Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2020, 01:50 PM

Default Shaw vs Telus Internet Speed

I'm a Telus customer. Wife commented this morning that she wants me to see if I can save some money on our monthly bills. Called Shaw to see what they could do. They offered me a savings over Telus of $940/year for the same services.

When I called Telus to see what they would do, they offered me $20 off a month. Woot Woot!

Then because he knew there was little to nothing more he could do, he started rambling on about shared internet line service with the neighbors with Shaw vs their dedicated fiber optik line.

For you Shaw customers, do you notice a slow down between 6-11 pm with your internet service?

Note: I currently have Telus Optik 150 and would be getting Shaw Bluecurve 300

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:17 PM

We just switched to shaw. I think telus advertised 50mbps and shaw was 300mbps. We didn't have fiber optics tho.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:19 PM

Forgot to add that we just watch netflix or youtube. We don't really download anything. So I didn't notice any difference
Old 01-03-2020, 02:58 PM
Banned

I use a Shaw reseller and I pay about $30/month. No total data cap. Never had any problems, and I'm on the internet for 10 hours a day. Unless you are doing professional gaming or streaming HD video on 8 devices simultaneously, nobody needs the ultra fast speeds or high bandwidth they are selling these days. It's just a way to get more $ out of your pocket.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:03 PM

We have it--love it--especially the way I can shut down all kids internet at the push of a button--we have 600 megs--works perfect--no slowdown at peak hours--ps4, 2-3 phones all going at same time--unlimited data too

Last edited by Justfishin73; 01-03-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepasture View Post
I use a Shaw reseller and I pay about $30/month. No total data cap. Never had any problems, and I'm on the internet for 10 hours a day. Unless you are doing professional gaming or streaming HD video on 8 devices simultaneously, nobody needs the ultra fast speeds or high bandwidth they are selling these days. It's just a way to get more $ out of your pocket.
Which company are you using?
Old 01-03-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I'm a Telus customer. Wife commented this morning that she wants me to see if I can save some money on our monthly bills. Called Shaw to see what they could do. They offered me a savings over Telus of $940/year for the same services.

When I called Telus to see what they would do, they offered me $20 off a month. Woot Woot!

Then because he knew there was little to nothing more he could do, he started rambling on about shared internet line service with the neighbors with Shaw vs their dedicated fiber optik line.

For you Shaw customers, do you notice a slow down between 6-11 pm with your internet service?

Thanks in advance.
I noticed on the shaw website that you can get a $200 credit (says online only) if you get the tv internet package.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Thanks in advance.
We switched to telus two years ago after they put in fibre optic.... not a lick of speed difference, and im paying out the nose. Contract up right away and im going back to shaw. Close to $900 a year ill save.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Which company are you using?
X2 and where r u located.

That's a good price!

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2020, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post

That's a good price!

I will PM you. Others welcome to PM me for more info about the reseller I use.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post

That's a good price!

Speed at $30 is 15Mbps
$43 at 30Mbps

Not sure what speed a person truly needs.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:07 PM

99.99% of the people won't see a lick of difference as your actual data (internet, upload, etc..) speeds are likely limited to you device - not your provider. At this point we are drinking from a fire hose.

I have Shaw - zero complaints, and up until my son finished school and moved out , he was running multiple computers and a server out of the home while the rest of us streamed movies, used the internet normally and had our devices going as usual without a sniff of slow down (speed) or capacity issues.

Shaw 300.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Speed at $30 is 15Mbps
$43 at 30Mbps

Not sure what speed a person truly needs.
Streaming video (such as Netflix) is the biggest consumer of bandwidth for a normal person. Most other uses of the internet are a drop in the bucket in comparison, so not even worth considering. They say that streaming HD video takes about 5Mbps. So I suspect you could have 2 people streaming on separate devices at the same time on 15Mbps, and 4 on 30Mbps.

We have 20Mbps. We should be able to stream on 3 devices at once I guess. We've never tried more than 2 as we don't watch much TV and when we do we all watch together, not separately. It all depends on your use case, but I suspect the majority of people are paying for way more than they need.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:42 PM

With Telus right now. On fiber, with cable and internet 75 we pay $65/month.

After years of complaining I’m pretty happy with our pricing.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
99.99% of the people won't see a lick of difference as your actual data (internet, upload, etc..) speeds are likely limited to you device - not your provider. At this point we are drinking from a fire hose.

I have Shaw - zero complaints, and up until my son finished school and moved out , he was running multiple computers and a server out of the home while the rest of us streamed movies, used the internet normally and had our devices going as usual without a sniff of slow down (speed) or capacity issues.

Shaw 300.
The number of computers in use doesn't really add much load. General purpose computing or web browsing uses a drop in the bucket.

The bandwidth a server uses depends on what it's doing. For a web server for a hobby project, it's probably a drop in the bucket. However, upload speed is usually much lower than download speed on residential internet. Shaw 300 for instance has 300Mbps download but only 20Mbps upload speed.

The vast majority of people do not need Shaw 300 (300Mbps). I keep trying to tell certain relatives this but they think if the number of 10X higher for only 3X the price they must be getting a good deal. Unused capacity is just lost, wasted. If it takes 15Mbps to watch a 4K video stream, then you could watch 20 at once on 300Mbps. Or 60 at once for regular HD video. Never going to happen.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:00 PM
Banned

Two other comments I have:

1) If you're heavy user or streaming video, you will want a plan with unlimited monthly data. Most are nowadays, but worth confirming. The lower plans from Shaw still have a cap.

