Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2019, 12:48 PM

Default How Prepared Are You While Traveling?

The thread about hooking up recovery straps got me thinking as to how unprepared some people really are. I know where my spare tire, locking lug nut key, and jack are, and I do check my spare tire periodically. I actually looked for the tow eye in my SUV, to make sure it was there. I do carry a tow strap, and two shackles. I also carry a small compressor, to top up a slow leak, or a low spare should it happen. I carry a snow brush, and a shovel at all times. I do carry basic tools, and I can charge my phone from my vehicle. I do carry an axe, and a lighter, in case I am stranded in the bush, and need to start a fire.
Some people carry even more in their vehicle,and are even better prepared, but some people can't even change a tire, because they don't know where the jack or locking lug nut key is or they had a flat, and never bothered to fix the tire or put the jack or lug nut key, back in their vehicle.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:12 PM

Great post!

Its amazing how many people have no idea WHERE their spare is, let alone how to change it.

Also, how often the drop down spares mechanism will seize up or the tire is flat.

In my personal truck I carry what you have listed besides the compressor and axe. (hatchet under the back seat).

I also carry-
A jack-all with a clevis on one end a hook on the other (can be used to winch)
2x8" blocking.
Reese solid 2" hitch with as big of load rated clevis as I could fit.
Cordage/ extra ratchet straps
Booster cables (spare battery in the box)
Big zip ties, they are always handy.
Flashlight.
Home assembled firstaid kit (with 12 year old tums that need replaced)
Water, even frozen bottles under the seat in the winter.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:23 PM

Just pulled two young guys out yesterday. Decided to go 4x4 on a whim I guess. Running around in the ditch in their runners and fancy clothes. They had nothing. Passed them their end of the tow strap to hook up and they looked at me like I was crazy !!! Asked if they had tow hooks ? Answer was I don’t know. They did not. Started to pull them out and they had no idea how to even steer out of the ditch. They had a blazer and I had my diesel. Rather than explain it to them I steered the other way and drug them out anyways. On a good note they were very thankful.

I keep a tote full of straps and hooks and other sorts to pull people out. Also keep a shovel and have first aid and travel kit. Couple blankets and a bunch of tools. I also have a few odds and ends to patch up tires to replacement alt and block off tool for broken injection lines.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:14 PM

In My truck
10 k winch set up to pull from front or rear
Shovel
Axe
40' chain
2 40' tow straps
3 shackels
Pull pal
Tire chains
Booster cables
Matches/ lighter
Tire patch kit
Compressor
Lift all
4x6 blocks 16" long x2
Wheel straps for the lift all
Breaker bar
Torque wrench
First aid kit
Flares
Phone charger
And other random items

In family suv
Tire patch
Tiny shovel
30' tow strap
Track grabber
Compressor
Booster cables
Candles
Matches/ lighter
Blanket
First aid kit
Flares
Phone charger
Old 12-31-2019, 03:28 PM

This fall Took me 1 hour to figure out where to locate & remove necessary equipment and how to use it to change a tire on my new truck. No help in sight, as Was in a Pretty lonely, remote part of our farming community, and with very poor cell phone service.

And Are tires getting heavier or what was it that Made me feel like I’m getting too old for this stuff.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:36 PM

Shovel
chain and straps
rope Capstan wwith 400' of rope
jackall
axe
first aid kit
compressor
booster cables
sleeping bag
other assorted stuff in the jockey box
Cat
Old 12-31-2019, 05:09 PM

I’m usually reasonable prepared for driving around the city. There’s always heavy gloves and a toque in my car year round. I add my winter boots, parka, a blanket and a shovel when it gets cold. I know where my spare, jack and lug nut key are and can change my tire if I need to.

If I’m out on the highway I grab my field bag that is full of survival and emergency items - lighter, kindle, light sticks, knife, hand warmers, personal first aid kit, emergency blankets, bivy bag, blanket, toque, mitts, neck warmer, socks, duct tape, hay wire, screw driver and a hammer. It all fits in a back pack and weighs about 30 pounds. Been carrying this since I got my first vehicle many moons ago.

Years ago I was traveling across Saskatchewan one cold night with my daughter who was just under 2 at the time and my vehicle broke down. I got to a gas station on the side of the road where we spent the night. I had enough stuff in my bag that we were comfortable until morning.

You can never be too prepared.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:06 PM

Toolbox in the back of the truck with pretty much every thing you can think of packed away. Even a box of two year old granola bars. Always have a 10 lb fire extinguisher as well. A 20 lb would be better but takes up a lot of space in the box and gets stolen if not locked up. A 2 ton Tirfor and snatch block and a 48" jackall as well but have never needed them "yet".
Old 12-31-2019, 06:19 PM

As I get older, more and more things begin to accumulate in my truck when I'm going on a long trip. I also do a fair amount of travel out in the middle of nowhere and I've learned over the years.

