or a blanket.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:08 PM

Far from an expert but I like to camo them up before erecting them. Not necessary but adds a cool factor if you're into that. I also remove the crappy covers usually supplied with the shooting rail and arm rests if the stand comes with those. Then take the round, foam pipe insulation and install where and how you prefer. Then cover that with the McNett camo wrap of your choosing. It fits tight, is quiet and comfortable to rest your elbows or firearm on. I also do a couple wraps where the shooting rail and seat contact the stops or frame of the stand. Eliminates any metal to metal or plastic contact. You can do the same on the foot rest if it has one so your feet aren't contacting metal on the uber chilly days.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:26 PM

If you havent put it up yet make sure you have two guys and you can also buy those kits with ratchet strap and spikes to anchor them better. They have a real tendancy to spin around tree when first putting up with the unfortunate thing being you have to be 15 feet up to ratchet it to tree to start with. I like to set up in a spruce tree if available which gives you instant camoflage and keep my trimming to a minimum.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:07 PM

1) Replace the clip pins with a nut and bolt. It keeps the ladder from shifting at all and making any noise climbing up and down. The clips work, but don't make a nice tight fit.
2) Be sure you step on the bottom rung so it settles into the ground really well...that also helps with any creek/clank sounds when you climb up. Sometimes the ladder can sink into the ground and hang up on a root causing the whole ladder to be unstable and shift while climbing, so bring an ax just in case you have to cut that out. This also helps keep the ladder from swinging while you ratchet up top.
3) The animals can still make you out easily if you move and don't have branches to give you some cover, so don't take too much comfort in being high above....still need to keep your movement to a minimum.
4) You can pee off the stand (don't hit the ladder that you have to climb down!). I've done this, then worry that it might scare the deer away, and later had deer walk by later and smell it, and move on. They don't know what it means...

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2017, 07:36 AM

I like the idea of a spruce tree set up. Some good ideas so far, keep them coming...