Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-31-2017, 04:20 PM

Default elk hunting in WMU 400

hey guys, just wondering what the elk hunting is like in 400. going to be my first time hunting in that area and plan on doing some scouting this summer. any advice would be really appreciated!
Old 01-31-2017, 04:23 PM

Tough wild country. Guys who have been hunting them for years got them figured out. I've been working on the area about 10 yrs. Haven't been able to put one in the scope yet.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:33 PM

Get some good boots.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:40 PM

The area does get a huge amount of hunting pressure as it is very popular.
Harvest sucess ratio is 7% which is 63 Elk for 2015. This includes all locals who know the area extremely well and are the most successful group. When you scout this summer you will find some very nice looking areas that look very promising. The problem is when the season opens you will be blown away by the large amount of hunters that looked at the same places you did and are camping in every possible spot imaginable. Look at the Hunter harvest reports and do more preliminary scouting before burning fuel in your tank.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:58 PM

Definitely a high pressure hunting zone, as others have mentioned. You never know though... you just have to be in the right place at the right time.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:55 AM

Probably no camping close to vehicle this year though
Old 02-01-2017, 09:58 AM

There are elk in there, hunted hard, chased by quads and a lot of tough country for them to hide in
Old 02-01-2017, 11:23 AM

went for a drive out there around the opening of elk season came around a corner and thought a rv / atv dealership had opened up for the season . lots of hunting pressure . have seen a few dead bull elk in the backs of pickup trucks out there but never a live bull elk to put the cross hairs on but i keep trying .
Old 02-01-2017, 12:50 PM

thanks for the advice. I've read on other pages that its hunted hard , but is it a lot of road hunters or guys actually putting the miles on their boots?
Old 02-01-2017, 01:27 PM

hunting pressure is hard but most ppl stick pretty close to main trails. go into areas where quads can't get in and you wont see as many hunters and most likely will be successful.

good luck
Old 02-01-2017, 01:51 PM

The quad ban coming up in that area should be great for anybody who isn't a lazy ass and has a decent pack. Should see a ton of pressure drop off.

Same thing for me. I decided to go check it out during hunting season and didn't even get out of the truck there were so many trailers parked in there. Turned my ass around and went back to my favourite zone that doesn't allow quads.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernoutdoors View Post
thanks for the advice. I've read on other pages that its hunted hard , but is it a lot of road hunters or guys actually putting the miles on their boots?
It is hunted hard and people are everywhere. Every trail and cutline is being utilized by trucks, atv's and people. There is not much elbow room as most think they will get far enough away from the crowds by walking but they will hit the B.C. border before that happens.
Your luck will be best in 400 in later November when the Elk get pushed out of the B.C. side and you catch them on the way to the ranchers fields to the east as the temps drop and the snow gets to deep for them to feed. Getting permission is the hardest part of the hunt there. If anyone has experienced the Porky's early in the season that is the way much of 400 remains for most of the fall.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Like has been said before, the locals account for a lot of the success. I grew up in that country, and managed to take an elk out of there almost every year. There are lots of natural mineral licks(mineral rich springs) in that country. Find their trails and follow them to the licks.There are elk all over. Lots of times the elk get pushed into pockets of bush close to the roads because no one looks there. The key to getting animals in 400 is to be willing to hunt right until legal shooting time is up. I have taken most of my animals in the first 10 minutes of light or the last 10 minutes. Pressure drives animals to get up late and get out of sight early. I love hunting hot September days at a wallow as well if the flies are bad, you may be successful in the early afternoon if you can find a good wallow. The last few years, wolves have hit 400 pretty hard. Too bad there will be no more logging in there, makes awesome habitat for elk.(and visible for hunters) One more piece of advice. The reason why locals get more elk there is that they spend more days hunting. The more time you spend in the bush, the better your odds of getting one are. Good luck. Don't get discouraged, they are there!
Old 02-01-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk View Post
The quad ban coming up in that area should be great for anybody who isn't a lazy ass and has a decent pack. Should see a ton of pressure drop off.