2) If you play the promos, change providers every year or two, call in and hound them for lower price, etc, then you can get as good a price from Shaw as the resellers offer. We used to do this, but got tired of it. I'd rather set it and forget it with a reseller. Hate being on a 2 year contract too as they're promoting now.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:09 PM

Anyone using Tech Savvy?

I am never going back to Shaw. Pulling the pin tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post

That’s a great price. Hopefully it doesn’t expire on you and price jumps up. Noticed the discounts have an expiry date which is at most two years. Something to keep an eye on.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Anyone using Tech Savvy?

I am never going back to Shaw. Pulling the pin tomorrow.
How come you are done with Shaw?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
That’s a great price. Hopefully it doesn’t expire on you and price jumps up. Noticed the discounts have an expiry date which is at most two years. Something to keep an eye on.
Yep mine expire every two years. But When it came time to renew I negotiated it for another 2 years.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Yep mine expire every two years. But When it came time to renew I negotiated it for another 2 years.
That’s what I did as well. Two years flies by when you don’t pay attention. Lol. Locked in my electricity again too as those prices are set to jump.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
How come you are done with Shaw?
Without exaggeration I’ve spent over 20 hrs for three years arguing with them as the up the price every few weeks and try to get away with it. Even when I have negotiated for set time limit. Also customer service is the worst or at least the same as Telus. Plain and simple is they’re crooks and I won’t give anymore money to them. Absolute liars...
Old 01-03-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Without exaggeration I’ve spent over 20 hrs for three years arguing with them as the up the price every few weeks and try to get away with it. Even when I have negotiated for set time limit. Also customer service is the worst or at least the same as Telus. Plain and simple is they’re crooks and I won’t give anymore money to them. Absolute liars...
So if you lock in the two year price, they can up it?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:41 PM

I have not been under contract for two years reason is because I was screwed over by them as they did go against the contract price. I am on a customer loyalty rate that should be good for 6 months. Instead they secretly for years (I sign up again every 6 months) raise the rates every few or couple of months. Then I spend hours literally hours fighting and going to different departments until I get back to the already negotiated rate. They never keep records of the calls I’ve had, the people or department talked to and it’s always starting at ground zero.
I’ve been too stupid to realize that this is exactly what they want to you just give up your precious time and they get their money.
I’m done with them. Going to the little guy next.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
So if you lock in the two year price, they can up it?
Shaw has a price guarantee so they won't raise your price if you're in a contract.

Shaw month-by-month has no price guarantee so they can (and do, in my experience) raise your price.

Note that Shaw's contracts are 2 years long but the price they advertise in big bold letters is only for 1 year. The second year is at a higher price, and you're still locked in. Then, if you forget to switch right at the end of the 2 years, you're paying an even higher price after that.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:26 AM

Shaw. Telus is trash and their customer service is terrible.
Anytime I've ever had an issue with Shaw, I can call and leave my number and they call me back (no waiting on hold for hours) or I can do a live chat with one of their reps immediately.

When I was with Telus, getting in touch with anyone from them was near impossible (unless you were trying to sign up, getting service once signed up is terrible)
Old 01-04-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:

X2, I switched over to Telus fiber optic 4 years ago and it's still cheaper than shaw for my bundle, plus for the first 12 months I only paid $10 / mo each for TV, Internet and home phone so saved over $130 / mo over what my shaw prices were, that 1st year saved $1560, now I pay the same as I would with shaw.

Plus I find it a royal PIA to switch over to a new carrier

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:30 AM

Been with TELUS for years, I’m not on a contract anymore, I have no complaint about internet and optic tv. But what I absolutely hate is if you want to change your tv package (remove channels) you have to call that in can’t be done on line, just add channels. And by calling in you’d be be on hold for ever, and I find their website is sucks.
In the summer I change everything to very basic tv as we never watch tv, just local news.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Been with TELUS for years, I’m not on a contract anymore, I have no complaint about internet and optic tv. But what I absolutely hate is if you want to change your tv package (remove channels) you have to call that in can’t be done on line, just add channels. And by calling in you’d be be on hold for ever, and I find their website is sucks.
In the summer I change everything to very basic tv as we never watch tv, just local news.
The technician that did the install would have left you a business card for this type of scenario. Call him/her and request the change, it will take effect in 2-24 hours.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:02 PM

Both Telus and Shaw will offer big savings to get you to switch. They like to sign you to a 2-or 3-year contract. When that contract is up, inquire with the other company, and if your current provider won't match, switch to the competitor for big savings again.

Neither company does much to match the other when the competitor is offering those crazy discounts to entice you to make the switch. If they offered those crazy deals to all customers (existing and new) all of the time, they would go broke. Both companies want new customers, and will give you the moon to switch.

As for speeds, Telus Pure Fibre is a more "dedicated" service potentially. All pathways, fibre, copper, or coax cable, eventually lead to some point of congestion, it's just a matter of how far back from the customer end this point of congestion is. In theory, the Telus Pure Fibre should be a strand of fibre straight back to the office equipment, so should be almost dedicated, that part is true.

In saying all of this, I have been a customer of both and did not see a difference. In theory, Shaw could be slower at peak times than Telus fibre, but I've not experienced that.

Hope this helps!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives