Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-30-2015, 07:32 AM

Default Hunter Statistics/Survey Results

http://www.afga.org/pdf/Conference/H...al%20D.Kay.pdf

FWIW ..
Old 07-30-2015, 08:46 AM

What that doesn't show is the way Outfitters tend get to squeeze residents out in some of the nicer zones like 406.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:02 AM

It looks like lots of people get drawn for a tag and never buy it . They say only 82% were sold
Old 07-30-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD HAMMER View Post
It looks like lots of people get drawn for a tag and never buy it . They say only 82% were sold
I'd guess/hope that those are folks who get drawn for easy-to-get tags, rather than those who wait 12 or 14 years to get one. It is an interesting figure, though...why apply for the draw if you're not going to buy the license?

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-30-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I'd guess/hope that those are folks who get drawn for easy-to-get tags, rather than those who wait 12 or 14 years to get one. It is an interesting figure, though...why apply for the draw if you're not going to buy the license?
Maybe they got called for jury duty.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:50 PM
Banned

I noticed the moose harvest is almost 15% below the targeted number
Old 07-30-2015, 12:57 PM
Banned

WMU 212 Antlerless Elk 300 drawn 140 tags bought 47%

Calgary.... i'm looking at you...
Old 07-30-2015, 01:11 PM

what am I missing about 406 and outfitters? I hunt there all the time and never see any. Maybe they are there and know something that I don't but what would they go for as I never thought of it as a trophy zone for anything?
Old 07-30-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I can't speak for every tag, but sometimes things happen. I drew a moose tag that I waited patiently for a few years back. I never wind up buying the tag, or even hunting that season due to my wife having a major medical emergency. Only draw tag I never purchased.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:15 PM

Only 60 percent of the 438 tags were purchased!!! What a joke
Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
Maybe they got called for jury duty.
hehehe
Old 07-30-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post

On that particular one (though this may happen in other WMU's too) I wonder if guys put in for the draw, and then found they couldn't get access so didn't buy the license. That's not an easy area.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post
I can't speak for every tag, but sometimes things happen. I drew a moose tag that I waited patiently for a few years back. I never wind up buying the tag, or even hunting that season due to my wife having a major medical emergency. Only draw tag I never purchased.
Oh, absolutely. Family situations should absolutely take precedence. But that's not going to be the case for almost 1 in 5 applicants!

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-30-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post

Thing is the gov't keeps track of the % of tags that are not purchased and make accommodation for that. If they want 50 animals taken out of an area they know that for arguments sake say 25% of people drawn wont hunt or buy the tag, they know the success rate of hunters there is say 50% they factor that in so in effect they try to sell enough tags allowing for drop outs and unsuccessful hunters they probably sell 125 draws just to get somewhere handy to the target number of 50 animals they want harvested.

If everybody who drew a tag actually purchased it and was successful there would be a whole lot less tags given out. I see nothing wrong with that as it gives a better chance to get drawn because of the increased number of tags sold and makes a few more bucks from the extra application fees.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 PM

Excellent info!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:36 PM

Thumbs up to Dave Kay with F&W for doing this work. We're not quite down to the fine detail yet, but this document is a great advancement from any previously released hunting licence information. Thanks Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Thing is the gov't keeps track of the % of tags that are not purchased and make accommodation for that. If they want 50 animals taken out of an area they know that for arguments sake say 25% of people drawn wont hunt or buy the tag, they know the success rate of hunters there is say 50% they factor that in so in effect they try to sell enough tags allowing for drop outs and unsuccessful hunters they probably sell 125 draws just to get somewhere handy to the target number of 50 animals they want harvested.

If everybody who drew a tag actually purchased it and was successful there would be a whole lot less tags given out. I see nothing wrong with that as it gives a better chance to get drawn because of the increased number of tags sold and makes a few more bucks from the extra application fees.
Not so fast....

There are other reasons for determining licence numbers than just success rates. In 212 there are concerns with hunter density and social conflicts, which can trump harvest objectives. Due to these concerns, there is very little chance that the 212 antlerless elk draw will see an increase in licence numbers due to lower than desire harvest rates.

Another factor for the low purchase rate of the 212 licences is that as this draw is not effected by your other elk applications, a decent number of people are applying for it without a real intention to hunt it, it is treated as a bonus, especially if their season to date has already filled the freezer.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-31-2015, 02:58 PM

Now just imagine if guys actually participated in the surveys instead of wearing tinfoil hats. These numbers sure they are great to have but how many people DIDNT participate in the survey??