Along with many of the items a few contributors posted - I have a few others ...

Paracord, Duct Tape, WD40, silicone spray, magnets, folding saw. Even bring the chain saw, torch, tarp and a small pick axe on more remote trips.

Some boards (for leveling the jack or raising it up). Extra bottle jacks and Jack/Stand combo, cable come along, snipe, trash bags, moving blanket, flashlight, rubber mat.

Along with an axe, shovel and some tools, I keep these in one soft tool bag, and 2 larger milk crates that I can quickly slide into my box before a trip.

Recently I was meeting my cousin for a day of fishing at Gull (He's in Calgary and I'm in Edmonton) and towing my boat, I got a flat. Some of those things would have helped for sure, but it was one of the very few times I took off (in a hurry) without being fully prepared. Still laugh about it ..... there are so many trips this gear remains packed and unused, on far worse roads, further away from civilization. lol.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:27 PM

- About 60lbs of tools
- Work gloves
- Temperature gun, Ohm meter, OBD scanner tool
- 2 little containers of different nuts/bolts
- 2 little bins of all sorts of electrical connectors, O-rings, hay wire, zip ties, clamps.
- Booster Cables
- Spare engine oil, Brake fluid, anti freeze
- Gasket maker, JB weld
- Micro torch & solder
- Different sizes of spare radiator hoses.
- 1 stop leak radiator bottle, 1 head gasket stop leak bottle.
- Spare serpentine belt
- 5 Tire plugs, 1 bottle green slime
- Starter (learned lesson)
- Alternator (learned lesson)

If traveling more than 300kms I throw in:
-20 more lbs of tools
- 1 set of dirty clothes
-Fuel Pump (learned lesson)
-Water pump (learned lesson)
Old 12-31-2019, 06:44 PM

Lube, tissues and a corkscrew
Old 12-31-2019, 07:38 PM

Nobody mentioned a gun.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly’s Mom View Post
I’m usually reasonable prepared for driving around the city. There’s always heavy gloves and a toque in my car year round. I add my winter boots, parka, a blanket and a shovel when it gets cold. I know where my spare, jack and lug nut key are and can change my tire if I need to.

If I’m out on the highway I grab my field bag that is full of survival and emergency items - lighter, kindle, light sticks, knife, hand warmers, personal first aid kit, emergency blankets, bivy bag, blanket, toque, mitts, neck warmer, socks, duct tape, hay wire, screw driver and a hammer. It all fits in a back pack and weighs about 30 pounds. Been carrying this since I got my first vehicle many moons ago.

Years ago I was traveling across Saskatchewan one cold night with my daughter who was just under 2 at the time and my vehicle broke down. I got to a gas station on the side of the road where we spent the night. I had enough stuff in my bag that we were comfortable until morning.

You can never be too prepared.
And my AMA card! Never leave home without it!
Old 12-31-2019, 07:46 PM

Portable jump starter - saved my bacon a couple times.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:50 PM
Banned

-basic tool kit (wrenches, screwdrivers and pliers)
-tow strap (20')
-come along
-shovel
-traction mats
-rechargeable boost battery (with today's computer in car I'm not about to damage my car giving someone a boost...this way I can help them out and not damage my computer)
-first aid kit
Old 12-31-2019, 10:29 PM

I carry some basic stuff like jumper cables and a shovel. The big one for me is not breaking down in the middle of nowhere or going into the ditch and catching hypothermia.

When travelling out of the city I try and throw in 3nough sleeping bags for everyone to cuddle under and make sure I have all the clothing required to safely work outside to get us unstuck or walk to assistance.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:33 AM

I’ve always had a great amount of items and thought put in my truck. Extra winter gloves, toque, neck warmer, extra sweater, blanket. Tools I have a socket set, couple knives, jack all, shovel, axe, 16’ booster cables, 30’- 4” tow strap, 2 shackles, a 3 way hitch. Other extra items are lighter, 2 flashlights accessible by passenger and driver, spork, pens, markers, note pads, electrical tape, first aid kit for up to 12 people, 2 headlamps, binos, a firearm of some sort and ammo. Right now happens to be a .22 because of trapping. The one knife I have is for first responders with a window breaker and seat belt cutter built in (which is located by me incase I need to cut myself out or jump out and assist in an accident), a leatherman wave, and a simple fixed blade. A lot of this gear is stored in Molle pouches on the back of the front seats. I also carry a backpack with socks and cordage in it, but if I need to leave the truck it has molle and 90% of the stuff I have in my truck can go in or on my bag.

Even in my trailers, each trailer has a tool box with a jack in it, tools to change a flat etc. Then anyone who borrows the trailer is prepared. Just makes life easier.

