Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2017, 08:01 PM

Default Smoker/Grills

So Louisiana Grill or Traeger. And used for all purposes, from low and slow to hot grill marks on a steak.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo11 View Post
So Louisiana Grill or Traeger. And used for all purposes, from low and slow to hot grill marks on a steak.
Neither
Old 03-28-2017, 11:09 PM

I have a GMG (green mountain grills). I've only tried a traeger and much prefer mine. Got it from everything H2O in rocky mountain house 4 years ago. still works great.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:32 PM

I have a Traeger and cannot sear a steak. Louisiana Grills get about 75F hotter. That would likely make the difference. So between the 2, Louisiana Grill. I would look hard and long at higher end models however. When my Traeger dies I'm getting a Yoder.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo11 View Post
I have been doing a lot of research on this and finally decided on the Louisiana CS 570. As said above the Louisiana gets hotter, up to 600F. Also the head diffusion plate is movable so you can use direct flame to sear any meats you want.

If you want the best of the best though then buy a Yoder. But be prepared to spend $3000+
Old 03-29-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeacon View Post
I have a GMG (green mountain grills). I've only tried a traeger and much prefer mine. Got it from everything H2O in rocky mountain house 4 years ago. still works great.
Yep GMG are the way to go. wifi option is awesome.

Jim...
Old 03-29-2017, 08:41 AM

I have never looked into it, but does Louisiana grill have a cold smoker kit like my Traeger? That may be something to consider if you intend to do cold smoking. Something I have never thought of; I may get my Yoder and keep the Traeger too.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:58 PM

thread-jack alert! Just got a new house. Figured New house, new grilling set up is in store... One day I hope to do some competition cooking so this new unit will be the first step to starting to master the craft....

I've been looking at some of the different set ups and a ton of reading sites... alot of good debates on Pellet poopers vs offsets. Looks like OP has his heart set on a pellet machine, but from what I read they are great for ease of use but can be a bit limited... What is everyone else using? and why did you chose to go that way?

Personally, I am leaning towards going with a cheaper offset and doing some of my own mods to make the unit perform better.. IE an oklahoma joe's smoker. modify the smoke stack so it pulls smoke from grill height and not the top of the barrel (more smoke bathing the meat). add baffle plates below the grill to more evenly dispurse heat and smoke across barrel. make the opening between firebox and barrel adjustable. build a charcoal basket.... figure a unit like this will make due until I can afford to upgrade to a bigger unit.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I have never looked into it, but does Louisiana grill have a cold smoker kit like my Traeger? That may be something to consider if you intend to do cold smoking. Something I have never thought of; I may get my Yoder and keep the Traeger too.
Yes they do
Old 03-29-2017, 02:36 PM

Great thread. I have been looking at all these different BBQ's for about 6 months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I have a Traeger and cannot sear a steak. Louisiana Grills get about 75F hotter. That would likely make the difference. So between the 2, Louisiana Grill. I would look hard and long at higher end models however. When my Traeger dies I'm getting a Yoder.
I am curious on why you want to go from a pellet style to an off-set smoker. I wanted an off-set smoker right off the bat but now leaning more towards a pellet style. I looked at GMG yesterday, nice unit.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
Great thread. I have been looking at all these different BBQ's for about 6 months now.

I am curious on why you want to go from a pellet style to an off-set smoker. I wanted an off-set smoker right off the bat but now leaning more towards a pellet style. I looked at GMG yesterday, nice unit.
Im too lazy for an offset smoker. When im doing an 18 hour brisket i dont want the task to consume my life or im tired of the darn thing before its time to eat it. Set it and forget it.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post

Not looking to go offset. Yoder makes pellet grills too. Good ones. Really good ones.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post

Personally, I am leaning towards going with a cheaper offset and doing some of my own mods to make the unit perform better.. IE an oklahoma joe's smoker. modify the smoke stack so it pulls smoke from grill height and not the top of the barrel (more smoke bathing the meat). add baffle plates below the grill to more evenly dispurse heat and smoke across barrel. make the opening between firebox and barrel adjustable. build a charcoal basket.... figure a unit like this will make due until I can afford to upgrade to a bigger unit.
Your idea of starting simple is not a bad idea. I dont get why people would blindly recommend the most expensive pellet grill out there for someone who may or may not utilize it enough to get value out of it or may not like them.

Louisiana utilized a convection style cook that evenly spreads the heat or smoke evenly through out their smokers. Sounds like thats what you want but with a few added options.

Thats what i like about louisiana is that you can add all sorts of accesories to one of their grills if you find your using it way more then you thought. Your not having to buy a whole new grill.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy21 View Post
Your idea of starting simple is not a bad idea. I dont get why people would blindly recommend the most expensive pellet grill out there for someone who may or may not utilize it enough to get value out of it or may not like them.

Louisiana utilized a convection style cook that evenly spreads the heat or smoke evenly through out their smokers. Sounds like thats what you want but with a few added options.

Thats what i like about louisiana is that you can add all sorts of accesories to one of their grills if you find your using it way more then you thought. Your not having to buy a whole new grill.
Thats the thing,,,,a pellet grill is ten times simpler than an offset smoker, and I certainly dont think its blindly at all, a yoder is hands down without a doubt a much higher quality than your entry level louisiana grill. Does your grill or traiger do the job to an acceptable level, most certainly, but its no yoder, are there better smokers than a yoder out there, yup. A top end Memphis is a better smoker without a doubt, for 3 grand more than a yoder, I even think a fast eddie is a better smoker for the same money as a yoder but hard to find a dealer. That being said I also think a rec tec,Mak are fine tools as well for a about the same or a little less than a yoder, GMG's are also better than a traiger or a Louisiana for about the same money.

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 03-29-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:30 PM

Did onion bombs on the traeger tonight. If you've never tried google them. Delicious. We used the actual traeger recipe
Old 03-30-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Did onion bombs on the traeger tonight. If you've never tried google them. Delicious. We used the actual traeger recipe
Yes they are delicious. The Traeger recipes are fantastic!!!
Old 03-30-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy21 View Post

Actually I recommended the Louisiana grill over the Traeger I own, I however mentioned people should look into a higher-end product as well. I wish someone had done this for me when I bought my Traeger. Now I spent half the cost of a Yoder on my Traeger and will have to spend that money again when or if the Traeger dies.

Its not always wiser to buy the cheapest or entry level of things. I subscribe to the buy once, cry once mentality.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:44 AM

Smoked food increases your risk of sticky fingers.

Eat some carrot sticks and save some money
Old 03-30-2017, 11:28 AM

Also, if you were inclined to go the Traeger route, I would wait for info on their brand new Timberline model that is coming out. I know it has more rack space and WiFi. Outside that I'm not sure about details of their new line-up.