Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 PM

I didn't buy that one to look at, I bought it to shoot cast bullets with at targets, the way it was intended!
Cat
Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The only thing to consider in this case, is that over 100 years passed since it was made. With over 100 years of inflation, what would $15 in 1906 be worth today? What was the average wage in 1906 vs what it is now?
$335.32 cents in today's dollars, bet it is worth a whole lot more than that today.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
$335.32 cents in today's dollars, bet it is worth a whole lot more than that today.
Doing a quick search online, the average hourly wage in 1906 in the USA was $.22 per hour. In 2011 it is around $19 per hour. The average hourly wage has gone up by a factor of 86 times what it was in 1906. Multiply that $15 by 86 times, puts today's equivalent price at around $1300.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
The only thing to consider in this case, is that over 100 years passed since it was made. With over 100 years of inflation, what would $15 in 1906 be worth today? What was the average wage in 1906 vs what it is now?
Quote:
Doing a quick search online, the average hourly wage in 1906 in the USA was $.22 per hour. In 2011 it is around $19 per hour. The average hourly wage has gone up by a factor of 86 times what it was in 1906. Multiply that $15 by 86 times, puts today's equivalent price at around $1300.
Hey Elkhunter,

With all do respect, in order to calculate the value of a good in today's dollar you have to use the core inflation rate. Which is how I got the three hundred and something number.

By using wage, you in a way calculated rough purchasing power, which means the average person could have bought more gun today than they could have in 1906, but it doesn't mean the inflationary value of the gun is $1300.

If you want to know how much that gun cost in today's dollars, that is the number I posted. Its based on the Stats Canada inflation numbers compounded annually.

Cheers,

Nolan
Old 03-28-2011, 07:56 AM

To go one step further - $0.22 in 1906 dollars is roughly $4.92 in 2011 dollars.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Smile Cat was that an original stock?

Wow you need to get out more! The stock looks like a fender off an old truck I had.

Seriously though, did you make it? What kind of wood is it? Is it fitted to you? And of course how does it shoot?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:43 AM

Default guns

It depends on the rifle. If you buy a gun from a famous gunmaker but it's used when you buy it you probably won't lose money on it. Or buy a fine double rifle made by a good maker in the range of 15,000.00+ and if you buy right and keep it in immaculate condition you'll never-ever lose money on it especially if you buy it used. Fine doubles can be owned and shot and resold without losing a dime....kinb of makes the price seem worthwhile.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 AM

Pretty much any gun you buy these days will depreciate and relatively fast. I just sold a gun that I paid about $1,300 for and I sold it for right close to $900 there were also some rings and bases and an aftermarket recoil pad so probably another $100. The gun was about 2 years old and now wholesale has them marked down to $1,100.
Had the gun still been priced in the stores at the same price I bought it I would have asked for another $100 bucks, but it wasn't and I was forced to conform to the market.
Right now with a strong dollar Canadian gun stores are able to get more for the dollar and therefore that shows in prices from a couple years ago.

You take a gun like a Sako 75 it's very sought after and there are none available so if you want to get one used your going to pay a good price for it....Supply and demand.

Mike
Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
By using wage, you in a way calculated rough purchasing power,
That was my intention. When comparing costs from the past and now, I usually use that basic train of thought.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM

LOL Elk, that wasn't your intention. Do you understand compounding interest? I'd love to hear about it.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
LOL Elk, that wasn't your intention.
I think that I am better qualified to speak as to my intention than you are.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Wow you need to get out more! The stock looks like a fender off an old truck I had.

Seriously though, did you make it? What kind of wood is it? Is it fitted to you? And of course how does it shoot?
think some one has a sig line on here about "better keeping quiet and thought a fool"...or something like that.....that is a fine piece bar none....
Old 03-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

think some one has a sig line on here about "better keeping quiet and thought a fool"...or something like that.....that is a fine piece bar none.... thinking you need to get out more.......
Old 03-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:

HAHA!!!
No, I did not make the stock, the Highwall was offered in several different styles, the schuetzen match rifle being one.
The calibers however were limited to either 32/40 or 3855 in the match rifle, mine is in 38/55.
Here's link to one in pristine shape.Check out the price!!
Of course it not only has the letter of authenticity, but the shipping bill of lading as well, so this is a fine collector's piece.
Mine's a shooter - I'd rather have mine!!
Cat
http://www.icollector.com/Outstandin...inche_i9752355
Old 03-28-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
HAHA!!!
No, I did not make the stock, the Highwall was offered in several different styles, the schuetzen match rifle being one.
The calibers however were limited to either 32/40 or 3855 in the match rifle, mine is in 38/55.
Of course it not only has the letter of authenticity, but the shipping bill of lading as well, so this is a fine collector's piece.
Cat
That is awesome! What a beautiful looking gun. Definitely has gone up in value substantially.

You sure have some cool toys cat!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:53 PM

Just too throw my two cents worth in.... I never pay for upgrades in a rifle or in a pickup truck..A) I have no idea what kind of workmanship has gone into the piece. B) I tend to like my rifles in original condition. C) Any rifle I have ever "improved" has cost me money.

Cat, if you ever want to sell that rifle.... DO NOT Talk to my wife.....lol.. I can't afford it.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
HAHA!!!
Cat
Holy Wow,I had no idea that your Rifle was worth Coin like that!!!

Better pass that baby down to your son,so his son can buy a house with it in a Few more years Thats one spicy Meatball!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Holy Wow,I had no idea that your Rifle was worth Coin like that!!!

Better pass that baby down to your son,so his son can buy a house with it in a Few more years Thats one spicy Meatball!!!
here we go again however, I didn't PAY that much for mine and I doubt very much that my rifle ( in fact I'd put money on it) would come anywhere near that price!

it was on CGN for a while and the price was dropped until the owner gave up.
After making a sale or two of some other shotguns I figured I'd try and track it down, and i was able to get it for the price he last asked for it + shipping.
The price was more than fair, and the owner was glad it went to someone who actually knows how to load and shoot cast bullets!
Make no mistake however I didn't get this gun for under a grand, the dnaged scope is worth that to anyone looking for an RTB Unertl!
Cat
Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Some guns take a long time to appreciate, due to inflation and the fact that the gun itself is desirable.
This rifle was shipped in 1906 at the cost ( without the iron sight and scope) of approximately fifteen dollars($15.00) - give or take a little , seeing how this one came with the optional set trigger .
I paid "slightly more" than that !!
So, in extreme cases, yes, they will appreciate!!
Cat
This gun has starred in several of your posts, and rightfully so. This time, I have to comment. This piece is amazing, just the way it looks. Can I shoot it? Hold it? look at it? Either way, I r-clicked and saved this graceful bang stick. It now resides in "My Pictures"
Old 03-29-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korzy View Post
This gun has starred in several of your posts, and rightfully so. This time, I have to comment. This piece is amazing, just the way it looks. Can I shoot it? Hold it? look at it? Either way, I r-clicked and saved this graceful bang stick. It now resides in "My Pictures"
SURE!! Come on up any time to the fort and shoot away!!
Cat
Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 PM

A much better investment than a car or truck, so I would say Yes, they do hold their value (probably because it's pretty tough to wear out a gun).
Old 03-29-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrsmatth View Post
I have been perusing the buy sell section of the forum daily for several months now and have noticed that a large number of people selling guns want almost the price that you could buy them for new.

Do guns really hold their value this much, or are people just trying to sell hoping that buyers don't find out the actual value?

It appears that anything priced reasonably gets scooped up super fast.
Much like at the gun shows... you can put any price tag on. A sucker is born every day.