Same thing for me. I decided to go check it out during hunting season and didn't even get out of the truck there were so many trailers parked in there. Turned my ass around and went back to my favourite zone that doesn't allow quads.
Wait until the pure nature lovers want to experience "quiet recreation" start showing up and hiking from hut to hut camping in Notleys new park. I think she has watched the show Field of Dreams too many times." If you build it they will come"
Old 02-02-2017, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Wait until the pure nature lovers want to experience "quiet recreation" start showing up and hiking from hut to hut camping in Notleys new park. I think she has watched the show Field of Dreams too many times." If you build it they will come"
Meh, I'm not too worried. Those nature lovers tend to stick to Banff, Canmore and Waterton. The lack of a starbucks within 100 km should keep most of them away.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpack View Post
There are elk in there, hunted hard, chased by quads and a lot of tough country for them to hide in
Never seen anyone ever chase elk on quads in the south, not really the terrain. There's still alot of hiding places where they get caught is in this burns but even still those areas have lots of cover.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Meh, I'm not too worried. Those nature lovers tend to stick to Banff, Canmore and Waterton. The lack of a starbucks within 100 km should keep most of them away.
Don't kid yourself.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
All you need is one of them to ruin a hunt .
Old 02-02-2017, 07:26 AM

There would be a lot less pressure here in the south if you put a gate up on highway 22 by Nanton some where,,
Old 02-02-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
Don't kid yourself.
yup they sit in Calgary and Edmonton in their fancy chairs watching the tube, never go to the mountains, believe all that the environmentalists are feeding them and have a vote. The vote is where we lose.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
yup they sit in Calgary and Edmonton in their fancy chairs watching the tube, never go to the mountains, believe all that the environmentalists are feeding them and have a vote. The vote is where we lose.
Agreed.and the user groups fight amongst themselves. So all will be lost as we know it
Old 02-02-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
My hope as well
Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM

Haha I like how if a guy asks a question about a wmu so many responses say high traffic area or busy area lol. Honestly unless you hunt private land...everywhere in Alberta is busy. Like 1000 other people will say, you gotta put in the work no matter where you go to get an animal on crown land. Sometimes you get lucky and have a chance first time out. Basically when you go to scout most important is just getting a lay of the land.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:12 PM

Hunted this zone for 3 hard days this past season in the heat of the so called rut but I did not lay my eyes on one elk. Went south of castle and saw nothing but bears and wolves. Went south and north of beaver mines lake and saw nothing but wolves. Went west of lynx creek and saw nothing but wolves. Ended up shooting a big male wolf on the last day. I couldn't be more brutally honest than this. I am sure they are their but its as tough as a hunt can get. I put on lots of miles on both my quad and my boots and plenty more through my optics. If I did it again I would focus on the area south and north of beaver mines lake and west, stay close to the 302 boundary. Good luck you'll need it, that is if the government doesn't shut it down. Bring extra bear spray, not kidding. I had an awesome time, beautiful country but a tough hunt.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:28 AM

There are definately elk in 400 over the pass years Ive killed 3 myself and passed on lots others while chasing sheep, have also guided and helped friends to a few as well. They are there gotta wear out some boots and horse shoes.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:08 PM

Default Stay outta 400!

It's full of wolves n grizz and mean quadders.....

And there's no elk there... so keep away
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 02-04-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
It's full of wolves n grizz and mean quadders.....

And there's no elk there... so keep away
Well there you have it. Must be true cause Bessie says so. Lots of Elk in this zone, just have to spend time and find out where they hang out.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:44 PM

You don't do sarcastic humour.....

Do ya?

Didn't think so.

I'll use the winky to clue you in next time.

It's comical that you get upset at people on the Net cause they disagree with you.

Relax.
Just because we may have diff opinions on stuff does not mean that I have any ill will towards you.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
You don't do sarcastic humour.....

Do ya?

Didn't think so.

I'll use the winky to clue you in next time.

It's comical that you get upset at people on the Net cause they disagree with you.

Relax.
Just because we may have diff opinions on stuff does not mean that I have any ill will towards you.
you'll be ok
Old 02-04-2017, 05:20 PM

Just wAtchin out for your feels.