Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 PM

Question Reloading for others.

I was asked by a relative of mine to reload some loads for him for his 7 mm magnum. I, without thinking, said sure that it wouldn't be a problem. Now thinking about it I am not sure if it would be a such a good idea. I am worried that he might have a misfire or totally miss an animal and blame the reload. I am confident with my reloading ability and in the years of reloading have never had a problem. Do you guys reload for others? I love reloading and will probably go ahead and do it but wanted a second opinion.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 PM

I reload for a couple buddies...sorta. I get them to buy the components they and tell them to come over. I go through the process with them and let them actually do the work. One it shows them what It's all about and take responsibilty away from me. I also make them buy the beer so we can have a few cold ones when we are done.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 PM

That is a great idea. That way it exposes someone new to reloading who might pick up the hobby.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 PM

It also protects you from liability..god forbid you messed up and injured someone or wrecked their rifle. It also shows them the work involved and the process of building the load for the rifle in question. I make sure to be very deliberate and make them check every thing twice, specially when weighing and charging powder.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 AM

Smile

I do not reload for anybody.
But I offer for them to come over and I will show them how to do reload .
So far no takers to my offer.
Then they offer to pay me to reload for them .
Then I tell them I don't have manufacturing license or liability insurance .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 03-29-2011, 12:45 AM

The more I think about it is if they are interested in me showing them while I over see what is going on I have no problems with it. That way you know they are really interested rather then taking advantage of me in order to save a buck.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
The more I think about it is if they are interested in me showing them while I over see what is going on I have no problems with it. That way you know they are really interested rather then taking advantage of me in order to save a buck.
i always telll them to buy the components and i'll show them how to do it. Like you said...that way theyre responsible for the outcome.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:53 AM

I reload for a couple of my pals but it's a joint effort how ever, They came over with their guns we figured out their rates of twist and all that jazz and then started small and worked up accurate load for their guns, they each keep all their reloading data so that I don't get it mixed up with any of mine, They buy all their components as well. It's worked out well over the years. I only reload for one rifle at a time from start to finish even though they shoot the same caliber. I only do small batces for them, usually 20 or so at a time, just enough for them to go to the range, zero in and still have enough left over for deer season.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 AM

The gentleman I reloaded with had me measure all the powder , check the lengths , and try each one in my gun . No issues and I learned quite a bit , saved some cash , and it all worked out pretty good for me .
Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 AM

i reload for two of my relatives, theres not a problem with it but i do understand your concern and others, if someone does something stupid with their firearm and your ammo it should not be your fault but theirs, everything is liability these days , its a grey area
Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 PM

Is it against the law (if there are laws) to reload for someone? Once at my range, someone mentioned something to that effect, but I failed to ask his source.
I reload for many friends and enjoy doing it. I also get to shoot their rifles and basically practice/tune the rounds before I hand them a box of 50. It gives me utmost satisfaction to know that a freind will have confidence in his rounds when the opportunity of a lifetime comes up. I try to give their reloads the same treatment I give mine and so far, so good.

Here is the list I have done so far: 17 FB, 222R, 223R, 22-250R, 24W3, 260 Rem, 264 WM, 270W, 270 WSM, 7-08, 7 RM, 308W, 06, 300WSM, 300 WBY, 338WM.

CH
Old 03-31-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
BINGO!!!Hit the nail on the head!Not that the liability issue is a small thing either, but for the amount of times I've been asked to DO someone's reloading,it seems as noted above, they mostly just want to save a buck at my expense.I will make time to show someone how to do it safely on my equipment with their time, components, and effort. Same for casting.

I have a wonderful young family and a job, fiinding time to do my own reloading etc. can be tough.I won't waste what little time I have on people who don't care to put in a bit of time and effort for themselves.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonehuntin' View Post
BINGO!!!Hit the nail on the head!Not that the liability issue is a small thing either, but for the amount of times I've been asked to DO someone's reloading,it seems as noted above, they mostly just want to save a buck at my expense.I will make time to show someone how to do it safely on my equipment with their time, components, and effort. Same for casting.

I have a wonderful young family and a job, fiinding time to do my own reloading etc. can be tough.I won't waste what little time I have on people who don't care to put in a bit of time and effort for themselves.
I also think there is a bit of pride in making your own handloads that are fine tuned and successful in your rifle.

A 500yrd target from my .270win with my handloads....

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/...s/P1010162.jpg

Lefty
Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 PM

Very nice shooting!! Yup, there is measure of pride in a job well done.