Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-17-2020, 01:17 PM

Default Coyote time.

Well snaremen and women, it’s almost time to start catching some coyotes. When are you going to start harvesting some fur? Best of luck to you all, and let’s hope the prices are worth all the effort. Unfortunately for me, I’m scheduled to have shoulder surgery on the 26th of October. For that reason my snaring season is over before it even started. Double suck because I was drawn for trophy mule deer too. I look forward to seeing how you all do this winter. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2020, 10:30 PM

I’m getting baits started and will be hanging shares first week of Nov to test the waters. Prices will be less then last year but prime coyotes will bring the best money. I find mid November our coyotes are prime with little to no blue leather.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:39 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear about your shoulder surgery but hey, you’re fortunate to be getting it done with the backlog due to the Rona.

I wouldn’t write yourself off for the entire trapping season though. I’ve had two shoulder surgeries, the first arthroscopic and the second open reduction. With arthroscopic it was only four weeks in a sling followed by some strengthening physiotherapy. You might be okay to hang snares in December and putting up the fur in January.

I plan on trapping beaver starting Monday until the end of October. Then I’ll bait coyotes for a couple of weeks and start hanging snares about 15 November. They’re reaching Prime about then although sometimes it’s later. My first white hide was 6 December last year for whatever reason.

Good luck to all. Have fun and stay safe.

Last edited by HunterDave; 10-17-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:37 PM

Default Coyote time

Hopefully everyone does great. One of my buyers has told me that he wants 30,000 coyotes. Looks like $80 average for good coyotes and $100 for the best ones. Down from last year, but still very encouraging. Good luck folks.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Sorry to hear about your shoulder surgery but hey, you’re fortunate to be getting it done with the backlog due to the Rona.

I wouldn’t write yourself off for the entire trapping season though. I’ve had two shoulder surgeries, the first arthroscopic and the second open reduction. With arthroscopic it was only four weeks in a sling followed by some strengthening physiotherapy. You might be okay to hang snares in December and putting up the fur in January.

I plan on trapping beaver starting Monday until the end of October. Then I’ll bait coyotes for a couple of weeks and start hanging snares about 15 November. They’re reaching Prime about then although sometimes it’s later. My first white hide was 6 December last year for whatever reason.

Good luck to all. Have fun and stay safe.

Ice forming on the creek out front & the weather is not looking good: https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-8_metric_e.html
Old 10-19-2020, 06:10 AM

I will start footholding sometime late this week or Monday of next week. I’m then hunting whitetails November 7-12 ish. Then the snares will begin to be set. Should be fully set by December 5th ish. Hopefully you have a speedy recovery.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:31 AM

Hope everything goes well with surgery. Been there done that.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:12 AM
AO Sponsor

Sorry you gonna miss out this season. Maybe you can skip the bait and just trail snare this year, and convince some very well dressed skinners to put up your kiyutes for you??? I did really like your section of dawgs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

Sounds super. I still have a bunch of things to do to finish the big move off, even have to learn how to winterize a boat thats currently sitting in the old skinning shop before I get doing anything. Usually I let the deer war unravel before getting too serious, but I do have time in Nov to get out and get a few extra of my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Hopefully everyone does great. One of my buyers has told me that he wants 30,000 coyotes. Looks like $80 average for good coyotes and $100 for the best ones. Down from last year, but still very encouraging. Good luck folks.
We haven't set price for the year yet. The GFW powers will sit down with their MASSIVE customer late this week or early next week and iron out pricing for the coming season's opening. So stay tuned. I think people will be very pleased with GFW prices for the 2020-2021 season. They have a very large order from the largest buyer of coyotes in the world.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:24 PM

Gonna knock a couple down in a week or so and see how close they are ..Snares wont go out til Dec 1 when sticky fingered deerhunters are gonna and hopefully griz are sleepin.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk