Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 06:32 AM

On my first moose hunting trip, my dad shot a young moose in the hump which dropped at the shot. It was alive when we drove up to it. My crotchety old uncle did not want to fire a shot. In his world shots meant attracting game wardens and they were no good. So instead he grabs the sledge hammer out of the box of his truck and proceeds to beat that poor thing in the forehead until it appeared to be dead. We loaded it it into the truck and drove back to the farm. Darned if that thing weren't still alive. He still wouldn't let me shoot it. Out came the sledge hammer again... Oh my, PETA would not have liked that footage.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:29 AM

Default Point being

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Seems like those square heads put a significant amount of holes in the heads of British limies with the German Mauser.
What was your point?
These types of threads are pointless as the cartridge in question has over a 100 year proven track record.PS..for the record......the guys with the 8mm ..........lost ........twice! Harold
Old 03-16-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I can tell you that beyond a shadow of doubt, you can not kill a Moose with a Sledge hammer.

I also know they can charge after getting shot in the hump, and taking a couple of solid blows to the forehead, from a sledgehammer.
Yep, I know all too well that moose with no lungs and two broken shoulder blades can still find the strength to charge. I think that anyone who's hunted moose regularly has a close call story they can tell. We usually laugh it off, but I recently read an account of where the moose connected. The guy was eating through a tube for a couple months and was lucky to be alive. The moose died 50 yards from where he stomped the hunter.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-16-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
These types of threads are pointless as the cartridge in question has over a 100 year proven track record.PS..for the record......the guys with the 8mm ..........lost ........twice! Harold
But the second time they lost to the Russians, the guys with the .303's and 30-06's came to the party fashionably late so they could have a say on how things got carved up.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-16-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:31 AM

I have a 303 that I bought thru Sears Mailorder in the early 70's, it was manufactured in July of 1952 in Fazakurley England. Wheh I bought it had the peep site which I repalacd with a 4X scope. It came with a sporting stalk and sling. I use it every year for hunting, i have taken Deer, Moose and Bears without a problem. I have it zeroed in at 200 yards and have never lost an animal that I have shot. Why do I still use it, because I have never seen a need to get a new gun.PS it will shoot 150 and 180 grains equally well.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I have a 303 that I bought thru Sears Mailorder in the early 70's, it was manufactured in July of 1952 in Fazakurley England. Wheh I bought it had the peep site which I repalacd with a 4X scope. It came with a sporting stalk and sling. I use it every year for hunting, i have taken Deer, Moose and Bears without a problem. I have it zeroed in at 200 yards and have never lost an animal that I have shot. Why do I still use it, because I have never seen a need to get a new gun.PS it will shoot 150 and 180 grains equally well.
Be careful of a one rifle man....he fills the freezer every year!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I like this!
Old 03-16-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
On my first moose hunting trip, my dad shot a young moose in the hump which dropped at the shot. It was alive when we drove up to it. My crotchety old uncle did not want to fire a shot. In his world shots meant attracting game wardens and they were no good. So instead he grabs the sledge hammer out of the box of his truck and proceeds to beat that poor thing in the forehead until it appeared to be dead. We loaded it it into the truck and drove back to the farm. Darned if that thing weren't still alive. He still wouldn't let me shoot it. Out came the sledge hammer again... Oh my, PETA would not have liked that footage.
I'm about as far from peta as you can get.....but I wouldn't like that either. Not a good story.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
hum why a sledge hammer he didn't own a knife.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:08 AM

I was 14. He didn't want blood in truck. I didn't ask. He'd already told me to be quiet when I suggested a rifle. He was a grumpy, angry old man.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I was 14. He didn't want blood in truck. I didn't ask. He'd already told me to be quiet when I suggested a rifle. He was a grumpy, angry old man.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
ok I understand I'll have one of those Uncle's to. My uncle gets more miserable with age
Old 03-16-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
But the second time they lost to the Russians, the guys with the .303's and 30-06's came to the party fashionably late so they could have a say on how things got carved up.
I think you're confused, the guys with the 303's were there early .before the Russians (Actually the Russians were sided with Germany early in the war) The 30 06 boys however waited till Japan forced their hand
Old 03-16-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I can tell you that beyond a shadow of doubt, you can not kill a Moose with a Sledge hammer.

I also know they can charge after getting shot in the hump, and taking a couple of solid blows to the forehead, from a sledgehammer.
Mr. Keg, this sounds like you're speaking from experience. I'm dying to hear the rest of the story! Sounds like a gooder!

