Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-30-2019, 10:29 AM

Default Dempster highway Caribou massacre

The 1st time in many years 100,00 caribou crossed the dempster highway.About 2000 were harvested---Hunters shooting into the herd,The road lined with dead and abandoned animals.What a shame.The same thing happened near St. Shotts many years ago on the southern Avalon-- The wildlife were picking up dead and dieing animals with helicopters for days.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:33 AM

Hunters?

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 11-30-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Hunters?
Whoever they were I wouldn't call them Hunters

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2019, 11:07 AM

Default Same thing

Was happening in the Ya Ha Tinda before the wildlife corridor was established.Animals left dead and dying to far from the road for sluggo to bother retrieving.Where's CBC when you need them?
Old 11-30-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Was happening in the Ya Ha Tinda before the wildlife corridor was established.Animals left dead and dying to far from the road for sluggo to bother retrieving.Where's CBC when you need them?
Where is CBC when you need them seems like an oxymoron! They are too busy chasing Kenny’s government and defending Trudeau.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:23 AM

Default 2008

havent heard of a dempster highway massacre since 2008?
Local elders were asking hunters to wait until cooler weather the end of July.

https://www.google.com/search?client...+massacre+2019
Tradition has the elders teaching not to shoot the caribou leaders crossing roadways now that the route appears to have been re established after the caribou avoiding the area for many years.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/2626952...o_tab_contents
Old 11-30-2019, 11:24 AM

Default That

Was sarcasm don't ya know.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:25 AM

Default Post

Where is the article and date? Or is it old news?
Old 11-30-2019, 11:44 AM

Default current state of affairs (2014)

Uphere magazines current view on herd numbers and hunting practices by both natives and non natives.
Hopefully with out the media sensationalism:
https://uphere.ca/articles/state-hunt
Old 11-30-2019, 01:33 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

VERY Old news being passed as current = FAKE.

Nog
Old 11-30-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
havent heard of a dempster highway massacre since 2008?
Local elders were asking hunters to wait until cooler weather the end of July.

https://www.google.com/search?client...+massacre+2019
Tradition has the elders teaching not to shoot the caribou leaders crossing roadways now that the route appears to have been re established after the caribou avoiding the area for many years.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/2626952...o_tab_contents
Actually the last one that I see was in 2015.

https://aptnnews.ca/2015/11/20/dead-...into-the-herd/
Old 11-30-2019, 02:13 PM

Default Yup sometimes animals are hit and not recovered

Judging by the spin on this report they dont say how many were actually counted but showed 3. Now in my way of thinking if 2000 were harvested and only 3 showed up as possibly wounded during the party hunt and lost that is a pretty good percentage. We hear a few deer lost by both rifle and bow hunters each year and they feel terrible about it but it does happen. Problem with this report it makes so many non factual claims without providing numbers like "the number of lost animals continues to rise".
So now from the 3 filmed are we up to 5? no one knows.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
That's the reason wildlife corridors and seasonal highway closures were established. Of course, in the North, including National Parks, there are two sets of regulations, one for us and one for THEM.

Grizz
Old 11-30-2019, 03:38 PM

Default yup

hunts still happen in the traditional hunting grounds even if you build a highway through it
Old 11-30-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
hunts still happen in the traditional hunting grounds even if you build a highway through it
First Nations even have hunting rights in Kluane National Park.

Grizz
Old 12-01-2019, 09:30 AM

Default The Issue is never going away.

Ive hunted with native hunters before.
In '91-92 I went on a band hunt with my dad and 3 other Dene hunters to help get the alloted harvest for the local band. They harvested probably close to 80 caribou but it may have been a dozen or so less than that. That was back when our tag limit on the bathurst herd was 5 per resident hunter, and now it's 1 in a certain alloted zone and only bulls.
When I went and got mine in the spring of 2017 with two friends we had to travel through protected zones that resident tag holders were not allowed to harvest in. Came across numerous native camps along the ice road, well within the zones. As well in the zone we were allowed to hunt there were numerous piles of carcasses with front quarters still left laying there getting covered by snow drifts. As an adult I've spoken to numerous younger native guys who said they shoot the lead bull of a herd and the rest of them just stop, not knowing what to do. It's then a ' take your pick ' moment for them.
Numerous hunters of this ilk are still around, within the last 5 years even band chiefs have been convicted of wanton waste laws from communities like wekweti and gameti just north of our territorial capital.
When people who are responsible hunters and who would only take what they're allowed to with their 1 tag respond to people who hunt like that, the response almost always seems to be ' its our right'. I was always taught, from an early age to be a steward of the land, and what you shoot, you eat what's edible or find someone who will and gift it to them.
We've got numerous cases of fools trying to sell Caribou dry meat on the internet on local classifieds and it makes me sick. They wanna make money off of the natural resources? Should probably fire up the chainsaw and just sell cords of wood.
Point being is that this is always gonna be an issue in this country, gonna be even more so now that the Metis have been given land use rights. My buddy who clearly has a ukrainian last name got his and he gets $200 from the metis alliance organization just to show up to a damn dinner. Tax payers dollars put to work right there.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Banned

