Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2010, 04:30 PM

Default New Art Gallery: super boring!

I took the family to the new art gallery in Edmonton. Very boring. I am not art expert, but the exhibits were uninteresting. The interior was quite a bit smaller than it looks from the outside too. Any thoughts?
Old 05-22-2010, 05:37 PM

My thought's are that you are most likely not an art gallery kind of guy. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
My thought's are that you are most likely not an art gallery kind of guy. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
What irritates me is that Mandy the mayor spent 88 million dollars to build the art gallery for who OR whom?

a) The children of our society? Children like fun places, and Mandys new art gallery is no place to take your little guys. Go to RAM (Royal Alberta Museum). The guys and gals who work there have kids in mind. I also know that some of the people in the background at RAM are hardcore hunters and fisherman. They are also most helpful.

b) The smarmy rich snoooty phoneys who pretend to have exquisite tastes regarding art and art history. These rich people could have paid for their own darn art gallery instead of us tax payers who have to put up with a disgusting infrastructure program, and higher taxes.

GET OFF YOUR REAR END AND VOTE MANDY AND HIS CRONEYS OUT OF OFFICE during the next civic election

It is also nice to watch the homeless people of our society sit on the steps of this new art gallery shooting up drugs and drinking BIG BEAR beer.

In a certain way the poor and down and out on the steps of Mandys and his rich friends gallery built on the backs of the declining working class is a piece of living art in itself.

Last edited by greylynx; 05-22-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
It is also nice to watch the homeless people of our society sit on the steps of this new art gallery shooting up drugs and drinking BIG BEAR beer.
Hey Edmonton may have a first, the worlds most expensive crack house

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-22-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Well, I actually enjoy art gallerys that have colorful, cool, relevant, and meaningful art whether its new or old. The new Edmonton Art Gallery seemed small and full of obscure pieces. I also like to shoot things and fish too! Haha!

Greylynx, you hit the nail on the head though. That is s@#$ load of money to go to something only a small minority of relatively elite people can enjoy. Funny too, that I had to walk past the library and still watch and hear those dirtbags dealing their drugs and swearing. They scurried off when Edmonton's finest showed up though. I'm not a big fan of Mandel either.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Default Nailed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
What irritates me is that Mandy the mayor spent 88 million dollars to build the art gallery for who OR whom?

a) The children of our society? Children like fun places, and Mandys new art gallery is no place to take your little guys. Go to RAM (Royal Alberta Museum). The guys and gals who work there have kids in mind. I also know that some of the people in the background at RAM are hardcore hunters and fisherman. They are also most helpful.

b) The smarmy rich snoooty phoneys who pretend to have exquisite tastes regarding art and art history. These rich people could have paid for their own darn art gallery instead of us tax payers who have to put up with a disgusting infrastructure program, and higher taxes.

GET OFF YOUR REAR END AND VOTE MANDY AND HIS CRONEYS OUT OF OFFICE during the next civic election

In a certain way the poor and down and out on the steps of Mandys and his rich friends gallery built on the backs of the declining working class is a piece of living art in itself.
Couldn;t have said it better myself. ****es me off that these clowns have absolutely no guilts pilfering the coffers of taxpayers that are barely getting by to fund their pet projects that should absolutely NOT be the domain of gov't. ESPECIALLY when they can hardly get the snow off the damn streets in the winter.

Typical moron politician "If the public wants clean streets, cops, fire dept, then we will have to raise taxes." Notice how they never say "If the public wants extravagant buildings for the elite to play in that will never serve any pragmatic purpose to the general taxpaying public then we will have to raise taxes." Sad thing is that it seems the majority of Edmontonians are too stupid to understand what is happening beyond what the politico's are telling them. So...they will continue to grumble about taxes and snow filled streets, and crime.

Suckers.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:00 PM

The arena's goin' to be the same damn thing. You've been warned. Katz isn't goin' to pay a red cent if he can help it, but you can be dang sure he'll take the profits.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
The arena's goin' to be the same damn thing. You've been warned. Katz isn't goin' to pay a red cent if he can help it, but you can be dang sure he'll take the profits.
I like hockey, but I must admit it doesn't seem right that someone can walk into town like a snake oil salesman and convince the local yokels to spend big money and walk out with the profits if he feels like it, remember Winnipeg.

And can someone explain how Katz got so rich from a bunch of dinky, Rexall drug stores scattered around rural Alberta? I heard he doesn't live much at that big house by the river. Spends most of his time in Palm Springs.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Hes putting in 100 million of his money...regardless the economic spinoff created from games,conventions and concerts to the downtown is HUGE...people will come into town for events and spend money which will create jobs....the arts although I appreciate them simply does not have the same return on investment
Old 05-22-2010, 09:31 PM

Ok, I stand corrected, I hadn't heard that. Although that won't even scratch the surface. My personal beef is that I don't want to have to go to downtown for stuff. And I'm worried about what will happen to the CFR.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:06 PM

Why would the CFR suffer? That is put on by Northlands Rexall place will still be used as a venue...the agricom ( Expo Hall ) will still be used as well...I donts see aproblem
Old 05-22-2010, 10:52 PM

The city needed a new Art gallery and the one they put up is pretty impressive in and of itself. The instilations change and while you may not like the pieces there now you may like future exhibits.

