Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-22-2016, 12:33 PM

Default Anyone trapping magpies

Looking for info on trapping mags. I havent done much myself but looking into this winter as I've found a good use for the tail feathers. Spoke with a CO on it and there's no regulations on them as their a pest just porcupines. So was wondering who else traps them out there. How many can a guy normally get in a trap? Heard they figure out the traps after awhile. Where can you buy em or do you gotta custom make them.
Heard of a fellow in Edmonton think his name was Bill something or other that has trapped over 10,000 of them lol.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:15 PM

Default magpies

Lots of info here.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=MAGPIES
Old 11-22-2016, 03:08 PM

There is a fellow in Edmonton that traps them and he has trapped over 10k. He started in 1992.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
There is a fellow in Edmonton that traps them and he has trapped over 10k. He started in 1992.
That's awesome. I've heard about him. How does a guy get a hold of him??? Is he a member on here or email. Thanks a bunch.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
That's gong to help a lot. I gave it a shot at making my own trap today but no luck on catching anything yet.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:34 PM

Private message me your phone number and name and ill call Bill for you and let him know. I talked to him a little while ago and he's back trapping magpies after some health issues.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Private message me your phone number and name and ill call Bill for you and let him know. I talked to him a little while ago and he's back trapping magpies after some health issues.
Me too please.

Tks,

Gord

780 721 4521
Old 11-24-2016, 05:31 PM

Ok. I'll call Bill tonight and give him your number.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:01 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
That would be awesome. I'm new to actually trapping them myself and I'm having some difficulties on success. Names Tristan 780 726 4541 land line (no texting). Thanks again bud.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:12 PM

Gotta ask, what are you doing with them? PM me if it's super secret

Every once in a while they crap on my truck or pick at my deer, I get mad and blast a few. Usually they just get tossed in the bush.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:28 PM

Talked to bill tonight, he's at 518 magpies for this year. October 10th 2016 he hit 12000 lifetime total over 27 years.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:34 PM

I built a trap, but only caught a few magpies and lots of black birds. They all went to sleep peacefully
Old 11-27-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Talked to bill tonight, he's at 518 magpies for this year. October 10th 2016 he hit 12000 lifetime total over 27 years.
That's insane!!! I have had my trap I tried to make myself out all week and came up empty. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. They come by. Just sit there and then leave.....I'd like to touch base with him and get some pointers from him, possibly buy some traps off him if he's selling if you can put him touch thatd be much appreciated.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Banned

threw some scraps in my trap this morning. came back in half an hour and there were 20 or so in there. didn't go back for the rest of the afternoon but will check in the morning. most I can remember in it at one time is 49.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Gotta ask, what are you doing with them? PM me if it's super secret

Every once in a while they crap on my truck or pick at my deer, I get mad and blast a few. Usually they just get tossed in the bush.
I keep and use em for crafting and FN cultural arts. They're a easy substitute for other feathers that are mainly protected and harder to come by cause there's a whole permit and waiting period. Mag pies are much nicer too I think lol.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
threw some scraps in my trap this morning. came back in half an hour and there were 20 or so in there. didn't go back for the rest of the afternoon but will check in the morning. most I can remember in it at one time is 49.
Sent you a PM
Old 11-28-2016, 08:15 PM

just wondering, why would anyone specifacaly trap them??
Old 11-28-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
Because they're like Hyena's, loud and annoying sounds, kill song birds, raid nests, attack kittens and other small animals or pets.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
They're are ultra annoying and they are bad for eating the eyes out of calves and pups. I used to shoot em with a .22 like crazy during calving season. Youd be surprised the amount of ppl that I've met now that actually trap them.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:25 AM

Heard that steel used to make traps needs to be weathered and rusty, not bright and shiny. Made a trap a few years back, government article design, did not work so well. Magpies would walk in and then crawl back out. Ended up installing 4 - 1.5" long sharpened pins on entrance opening to trap (45 degree angle pointing in of course). Now magpies can walk in but cannot walk back out because pins poke them. Works like a charm now. No problem keeping magpie population in check around my acreage. Just place trap on plywood or wood floor, add dry dog food or better yet, wild game scraps, and usually have magpies in trap. Have also caught numerous robins (which I let loose), neighbors cats (which I also let loose) and, once even caught a baby coyote!
Old 11-29-2016, 12:34 AM

My 7 year old black Labrador hates them. I'm in the city so I can't feed them any lead. Cole is an outdoor dog, often he is sleeping and one will hop up to his back end and give him a sharp peck in the butt. The "dead test". Had a friend back in the 80s whose new Golden Retriever puppy lost both of his eyes to a magpie.
Love to see them in the crosshairs of my .17 hmr. Kinda the coyote of birds.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvTheOutdoors View Post
Looking for info on trapping mags. I havent done much myself but looking into this winter as I've found a good use for the tail feathers. Spoke with a CO on it and there's no regulations on them as their a pest just porcupines. So was wondering who else traps them out there. How many can a guy normally get in a trap? Heard they figure out the traps after awhile. Where can you buy em or do you gotta custom make them.
Heard of a fellow in Edmonton think his name was Bill something or other that has trapped over 10,000 of them lol.
I trap them all the time. I also have a few traps for sale if you need some. 50.00 each.
After I trap them I just live release them again.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I trap them all the time. I also have a few traps for sale if you need some. 50.00 each.
After I trap them I just live release them again.
I'll send you a PM
Old 01-26-2017, 09:02 PM

Bump. Anyone trapping magpies. Ill buy the tails off of you. 2.50 a tail as long as it has the 2 long center feathers on them.
*magpies are registered pests and not protected in Canada*
*no permits needed*
Old 01-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Banned

I imagine you are making some type of art project from the tail feathers. I agree that magpies are pests and a nuisance. I trap magpies on a regular basis just for fun and to show them to my grandkids. I then release them unharmed. I have mixed feelings about pulling the tail feathers off the magpie before releasing them.
I do have magpie traps for sale if you want to trap your own. It's easy and fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2017, 01:51 AM
AO Sponsor

You're supposed to hi them over the head, then pull the tail feathers. I don't think anybody is going o do it the way you suggest?
Old 01-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Banned

Default Anyone trapping magpies

[QUOTE=Marty S;3454758]You're supposed to hi them over the head, then pull the tail feathers. I don't think anybody is going o do it the way you suggest?[/QUOTEea]

It does make one wonder jf a magpie could fly properly with no tail feathers. I wonder if a tailless magpie would be shunned by his buddies in the charm
I get what your saying Marty. I will provide the traps to the OP, and he can harvest all the nuisance magpies that he wants.
Don't be surprised to see a magpie around my place this spring with a few tail feathers missing.
What would be a good name for a magpie with no tail feathers?

And no "Luckies" please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
You're supposed to hi them over the head, then pull the tail feathers. I don't think anybody is going o do it the way you suggest?
Thats what I meant. Ill take the tails i just only use the 2 middle ones though thats all usually the rest just goes in the junk pile.