Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-27-2011, 11:54 PM

Default slugs in my shotgun?

just picked up a winchester model 50 with a poly choke and smoot barrel and was wondering if i can shoot deer in strathcona with this? whats the effective range? what do i set the choke to? what kind of slugs should i use? can i use the bead sight for bird hunting?

never shot a slug out of a shotgun before

any other pointers you think id need please feel free to help me out
Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisanderson View Post
just picked up a winchester model 50 with a poly choke and smoot barrel and was wondering if i can shoot deer in strathcona with this? whats the effective range? what do i set the choke to? what kind of slugs should i use? can i use the bead sight for bird hunting?

never shot a slug out of a shotgun before

any other pointers you think id need please feel free to help me out
Yes it will shoot slugs.
There may be a slug designation on your Poly choke.
if not, try cylinder or IMP on it.
Take a box and sight it in to check , at about 50 yards .
Cat
Old 03-28-2011, 10:02 PM

do i need new sights? like actually for slugs?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Try it out with what's on it first. You can hit things just fine with the bead sights with some practice
Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Nope, no need for sights or any other fancy stuff!
Just shoot the gun to figure out where it hits....
Cat
Old 03-29-2011, 08:58 AM

I used to shoot slugs out of my full choke single shot. As said above try it at 50 yds.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Really depends on the distance you plan on shooting but for close range you should be fine.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 AM

Slugs are not very accurate from the get go. If you're planning on pushing the gun to it's max effective range (not much past 50 yds), sights will take a lot of guesswork out of it and ease your learning curve (less of a bruise on your shoulder from practicing).
If your lucky enough to have a vent rib on that model 50, you can pick up some sights that will just bolt on easily.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
Slugs are not very accurate from the get go. If you're planning on pushing the gun to it's max effective range (not much past 50 yds), sights will take a lot of guesswork out of it and ease your learning curve (less of a bruise on your shoulder from practicing).
If your lucky enough to have a vent rib on that model 50, you can pick up some sights that will just bolt on easily.
"accuracy" is a very relative thing.
what most north Americans consider lousy, most Europeans have no problem killing animals with!
i have taken more than a few deer with a shotgun out to 75 or so with nio rib and a plain bead.
A few years ago i was hunting with blackman when he shot a white tail with one shot at 70 paces with an old martini trap gun, then a mule deer at 80 on the run with the same gun.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-29-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:13 PM

I'm curious to know if you've tried shooting from a bench looking down the bead. I could do a best of about 4" groups at 50 yds with sights just with cheapo factory slugs and very little practice. With the same amount of practice, I was lucky if i hit paper with just the bead. Maybe i didnt invest enough time trying to learn how to shoot with the bead, but firing lots of hard recoiling slugs isn't my idea of a good time. Agreed that accuracy is a relative term, and everyone has their own comfort level with a certain grouping.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
I'm curious to know if you've tried shooting from a bench looking down the bead. I could do a best of about 4" groups at 50 yds with sights just with cheapo factory slugs and very little practice. With the same amount of practice, I was lucky if i hit paper with just the bead. Maybe i didnt invest enough time trying to learn how to shoot with the bead, but firing lots of hard recoiling slugs isn't my idea of a good time. Agreed that accuracy is a relative term, and everyone has their own comfort level with a certain grouping.
I don't spend any time at the bench with my shotguns, I shoot them offhand.
I also don't shoot 12 bores with smokeless and slugs 1 1/8oz , I shoot a 20 with 7/8oz slugs.
I have lots of friends that also shoot nothing but trade guns and black powder with round balls for deer and moose.
They seem to kill their fair share of game with these flint locks and bead sights...
Cat
Old 03-30-2011, 03:28 PM

You shouldn't have much difficulty launching some slugs out of this shotgun. If you haven't done much shooting with it previously then i would not suggest sighting in with slugs just yet, with a 12g. 1oz 2.75" it can have a pretty decent kick to it.

I recommend patterning the gun with some low brass target loads, teach your self how to use the rib and bead to aim. and slowly try heavier recoil loads progressively learning about the increase in recoil.

50-70m accuracy is very achievable in a smooth bore, keeping in mind that I am referring to minute of white-tail and not MOA.

try different brands, different price ranges of slugs, you will want to shoot a rifled slug and not a sabot slug. Contrary to popular belief, rifled slugs do not cause the slug to spin, the rifling allows the lead slug to depress to fit through choke constrictions. Spinning the projectile will increase accuracy, but design of many rifled/foster style slugs are not conducive to long range accuracy or energy retention especially in 0.72 ish diameter.

With practice you will certainly surprise yourself.