It depends what vehicle I have also, if I’m in my older diesel I carry more tools for mechanical purposes, and extra diesel. I’m also a first aider and that helps a lot to know for a lot of situations. I don’t have kids yet but I know when they start driving they’ll be very well taught to help someone or themselves to fix flats or basic vehicle maintenance. Great thread everyone’s list can ba catered to each persons life style. Never hurts to be prepared as best you see fit for everyday life.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:54 AM

Great ideas, I'll have to add a few things. An additional old guy thing; I have removed and discarded all of our family's locking lug nut and replaced with a traditional "correct to the Vehicle" lug nut. I did discover the Honda had a "specific to Honda" tapered profile on their lug nuts. No more searching for the key.

i have also discarded the trailers lug nuts, they were a "smaller' lug nut covered in a cheap metal shiny "jacket", that would twist off in a pinch. I bought machined one piece replacements and installed those. That lesson was hard earned!!
Old 01-01-2020, 11:52 PM

I carry just about everything already mentioned.

One thing for people with locking lug nuts, when you take your car/truck/SUV into the shop, leave the key sitting in the console or on the passenger seat.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to spend time searching for it or the strange things I've found while looking for it!
Old 01-02-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Lube, tissues and a corkscrew
Cherry Whiskey or Lemon Gin don't require that you bring a corkscrew.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:55 AM
Banned

Default D'oh

Apparently not prepared at all! Last week I went to the city and experienced a front-left tire blow out about 20 k from home just as the sun was dropping below the horizon. My spare and jack were sitting on the driveway at home. Lucky to have remembered my mobile phone.

Free
Old 01-03-2020, 03:51 PM

The usual- warm clothes, tow strap, booster cables, candle, extra boots,etc,etc

The extra worth mentioning is mindset. When traveling in bad weather awareness is key. Almost always stay with the vehicle!

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Edmund Burke
Old 01-03-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

The corkscrew is only used to skewer the used tissues without touching them

Yuckafa
Old 01-03-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I don't know what it say about me, but I got sick on both of those beverages in high school. Never drank either again.

I could also say that about many other too. LOL.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:44 PM

Just as others have said, I carry most of that, I have traction mats, a 30 ft tow strap, sand in pails with salt, so they don't freeze, and a tote that has tea, hot chocolate and cookies and water jugs and a jet boil to boil the water and give me heat, and a battery bank with my phone cord, this all fits in a small rubber made action packer, which I keep inside then put it in the truck when heading out.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:07 PM
Banned

In case of flat tire:
jack, lug nuts, spare tire, 9V air compressor

In case of dead battery:
booster cables

In case of shot radiator:
container that could hold water

In case of shot alternator:
know how to bump start

In case of anything worse:
AMA phone number, blanket and winter gear when it's below zero

Have had all of the above happen. Only needed to get towed home once so far, knock on wood, for something unrepairable on the road.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:49 PM

I have a big Delta box that contains, bottle jack, Stanley300 piece socket set, assorted screwgees (screw drivers) and pliers, countless tow, recovery straps & rope, jug of anti freeze, jug of water, jug of drinking water, 20 Liter slim Jerry can full of gas, spare rad hoses and serpintene belt, small Coleman single burner stove with a small pot and a bunch of Ichiban noodles, lots of extra warm clothing, tire plug kit, built in air compressor with 2 tanks, awesome winter boots & insulated coveralls, small sunflower heater with a 5Lb propane bottle, rolled up foamie for sleeping on, rediculously thick winter sleeping bag, portable baofeng (sp) ham radio, CB radio, Noco battery booster (biggest one they make) 2 or 3 GOOD flashlights, not crappy ones and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. Truck has a winch and enough lighting to land large aircraft.

A lot of that only goes in when I'm hitting the highway, except lots of ratchet straps and all my recovery gear, that stays with me all winter.

I could spend 4 or 5 days in the back of my truck (has a canopy) in -40 if I had too. Sure hope I never have to test that theory.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:15 PM

Has anyone tried those 'zip tie' type of tire 'chains' or traction aids that go around the tire and rim, and you cut them off when you're done with them? Are they worth it in our climate?
Old 01-03-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Has anyone tried those 'zip tie' type of tire 'chains' or traction aids that go around the tire and rim, and you cut them off when you're done with them? Are they worth it in our climate?
No, but tried the Trac-Grabber on a 2014 Dodge.
The straps just about rubbed through by touching a portion of the brake mounts within a couple hundred yards.
What ever you use, test it first.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
The usual- warm clothes, tow strap, booster cables, candle, extra boots,etc,etc

The extra worth mentioning is mindset. When traveling in bad weather awareness is key. Almost always stay with the vehicle!
Up to this point has been a number of entries on trucks.

A Honda Civic won't fit a jack-all..haha

Add to rope1; drinks, simple candy bars/energy bars, full bag/box of new hand warmers (I am not sold on the whole candle idea) and a duffel bag full of awareness and common sense....

Oh yes your AMA card.

Not everyone is as courteous as some of our members here on AO, and to them alone; thanks.

Drive safe.