Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2016, 10:24 PM

Default Cost to replace a heater core???

Looks like the heater core is fried on my daughter's car. Steam was blowing through floor vent this afternoon, and when I checked the carpet, the passenger side carpet was soaked with coolant.

I've never had to repair one in my life. Ballpark what am I looking at for a 2010 Ford Focus?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:39 PM

In these small modern cars, and well many trucks now, they take a heater core and build the vehicle around it. If she isn't partial to the car, join the two hoses together at the fire wall and sell it

I am not familiar with that specific year, my girlfriend had one several years ago which was a 2005, the dash needed to be removed, to do that required the steering column being dropped, tucked way inside behind the dash was a HVAC box, sealed within that was the $80 heater core. The box needed to be spilt, then resealed, most shops will only replaced the HVAC box complete and charge 4 times as much for the parts.

Labour time on your own, 4-5 hours to do it properly. I cannot imagine they made it any easier to do on a 2010. A shop will likely quote you $1500.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:43 PM

They were royal pains in the butt to change in the 70's and 80's model cars & trucks and they had a lot of room under the dash. Remove her glove box door and see if you can see it and gauge the work needed. May be better to pay a shop otherwise your pulling the seat and laying on your back for a possible tool throwing repair lol.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:48 PM

Big Job.....
Old 05-06-2016, 10:58 PM

I'm fairly sure you need to remove the dash to get to the core. That will be a few hours of labor. If you handy you can check youtube for a how too video and do it yourself. The core itself shouldn't be more than $200, probably closer to the $75 mark at Napa. If your going to a shop I would expect to pay $500+.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-06-2016, 11:21 PM

Been a while since I've done one . Dash out and heater box assembly as well. Not a fun job. Can't remember exactly the procedure but I think it was harder than it should have been. Trying to access manuals but can't get in.

Phone around to get quotes.Cheapest quote may not be the best. Can do yourself as well. I think all data has factory service manuals for sale online.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:30 AM

Had mine done this year on a 2010 Dodge Nitro, I paid $840 all in. I've got a good mechanic (that i trust and who charges for actual labour) - when i googled how much others had paid to have this done though, the average price seemed to be closer to $1200. I know my guy said he managed to get to the heater core without removing the entire dash (saving a couple hours work), so it was 6 hours labour instead of 8.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:48 PM

Performed this wonderful job on my wifes 98 Cavalier. Quoted $1100 for the job.
Core was less than $100. Thought I'd save the money..
Of course, this all transpired in my unheated garage during a Feb. -30 week.

Not fun. Two full days of scratched hands and unusual postures. Not sure it was money well saved.

The car is built around the core. It's ugly.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:39 PM

They are calling for 1.5hrs labor. So must be a pretty easy one to do
Old 05-12-2016, 07:00 AM

chilton says 1.5 hr at that time probably accesed from engine compartment.