Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-30-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Sure lets talk about potential energy of the bullet and its ability to create a hydrostatic shock wave through an animal. You want to lead on this one since you brought it up? I'm very interested in the killing power of different styles of bullets as reconciled through their potential energy.
It was an exercise to poke holes in your explanation of physics. Not much left to discuss to move this thread forward with your last repsonse so good luck.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
209x50 your confused about this too. A motionless bullet can have energy, its called potential energy. Your making broad generalizations by using poor terminology. To correct your statement a motionless bullet has no kinetic energy.
sigh.....i hate myself for getting involved.....but......

a bullet would not have potential energy....the powder would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Does that mean the clueless are potentially intelligent?
geez chuck.....thats pretty good right there. you be careful or next thing you know 209 is gonna wanna meet for coffee and hang out with you.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Because a bullet going off is not a bomb (the energy of the bullet is focused on a frontal plain where it leaves the barrel), its a focused projectile that is contained in a chamer with a single exit...pull the trigger, primer creates small explosion, explosion ignites power, power burns rapidly building pressure, pressure has no where to go but out single exit, in front of pressure is bullet, bullet move down barrel with little grooves called rifling, this rifling engages bullet as it moves down barrel, bullet starts to spin which helps to stabilize it, bullet is being pushed by gases caused by explosion, when bullet exits barrel it is at a speedy velocity until it finds rest where ever it was aimed.

Sorry if I seem short but you just don't get it.....

Lefty
lefty.....you are missing the point here and it seems that some are having some fun with you. let me fill you in on the joke.........

what do you think recoil is? the lightbulb over your head is gonna flick on in the next couple of seconds.....
Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
sigh.....i hate myself for getting involved.....but......

a bullet would not have potential energy....the powder would.

A bullet in a drawn slingshot would have potential energy
Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
A bullet in a drawn slingshot would have potential energy
the bullet would? isnt the potential energy stored in the rubber which upon release would be transferred to the bullet.

you get a lightbulb too.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
It was an exercise to poke holes in your explanation of physics. Not much left to discuss to move this thread forward with your last repsonse so good luck.
Well then you better try again, you'll get something right eventually.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
lefty.....you are missing the point here and it seems that some are having some fun with you. let me fill you in on the joke.........

what do you think recoil is? the lightbulb over your head is gonna flick on in the next couple of seconds.....
What do you think the "potential" of him figuring this out is?
K, I just had to!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Well duh, I get the "equal or opposite reaction" is the recoil....I figured I didnt need to put an explanation into that as well....

Clearly there is no more constructive responses here....and this thread got WAAAY of topic from it original intent, I tried to steer it back but was unsuccessful. We can all kill our animals and interpret what happens our own ways apparently. Said it before and I'll say it again, "dead is dead"

....just like this thread....

Lefty

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-31-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Well duh, I get the "equal or opposite reaction" is the recoil....I figured I didnt need to put an explanation into that as well....

Lefty
Can you? I'm all ears waiting to find out why that killer hydrostatic shockwave flips the switch on game but not you when you create it. Go ahead inform me.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Can you? I'm all ears waiting to find out why that killer hydrostatic shockwave flips the switch on game but not you when you create it. Go ahead inform me.
Rifle recoil is most simply explained by Newton's First and Second Laws of Motion. When a rifle is fired, a force is exerted on the bullet that projects it forward. By Newton's 1st Law, it can be inferred that an opposite force will be imposed on the rifle. From Newton's 2nd Law it can be deduced that this force can cause an acceleration (linear or angular) which results in velocity and therefore kinetic energy. Energy is also transferred into the marksman in the form of work, the total of this energy is called Recoil Energy.

A bullet weight is alot less than the weight of a rifle and the shooter combined, orders of magnitude less....thats why

....I'm spent....no more need to inform the already informed/uninformed right?

by my last post you should have got it but clearly you don't read posts you just like to poke an antagonize and hide behind the guise you are all knowing but you never have offered any concrete evidence to support your cause,

When will the troll be fed? I don't know but I am no longer feeding the troll.

Lefty

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-31-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
....I'm spent....no more need to inform the uninformed right?

by my last post you should have got it but clearly you don't read posts you just like to poke an antagonize and hide behind the guise you are all knowing but you never have offered any concrete evidence to support your cause,

When will the troll be fed? I don't know but I am no longer feeding the troll.

Lefty
Now, now such rudeness from you is very unbecoming. Perhaps it is just frustration at your inability to put your thoughts down orderly in a post and makes sense. If that is the case then I apologize for calling you rude. Your posts are rather convoluted and hard to follow.

I prod you simply to help you expand your mind. If you were to research the question you find a lot of answers that you seek.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:50 AM

LOL, I don't need a scolding from an internet random...condescending passive aggressive behaviour is rude as well...I do appreciate the friendly banter though.

Lefty

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-31-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
LOL, I don't need a scolding from an internet random...condescending passive aggressive behaviour is rude as well...I do appreciate the friendly banter though.

Lefty
Good, I enjoy friendly banter as well. LOL!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
What do you think the "potential" of him figuring this out is?
K, I just had to!
am i in bizzaro world? lololol.

i think he has a decent understanding of whats going on here.....just hasnt quite got it in the right order. another page or two and he'll get it straight.