As for Elitist, i dont understand why anyone would suggest same. Its less expensive to attend then an oiler or eskimo game or tickets to the CFR. its on par with going to a movie. Im just over 30 and i remember when people thought of golf and redwine as elitist. I guess if one considers anything that isnt appropriate to down 6 or 7 beers while enjoying as elitist than the art gallery is. Other than that it is fairly in expensive, when compared to other nights out on the town.

In order to be a world city we need attractions, we need things to do and we need a vibrant downtown core.

The Art gallery is part of a greater vision to vitalize downtown. I for one am a propent for same. I also hope the new arena gets built downtown. Personally i want to live in city where its downtown does not shut down at 530. I have lived downtown for 6 years i bought before the boom and have gradually seen the desirability of downtown grow, but more needs to be done.

Revitalizing the downtown core will take more than an arena, the art gallery is one part. The economic spinoffs from having a vibrant downtown and a world city will actually offset the costs of the building over time.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Oh that's so funny because the art gallery doesn't contain any art. The GF and I went in April because we thought it would be cool. Instead what we found was a bunch of stupid artistic interpretations. I'll admit that maybe I just didn't get the Degas 'Figure in Motion' because it was just a bunch of badly made sculptures... but if you like it then good for you. What really got to me was Karsh photographs that any decent photographer could take, or how about the room that was an abandoned 1960s Japanese dentist office with a storm outside (did I just stand in a small humid room with a bunch of strangers listening to thunder?), or the room that had a gramophone and a bunch of speakers playing crows cawing. Definitely Not Art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Hes putting in 100 million of his money
Katz went from putting his money into a new arena, now putting his money into the surrounding entertainment area. He bought the Oilers with the promise of putting his own money into a new arena, now we get the bait and switch.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:26 PM

Dont know where you got that info from but its not accurate
Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 AM

I have always wondered why or who decides what is art or what isn't art. Have been to a few art galleries including the Louvre in Paris. I've seen more impressive stuff done by 3 year olds taped to peoples fridges in just about any kitchen. I used to know a guy who would take old wooden produce boxes, take them apart and make them into weird shaped boxes and cut pictures of stuff out of magazines and glue them on the boxes, tack a bunch of plastic beads and such then brush clearcoat over them and sell them for anywhere up to $5000. Once worked in a body shop in Victoria, we got a phone call from a lispy guy who had a sheet metal shop send over 2-4'x8' sheets of 1/2" aluminium, wanted us to cut a 1/2" slot half way through each sheet and slide them together in a + shape then bend and beat them up however we liked, just wanted us to beat the crap out of them however we liked, then spray them with red primer then have them delivered to the art gallery for an exibition. He never laid hands on them, he did no more than pick up the phone and have it do it for him. A week later there was an article and a picture in the Times Colonist about this dude and his wonderful 'art' Article went on to say he had gotten a $40,000 gov't grant to build that thing. Pretty sure it went to a scrap yard somewhere and got recycled into beer cans.

Personally I believe the gov't should not support the 'arts'. If art is so valued by society it would support itself on it's own merits. As far as I can tell most of it is a welfare scheme for people who don't want to earn a living.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:24 PM

We're hijacking your thread bobby2unes, sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Dont know where you got that info from but its not accurate
http://www.seemagazine.com/article/n...ent/katz-0218/ Very liberal but take what you can from it.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...139/story.html

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...917/story.html

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...826/story.html

http://news.globaltv.com/money/Oiler...284/story.html

Unless you know something the rest of us don't.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantThinkOfAName View Post
No sweat man. It's interesting to read what others think of art versus sports and what public money should and should not be used for.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2unes View Post
No sweat man. It's interesting to read what others think of art versus sports and what public money should and should not be used for.
Well if the art gallery could attract 50,000 people, even 5000 people on a saturday night it might be worth 88 million. I doubt that 50,000 people would visit it in a year. How many Hotel rooms are rented out, very little other spin off business. To make it pay they would have to charge everyone a $2000 admission fee. I doubt the few people visiting the art gallery will ever pay for it, let alone even cover maintenance costs, I think it's a dead loss. I can see a new arena filling hotels, bars, restaurants and other spin off business generating a much larger revenue for dollar spent than the art gallery.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:05 PM

can't make everyone happy, tax money will be spent on things you don't use.... but others do

I for one, love the building; and have no issue with the money spent to build the building, it's the reality of living in a large city.