Please share

BW
Old 03-16-2017, 12:19 PM

I had a sporter No1 mkIII that was my only rifle for years . I took so many deer with that rifle and the majority of them running shots. I seem to be cursed when it comes to moose though, so I only ever took one calf moose and it was with that gun. I sold it to a AO member on here a few years back and always regretted it.If you are the one who bought it I would love to get it back. I bought and sold a lot of guns over the years but the only ones I really miss are the 303's, that one and a No5 Jungle carbine .
Old 03-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Mr. Keg, this sounds like you're speaking from experience. I'm dying to hear the rest of the story! Sounds like a gooder!

Please share

BW
It was not a good day. Not for us or the Moose.

One of those bang flop stories we hear about. One shot in the hump from a 6.5x55, then one through one shovel after he was down.

Closed the distance to get a better shot, partner said don't bother he's done for.

I knew better but the man was my employer so I let him do as he wished.
He went to cut it's throat, Moose jumped up and gave chase.

I snapped a shot to stop him, and it worked but it hit a bit low and just put him down again, but not out.
So now I was out of ammo and still had a live Moose to deal with.

At that point we knew better then to try cutting it's throat again so I suggested that we try to knock it out first.
Boss had a sledge in the truck. So we tried and wound up running for our lives, again.

Three times. Twice on the forehead, once between the ears. Then we went home and got more ammo.
We weren't gone long and the Moose was still there when we returned. And still very much alive.

If I had got my way, the third shot would have done the job. I was not happy. I never did like seeing an animal suffer, even if I had nothing to do with it's plight.

That was a very long time ago. I was young then and not known for standing up for what I know to be true.
Now I will not hunt with anyone who has authority over me.

I know the animals I hunt, I know what it takes to make a clean kill.

The bang flop shot is mostly a myth that fools believe in. It is possible if one hits the brain but that's a pretty small target hiding behind some very hard bone.

A lot of people make a lot of claims. The tip off is, when they get angry when challenged. No need for anger when you have truth on your side.

In the hands of a competent hunter, a .303 is plenty of rifle.
In the hands of a bang flop hunter, a .338 mag is not enough.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-16-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:

One of those bang flop stories we hear about. One shot in the hump from a 6.5x55, then one through one shovel after he was down.

Closed the distance to get a better shot, partner said don't bother he's done for.

I snapped a shot to stop him, and it worked but it hit a bit low and just put him down again, but not out.

At that point we knew better then to try cutting it's throat again so I suggested that we try to knock it out first.
Boss had a sledge in the truck. So we tried and wound up running for our lives, again.

Three times. Twice on the forehead, once between the ears. Then we went home and got more ammo.
We weren't gone long and the Moose was still there when we returned. And still very much alive.

If I had go my way the third shot would have done the job. I was not happy. I never did like seeing an animal suffer, even if I had nothing to do with it's plight.

That was a very long time ago. I was young then and not known for standing up for what I know to be true.

The bang flop shot is mostly a myth that fools believe in. It is possible if one hits the brain but that's a pretty small target hiding behind some very hard bone.

A lot of people make a lot of claims. The tip off is, when they get angry when challenged. No need for anger when you have truth on your side.

I just knew there was more to the story. Thanks for sharing.

Agreed bang flops are what you seen on YouTube!

Thanks again. You really ought to write a book, you have a fantastic way of sharing a story that make the reader feel like he's right there with you!

BW
Old 03-16-2017, 02:09 PM

I have heard many people go on and on about the best shot on moose being a shot in the hump, but unless you sever the spine, the moose is likely to get up again. As for the people that let animals suffer as they try and beat them to death rather than shoot them again, they should receive a swift kick in the privates.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sometimes its better to say nothing. This could be one of those times..
Old 03-16-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:

If I had got my way, the third shot would have done the job. I was not happy. I never did like seeing an animal suffer, even if I had nothing to do with it's plight.

I know better than most what it takes to get bang flops 99% of the time. I would not recommend that while hunting... There is a spot in front of the shoulder that can give you that effect. However, I'm not practiced up enough to do that...
Old 08-13-2017, 04:22 PM

I don't care what anybody says about the Lee Enfield rifles OR the .303 British cartridge, both are excellent .

You can get a bad rifle in any brand, one can find threads bashing pretty much all of the various brands.

All of the rifles chambered in .303 British that I own will do 2 MOA or better scoped or irons on any day in any condition and and I have killed animals in the worst of conditions at various distances with all of them.
that is good enough for me.
Cat
Old 08-13-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I don't care what anybody says about the Lee Enfield rifles OR the .303 British cartridge, both are excellent .

You can get a bad rifle in any brand, one can find threads bashing pretty much all of the various brands.

All of the rifles chambered in .303 British that I own will do 2 MOA or better scoped or irons on any day in any condition and and I have killed animals in the worst of conditions at various distances with all of them.
that is good enough for me.
Cat
Amen
Old 08-13-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Good times....
Old 08-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Banned

Cool vid ... Thank's !!!