Another empty coyoteman thread with nothing to back up statements
Like E11 said this looks like old news from 2015
Old 12-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
The 1st time in many years 100,00 caribou crossed the Dempster Highway. About 2000 were harvested---Hunters shooting into the herd, the road lined with dead and abandoned animals. What a shame. The same thing happened near St. Shotts many years ago on the southern Avalon-- The wildlife were picking up dead and dying animals with helicopters for days.
Who is training wild animals to fly ? And who let them loose in a helicopter ?

Why do you insist on posting these nonsensical threads about randomness ? This happened 6 months ago. What relevance does it have now ?
And it's not even like you try to thoroughly explain, you just blab about whatever "Glory Days" story you've dreamed about recently.
And maybe try to touch-up on your grammar/typing, it makes it easier for the rest of us.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...hway-1.5223588

Old 12-02-2019, 10:46 AM

Default Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Who is training wild animals to fly ? And who let them loose in a helicopter ?

Why do you insist on posting these nonsensical threads about randomness ? This happened 6 months ago. What relevance does it have now ?
And it's not even like you try to thoroughly explain, you just blab about whatever "Glory Days" story you've dreamed about recently.
And maybe try to touch-up on your grammar/typing, it makes it easier for the rest of us.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...hway-1.5223588

You broke rules 2,3,4,---???
Old 12-02-2019, 10:47 AM

Default Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Another empty coyoteman thread with nothing to back up statements
Like E11 said this looks like old news from 2015
Broke forum rules ????
Old 12-02-2019, 10:54 AM

Default Waste

Quote:
Judging by the spin on this report they dont say how many were actually counted but showed 3. Now in my way of thinking if 2000 were harvested and only 3 showed up as possibly wounded during the party hunt and lost that is a pretty good percentage. We hear a few deer lost by both rifle and bow hunters each year and they feel terrible about it but it does happen. Problem with this report it makes so many non factual claims without providing numbers like "the number of lost animals continues to rise".
So now from the 3 filmed are we up to 5? no one knows.
I personally saw the st shotts massacre--The wildlife people were finishing off wounded caribou,and picking up the dead,with hellocopters.There was quite a pile--some might have been salvaged.Today on that roadway there are a line of white markers,about one kilometer from the road,you must hunt beyond those signs.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:02 AM

Default Hunting Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueNorth View Post
Ive hunted with native hunters before.
In '91-92 I went on a band hunt with my dad and 3 other Dene hunters to help get the alloted harvest for the local band. They harvested probably close to 80 caribou but it may have been a dozen or so less than that. That was back when our tag limit on the bathurst herd was 5 per resident hunter, and now it's 1 in a certain alloted zone and only bulls.
When I went and got mine in the spring of 2017 with two friends we had to travel through protected zones that resident tag holders were not allowed to harvest in. Came across numerous native camps along the ice road, well within the zones. As well in the zone we were allowed to hunt there were numerous piles of carcasses with front quarters still left laying there getting covered by snow drifts. As an adult I've spoken to numerous younger native guys who said they shoot the lead bull of a herd and the rest of them just stop, not knowing what to do. It's then a ' take your pick ' moment for them.
Numerous hunters of this ilk are still around, within the last 5 years even band chiefs have been convicted of wanton waste laws from communities like wekweti and gameti just north of our territorial capital.
When people who are responsible hunters and who would only take what they're allowed to with their 1 tag respond to people who hunt like that, the response almost always seems to be ' its our right'. I was always taught, from an early age to be a steward of the land, and what you shoot, you eat what's edible or find someone who will and gift it to them.
We've got numerous cases of fools trying to sell Caribou dry meat on the internet on local classifieds and it makes me sick. They wanna make money off of the natural resources? Should probably fire up the chainsaw and just sell cords of wood.
Point being is that this is always gonna be an issue in this country, gonna be even more so now that the Metis have been given land use rights. My buddy who clearly has a ukrainian last name got his and he gets $200 from the metis alliance organization just to show up to a damn dinner. Tax payers dollars put to work right there.
I guided a bear camp,with a 3million acre allocation--Northern Ontario.This was excellant moose country.But very rare to see a moose,winter and spring hunting,The moose pop just couldnt take it.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:55 AM

Default same as wolves

Move into an area deplete it of game .....move on.........repeat.Nothing new here.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:28 PM

Default Moose

Quote:
Move into an area deplete it of game .....move on.........repeat.Nothing new here.
Yes in deed,I did see cow moose hung up in april--I did move on disgusted----