Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2011, 10:45 PM

Default 2008 Dodge Diesel Turbocharger

How many people have the 2008 Dodge 2500/3500 diesel and have been having problems with the turbocharger and carbon build up. I took mine in for the 4th time and they just keep cleaning it, they will not change or fix the problem until the truck throws a certain code, which i am sure will be the first day off waranty!! So frustrated with the dealer, Courtesy Chyrsler in Calgary, and Drumheller Chrysler, both are useless!!!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 AM

The VGT actuator gets carboned from the EGR, it is a common problem on Cummins from small to large engines. The next progression will be a plugged DPF.
and they have had some issues with the aftertreatment injector. From what I have heard all the diesels regardless of brand have EGR/VGT/dpf issues since 2007. I only know what I have seen with Cat & Cummins, neither is any better than the other. From what I've seen the 5.9 doesn't have as many problems as often as the bigger ones do, but, the same ones. They say with the SCR engines they reduced the size of the EGR, but, it is a bit early to tell whether the consistency and frequency of the issues has reduced yet. And the SCR engines have some added issues of a different nature.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 AM

Check out Diesel Truck Resource. Those guys have a wealth of info and knowledge there. Usually way more than a dealer...
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 AM

We keep doing the same with the fords by cleaning the turbos and the EGR valves. this is a big problem if you idle them lots and driving around town on short trips is killer on them they need to be worked hard and driven on the highway.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
We keep doing the same with the fords by cleaning the turbos and the EGR valves. this is a big problem if you idle them lots and driving around town on short trips is killer on them they need to be worked hard and driven on the highway.
Bingo
Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Unfortunately those VGT turbo's need to be worked so the carbon doesn't build up in them.Has it had all of the new flashes done to the computer? The other option would be to do a delete of the pollution controls all together, which would also cancel your remaining warranty. However the mileage gain might make it worhtwhile.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 AM

Yeah about that idle time. Thats what the dealer told me. However, I do about 50 mins highway each and every day, and don't idle hardly. I also pull a 14' cargo trailor loaded with tools, probably weighs 8k pds. They printed a report off for work rate % and it showed this, usually about 25% @ 60. When I took it the first time, the mechanic did a recal to do with the turbo and told me personally that my turbo will be hooped, Dodge just doesn't want to change them!! Guarantee first day off warranty, bing new turbo on my dollar.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 AM

I have an 08 6.7 cummins and I've unplugged the EGR module to help with this. I've had it unplugged for a year now and no issues with 140 000km on it. I drive around town a lot and get the "Cat full - 80%" msg on the overhead. All you gotta do is drive it hard for about 30 min. on the Hwy to clear it. Not sure if this helps - BUT don't ever let the cat reach 100% full!

I recommend you join the cumminsforum.com...it's a great resource.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:35 AM

Delete the DPF and EGR and you will be way happier. I did mine and love having the extra power and a cleaner engine. No more worries about a partially plugged egr or dpf and the cost is minimal. Most of the work can be done your self if your a little handy with tools.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 AM

Working these engines is not the answer. More power usually means more carbon. Getting rid of the DPF/EGR/ other crap is the answer.

The problem is these systems suck. All the testing they did was in a controlled enviroment. That means they used a certain fuel, certain temps certain weights, certain driving techniques, etc. To come up with their reliabilty and longivity tests. Trust me they tried many different variables before using their ideal ones.

The real world where guys drive their trucks regulary every day, shut the thing off turn it on multiple times a day, stop and go traffic, hook a trailer on on, hook it off. Seems to be outside of the engineers test parameters.

I have a friend who hauls SuperBs he has 5 trucks, two of them are new Kenworths, he is haveing the same problem with his big trucks, they carbon up turbos and egr system. They spend almost as much time in the shop as they do on the road. His trucks are worked hard and never shut down. Yet he is told his trucks are abused thats why they are carboning up. Operating outside of their intended use. KW spec'd the trucks themselves.

Two out if his 5 are new KW, 2 are FL's and one a WS. His three older trucks all have DT60s in them, simple reason DPF delete and milage has gone up and his problems with carboned up turbos is non existant.

So short sweet of it, get rid of the DPF/EGF/emmissions equipment.

If your truck has this problem multiple times then get ahold of CAMVAP file a complaint and hopefully they can help.

Any of the vehicle manufacturers will try what ever they can to get out of fixing their equipment. Especially if it is a reocurring problem. Even though thousands of others have no issues, they will always put the blame on the one person who does, and not on their equipment.

Good luck and pursue this matter further.