Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-17-2017, 10:35 AM

Default Decoy hunting experiences

Hey Guys,
I have always wondered what others think about using decoys for hunting big game. I have never used them personally but think im going to be buying a montana elk decoy.

I have found a spot in 212 that holds a lot of elk particularly during the rut but are very weary to any calls. I have started using a treestand this year to intercept them on path to feed but need to get them to engage a little more as the path is not direct. cow calls have some effect but typically hold up before getting into range.

Has anyone used a decoy to try stalking elk in a field?

anyway, what is your experiences. Would love to hear what you all think.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:42 AM

I shot an elk a couple years back with the decoy out. They came into my calls and the decoy I had out seemed to settle them down. It wasn't what brought them in to begin with though.

LC
Old 01-17-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I shot an elk a couple years back with the decoy out. They came into my calls and the decoy I had out seemed to settle them down. It wasn't what brought them in to begin with though.

LC
interesting. Thats exactly what i would be looking for it to do. where I would be deploying is in some pretty thick stuff. with some cow calls they will respond and may even come for a look but are very timid and apprehensive. My idea would be that the decoy might take some of that edge off and possibly pull them a little closer.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:15 AM

Default Isn't this a dangerous practice.

I've seen them used by F&W to catch guys shooting from trucks out windows and across roads.

Be very careful.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:31 AM

I bought one to use for moose hunting two years ago. I had spotted two bulls fighting in a field with two cows watching. I didn't have permission in that field so I watched them for a while and then tried to contact the landowner who lived nearby with no luck. I returned to watch them for a while longer and they crossed into the next quarter over. I knew that landowner who also lived nearby so with a quick stop at his place I secured permission.

I parked out of sight and snuck down the fence line and tried to call them to me. They would look but not come any closer. I figured I didn't have anything to lose so I started working my way towards them softly calling occasionally. I worked my way about a quarter mile out into the stubble field and the Bulls just watched me somewhat curious. When I got within a hundred yards they became more interested. They would come in and try to circle downwind and I'd just keep moving so they couldn't get my scent. I had the smaller bull ranged at 25 yards but decided I wanted the bigger one. He would come in close but never at a good broadside angle. I had the bigger one broadside at what I think was around 40 yards but I couldn't get him ranged peaking around the decoy. I played with them for about a half hour but they eventually grew suspicious and moved on.

It was one of the most exciting moose hunting experiences I've had. The decoy worked very well. I struggled with manipulating the decoy and my bow and the range finders all at once. A partner would have been helpful or a better way to easily anchor the decoy without a lot of movement. I was at full draw more than once over the top of the decoy so it could be done.

In hindsight I should have just taken the smaller bull he was pretty good and I ended up shooting a much smaller one with my rifle.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I've seen them used by F&W to catch guys shooting from trucks out windows and across roads.

Be very careful.
This is in the bowzone and well away from any roads. The montana decoys are a printed on canvas type decoy.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:26 PM

Thats awesome tfng. That would be a very cool thing to experience for sure.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
Thats awesome tfng. That would be a very cool thing to experience for sure.
The funny thing about that day was that I had planned on setting up in a different spot and calling. I slept through my alarm and wasn't early enough to be set up in the dark. I almost didn't go out because I was mad at myself but thought I could do a little scouting around anyway.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
Hey Guys,
I have always wondered what others think about using decoys for hunting big game. I have never used them personally but think im going to be buying a montana elk decoy.

I have found a spot in 212 that holds a lot of elk particularly during the rut but are very weary to any calls. I have started using a treestand this year to intercept them on path to feed but need to get them to engage a little more as the path is not direct. cow calls have some effect but typically hold up before getting into range.

Has anyone used a decoy to try stalking elk in a field?

anyway, what is your experiences. Would love to hear what you all think.
If you're by yourself and you have a general idea of where the elk are approaching from, set the decoy up behind you about 30-40 yards if you can. The elk will be concentrating on the decoy and may walk right past you. At the very least if they hang up at 75 yards from the decoy, they will still be within bow range if you're half the distance.

Cow call only if they're timid.....

If you've got a partner that will call / handle the decoy, get him to move the decoy as the elk are approaching so that you are just off line between the elk and decoy so that you will have a better chance at a broadside shot. And maybe get him to wear some blaze orange somewhere in case there is some nuts looking for an easy decoy to shoot (errr.... elk?)

J.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
If you're by yourself and you have a general idea of where the elk are approaching from, set the decoy up behind you about 30-40 yards if you can. The elk will be concentrating on the decoy and may walk right past you. At the very least if they hang up at 75 yards from the decoy, they will still be within bow range if you're half the distance.

Cow call only if they're timid.....

If you've got a partner that will call / handle the decoy, get him to move the decoy as the elk are approaching so that you are just off line between the elk and decoy so that you will have a better chance at a broadside shot. And maybe get him to wear some blaze orange somewhere in case there is some nuts looking for an easy decoy to shoot (errr.... elk?)

J.
Ya, this is what i was thinking as well. I think if done right this could be a really effective way of helping my odds. Where I would be using this has several years of massive elk rut action, im talking probably 150 rubs in a acre. I am set up just off the edge of this area between the feed and the beds.